Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Moisture in headlights

bassman

Corvette
2004 CE, 2006 Vert, 2010 GS
Anyone have a problem with moisture in the headlights??? I have a 2010 Grand Sport and both headlight housings have visable moisture inside.

With all the rain we had, isn't everyone here in Metro Atlanta having a moisture problem?
Seriously though, I don't have a C6 so I can't be sure but moisture in the headlight housing must be a defect either in manufacture or build wouldn't you think?

The headlights are vented and sometimes moisture gets inside when you wash the car or drive in the rain, this is normal. Turning your headlights on burns it away.

The headlights are vented and sometimes moisture gets inside when you wash the car or drive in the rain, this is normal. Turning your headlights on burns it away.

I believe Ugolino is correct. I remember seeing that explanation on the DVD that came with my 2006.

I've been getting it too with all of the high humidity here in Georgia.
Owners manual/dvd says its pretty normal. Run the lights for a while and it is supposed to go away.

Look like crap though!

Not your car of course...it is a true beauty!

There are air gaps around both high & low beam lamps. If you have moisture (usually humidity condensing on the underside of the lens.)
Here's what you can do~
1. You'll need to remove the access plug on the rear of the housing.
2. Blow inert gas (nitrogen) into the housing via hose.
3. Re-install the access plug with silicone grease (making it air tight.)

For insurance, you can use some silica gel sachets before you install access plugs. Don't ask me where to put them as this is overkill for me.

Blowing dry nitrogen into the housing will replace the wet air that is causing the condensation problem.

2010 Headlight Moisture FIX!!

Corvette Dudes,

I have a 2010 Grand Sport that developed a moisture problem like you all have reported. I thought at first, that I would have the local Corvette Service Center evaluate the problem. OK, so they would replace the head light assembly for around $1600.00 plus the labor.
My response was, "not only heck NO, with some added expletives." and decide to resolve the issue myself.
To not be verbose, I will give you a quick fix that works OK.
Here it is:

1. Jack up the car and remove the appropriate side tire.
2. Remove the several "push-pins" that hold the inner fender flashing to gain access to the headlight assembly.
3. Remove the rubber seal that covers the electrical connector (for replacing the light bulbs).
4. With the headlight enclosure ventilated in this manner, the moisture was evaporated within a couple of hours sitting in the hot sun.
5. Allow the assembly to cool (like in the garage) and then apply clear external caulk to the rubber seal and the surrounding clear plastic headlamp cover (this, by the way, is the most likely source of the in-leakage).
6. Ok, now replace the rubber seal that you removed in Step #3 above after inspecting it to see if the seal also needs some sealant. Use a good sealant (moisture proof) that is removable should you have to remove the seal sometime later to replace light bulbs. !!!
7. Replace the inner fender seal using the "push-pins" and replace the tire.

Ok, Dudes you are DONE

Remove the inspection door in the inner fender wells. They've probably left the access plugs loose on the rear of the headlight units.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom