Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

More air for C5 keeping somewhat stock

BobM

Corvette
2004 Black on Black Coupe
C5 enthusiasts,

I have an 04 C5 with 4K miles to date and finding myself looking at mods. I'm trying to keep it safe and have a couple of low impact air intake items to start. I have a KN filter coming, throttle heater bypass, smooth air bridge to thottle body connector (sorry about this vague description) and I just installed the the stock GM Z06 air filter cover. I though I would share a picture of the two different air filter covers for other C5 owners. It was $43.00 from GM directly and I see it for more at other sites.

Having fun with the new vette!!!

BobM

Welcome to the :CAC

I have the Twin K&N Ram Intake smooth tube and Corsa Touring Exhaust on ours.

Post a few pics of your Corvette when you get sometime.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Bob,
I see this is your first post! Welcome to the C5 Forums, and I completely understand your "mod fever." It hits every Corvette owner after a few months.

Have you considered upgrading the exhaust system? Do a forum search and you'll likely find several hundred threads: Borla vs. Corso vs. whomever. While the sound of the exhaust note seems to be what turns folks to one particular aftermarket exhaust system over all the others, there is a practical reason for doing it: freeing up horsepower. You will love the sudden change in performance after you do the upgrade.

Something to consider, anyway. :D

Hope to see you contributing more often!

-Patrick

Hello six shooter...

A few pics... First oil change, daily driver, etc.
I need to update the biography data...

BobM

Patrick,

Yes... New Exhaust is a must! My son (12 years old) and I say if nothing else the car is to quiet... :^).

I'm looking at the Corsa Touring with the Tiger Shark tips at the moment...

BobM

Too Cool - I kept my C4 for a couple of years with no mods (no serious ones anyhow) but pined for a C5..
there are tons of things you can do to a C5!

Keep us posted
Rain

To quiet

BobM said:
Patrick,

Yes... New Exhaust is a must! My son (12 years old) and I say if nothing else the car is to quiet... :^).

BobM
Hi Bob, I think youd be happy with the corsa touring it is relatively quiet at idle, but sounds great while on throttle. Also I have the tiger shark tips and I dont think theres anything out there better looking. P.s what part of mass are you from, you could be close enough to hear and see them.

Definitely do the exhaust system, the stock C5 exhaust is very wimpy to say the least.

6 Shooters exhaust sounds very good. No resonance and it growls when you get on it.

You can also get a used Z06 exhaust for pretty good prices. In my opinion, the Z06 exhaust sounds pretty mean.:D

BobM said:
Patrick,

BobM

Hi Bob,
You know, this afternoon I was flipping through the MidAmerica Direct catalogue, and they had pictures of the Bassani exhaust system, with the oval tips. If I didn't already have Borlas on mine, I'd be wanting those.

:cool
-Patrick

Edmond,

I thought of a used Z06, but I have read going though the effort of the exhaust change I would be happier with something more aggessive. My wife however things I'll sound like a teenager coming down the street. (Like My F150 5.4 which has a Gibson exhaust now :^). The Z06 may be a good compromise. Can you change the tips on the Z06 exhaust or are they welded on?

Thanks,
BobM

Patrick,

Thanks for more pointers... I put the K&N filter in over the weekend and at least the intake with the Z06 intake cover seems to give more response and a more intake growl...

BobM

BobM - Welcome, and congrats on jumping in with both feet! I also have an '04 coupe, and think you are going in the right direction. You might want to reconsider doing that throttle body bypass though (you mentioned that your car is a daily driver). It's there to prevent the throttle blade from freezing shut or sticking, in cold/damp weather. I used to live in MA, and know what the weather is like there. I think you will regret this mod (especially since it provides no gains). This post from a retired GM engineer may help place it in perspective.

:beer

Bob,

The Vette is daily only on nice days, but your point is well taken. I took a look at doing the install over the weekend and getting at the clamps under the throtle body seems like too much work and the data you have supplied will let me use the clamps that came with the kit to fix something else around the house :^)

Thanks,
BobM

ok - on these air filter housings...

I know these two, but I have one sitting on the shelf with NO opening on the cover..
what is that from?

attachment.php

The one with no opening is like the one on my 1998. It just draws air through the formed tubes on the sides. It's a wonder the engine runs at all.

Thanks - a few C5 owners have given me their old air boxes and I wondered what I had. (one is the stock C5, and the other is an early C5)

im looking at having my mufflers cut off and just throwing on a set of resonator tips. Heard some good things and the price is right on. Ill let you know when i get it done. Although im 18 i love noise!!

A big welcome the :CAC, I am glad you are getting into the mods, keep us updated on what has worked the best for you.

Welcome. You made a good decision on the airbox. Speaking from experience, be careful on the aftermarket exhaust decision though. I've been through a B&B RT66 Tri-Flo, a Z06, a GHL and back to the Z06. Unless you don't mind a constant drone (resonance) in the cabin at 65-70mph (level depends on the system), go with the Z06 - looks and flows air better than stock and gives a bit deeper note. Just my $.02.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom