Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Modification Question

K

karfever

I have decided on the B/B tri-flow exhaust. While diving into the car (recently purchased 90 Z-r1) and it's potential previous modifications, I find that it has flowmaster mufflers, a Corvette Consultant chip, and a open KN air filter.
My question is, should I go ahead and install the new exhaust, expecting a modest HP gain? Is this chip of any value or should I invest in a DRM chip, again expecting further HP gain?
Thanks always for the responses. This car has proven to be alot of fun and a refreshing change over the classic muscle cars I have owned.
:confused

If you make changes to the engine or the exhaust, I would have the chip re-calibrated in order to take into account the modifications you have performed.

Usually, DRM will ask you what kind of modifications have been done to the car prior to burning a chip for you.

Does it have a Flowmaster cat back or just the mufflers? If it already has a Flowmaster cat back you're not going to see much if any horsepower gain by switching to another cat back system. You also won't get much out of a chip at this point (no matter who burned it). You really have to do some more serious mods before custom prom tuning will have much effect. If you want some real power gains have the Plenum and Injector housings ported (around $1000) and you'll pick up 20-30hp. Or put on some headers (also around $1000) and you'll get about 20hp. Do both and add a dyno tuned prom and you'll be close to 400rwhp.

It has the mufflers only, not a cat back system.

before you decide to do the chip, install the new exh, and have the air fuel ratio measured on the dyno.

chances are, the new exh flow will only lean the mix out slightly.

you are looking for around 12.6-12.8 ideal, much over 13-1 at WOT is a bit lean, less than 12 is too rich for best power.

not that the DRM chip is bad, just not as effective as chips from

Marc Randolf
Marc Haibeck
Aaron Scott (SGC)

they do a better job of tuning the car. I would also if possible get some part throttle and driveability recordings with EASE or Datamaster or similar product to give the chip burner the best guidance on what the car "needs" for best performance.

they look at the inj and O2 readings at WOT and part throttle as well as the BLM and INT values to determine the chip changes.

without doing all this, it's kinda a shot in the dark guess and you might not get the best bang for the buck.

let us know how you like the B&B (especially note any below 2k resonance!!!) thanks!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom