Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MORE Photos From The CarConnection!

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2998_08.jpg

2997_08.jpg

2999_08.jpg

3000_08.jpg

While rumors of a super-powered Corvette continue to circulate, a reader of TheCarConnection has some convincing evidence that the project is a go. "Yonni G," a student nearMilford, Mich. - the site of GM's proving grounds - spotted this prototype on public roads last week.

"As I was driving I saw the prototype way ahead of me on the road, and it looked like a really aggressive Corvette. Luckily I had borrowed my dad's camera for a project at school and had it with me in the car and snapped some shots as it passed by. The car was amazing! It sounded very powerful and definitely did not seem like your everyday Corvette.

These shots show what's been hyped as a "Blue Devil" Corvette - so dubbed after GM CEO Rick Wagoner's alma mater, Duke University . The rumor mill suggests the super-Vette could become a reality in 2008, with a supercharged Z06-derived 7.0-liter V-8 with 600 hp and a $100,000 pricetag. Stay tuned to our auto show coverage in case the hottest Corvette ever makes a surprise appearance.

Source: TheCarConnection

• Admin
It kinda reminded me of one of Dick Landys hood scoops he used on his Challengers...just a thought!

My guess is the images showing an "undisguised scoop" are of a structure on the hood that is simply practical in nature, ie: they needed something (ugly as it might be) to cover the blower.

I'll also guess the latest images, showing the whole hood disguised, are of a car having a hood more like what would go to production.

Lastly, I'll guess that the Corvette SS is a MY09 program not an '08.

I'm with Hib,on the near production hood being completely disguised,
just hope the cover is ballooned with air, as that bulge appears obtrusive.
I suspect the C6-R design vented hood will be a logical choice for the SS bluedevil.
And the XLR-V has only a minor "under 1" tall" power dome, as GM advertising calls it,
necessary to cover the supercharged intakemanifold intercooled 4.4 DOHC Northstar powerplant.

Hib,
Any elaboration on why you think it's likely 2009 model year car? I tend to agree with you but just wanted to hear your experienced insight. It seems to me that at least a 3 year rollout of their existing supercar (starting in 2006) seems more reasonable. You can't reinvent the wheel every year, right? P.S. - I will absolutely own one of these too! Love my Z06!

it will never sell to the true old time corvette enthusiast because it does not have hide away headlights.

i do not think 650 HP corvettes are going to go over well with the enviromental libs in congress when GM tries to get help with its health care and pension problems

it will never sell to the true old time corvette enthusiast because it does not have hide away headlights.

Ahhh....but wouldn't the Solid Axle Corvette owners be considered "true old time Corvette enthusiasts?" And the Solid Axle cars had exposed headlights.

;)

Ahhh....but wouldn't the Solid Axle Corvette owners be considered "true old time Corvette enthusiasts?" And the Solid Axle cars had exposed headlights.

;)

:v

Yes Rob you are pointing out a fact that many have forgotten.

The Vette had exposed headlights for its first 10 years whats wrong with having exposed headlights? Personally I like the idea less moving parts less to break later on

i must admit i have a soft spot for the solid axles :D Steve

Hib,
Any elaboration on why you think it's likely 2009 model year car? I tend to agree with you but just wanted to hear your experienced insight. It seems to me that at least a 3 year rollout of their existing supercar (starting in 2006) seems more reasonable. You can't reinvent the wheel every year, right? P.S. - I will absolutely own one of these too! Love my Z06!

Well...in a conversation Tom Wallace had with a number of Corvette owners in public at the Utah ALMS race last summer, he said the "Corvette SS", while having not recived final approval, will probably be an '09 program, but we might actually see product near the end of 08.

My source is journalist who was there and heard Mr. Wallace make the statement.

I'll add that the blower on a 427 making 620hp is going to be bigger than the one on the LC3. That might be why the initial images we're seeing seem to indicate a substantial hood scoop.

That said, it's pretty unlikely they'll go to production with something that big, 1) because it's totally fugly and 2) a power bulge that big may violate laws pertaining to driver vision in some states.

Why is the scoop on protos so big. Oh crap--I just love to speculate so...it might be because 1) GM wants to create some buzz, and/or 2) the final aero studies of the intake are not complete so the scoop is really big so as not to restrict air intake during development 3) it's someone's cruel joke and there's no supercharged engine at all.
:)

Hib I think your comments are "spot on"!

Well...in a conversation Tom Wallace had with a number of Corvette owners in public at the Utah ALMS race last summer, he said the "Corvette SS", while having not recived final approval, will probably be an '09 program, but we might actually see product near the end of 08.

My source is journalist who was there and heard Mr. Wallace make the statement.

I'll add that the blower on a 427 making 620hp is going to be bigger than the one on the LC3. That might be why the initial images we're seeing seem to indicate a substantial hood scoop.

That said, it's pretty unlikely they'll go to production with something that big, 1) because it's totally fugly and 2) a power bulge that big may violate laws pertaining to driver vision in some states.

Why is the scoop on protos so big. Oh crap--I just love to speculate so...it might be because 1) GM wants to create some buzz, and/or 2) the final aero studies of the intake are not complete so the scoop is really big so as not to restrict air intake during development 3) it's someone's cruel joke and there's no supercharged engine at all.
:)

Hib:
I think you pretty much hit the mark as far a explanations. Yes, if you look at the frontal pic of the silver Blue Delvil with the black hood bra, you can't help but wonder if the driver could even spot a pothole in the road - the sight lines accross that hood are certainly not optimal!

Just looking at it, it looks like a "mule" to sort out the mechanicals. The aero santitized street version we haven't really seen yet. Why cover the rear of the vehicle though? Just to confuse people? Or is there some new rear end body treatments to distinguish this car from the Z06?
Skip

Since the Corvette SS, if it actually goes to production, will be an 09 program, I'll bet that GM also may be considering a slight restyling of the rear of that car--like what they did for the ZR-1 in the 90-95 era. Or maybe all C6s are going to get a rear facelift (buttlift?).

These are the best pics I have seen of the famous SS Corvette

Hey my two cents for what it's worth....

It will employ a far more normal hood then the picture implies. It will be only slightly different in appearance then the Z06. What will be unique is the twin intercooler system (for a lack of better term), have even bigger brakes, have more use of weight savings materials and technology. And give a us a hint of some changes coming on the next Z06 the following year. Some of the technology is truly amazing. And, get this, they will even provide a seat with bolsters!

I think you will be amazed at the fuel mileage this thing will get, as well as some other technological advances.

Oh, if you think pricing of the Z06 was taken advantage of by the dealers, wait until you see the dealers "f" this one up. I know they will be taking advantage of their Corvette failthful even more so, and to hell with the long term consequences. So, expect the dealers to tack on $10K, $15K even up to $20K on TOP of MSRP!

What really irks me is the fact that so many of us what to buy a Z06 and the brass is content with letting their dealers continue raping us faithful Corvette customers. All they have to do is up production 25% on the Z06. But, oh no, they would rather contue to screw the most faithful customers they have.

GM??? IT IS TIME to pull your head completely out of your proverbial asses! Or, suffer the consequences and watch your cash darling get surpassed by the new Mustang products that are coming down the road.

I'd rather die then buy a Mustang, but GM isn't giving their most faithful of Chevy fans much of a choice, are they??? Even though I can afford to spend $100k on a car, I choose not to. There are more important things then padding the pockets of GM corporate.

Hey my two cents for what it's worth....

GM??? IT IS TIME to pull your head completely out of your proverbial asses! Or, suffer the consequences and watch your cash darling get surpassed by the new Mustang products that are coming down the road.

I can only laugh.
What a foolish comment.
First, there's no "Mustang product" that will come close to the current Z06 in the foreseeable future. Sure that Ford V-8 with the blower on it makes 500hp but...Fords engines are such poor designs, they can't do it without boost and it's in a platform 300-400 lbs heavier than a C6.

As for this...

All they have to do is up production 25% on the Z06. But, oh no, they would rather contue to screw the most faithful customers they have.

...yet another "brilliant" comment. S**t, Red02Firehawk, who writes your stuff? A three-year old?

The reason Z06s are constrained is because there's a limit to how many LS7s GM Powertrain can make. It's about 8200-8500 annually. Kinda hard to make cars with no motors, wouldn't you think?

As for screwing the most "faithful customers..." and such blather. I've heard that so many times about the Corvette but, it still sells out its production every year. It still makes a ton of money for GM. Doesn't look like customers are going to feel "screwed enough" to stop buying them anytime soon.

;)

Amen Brother. Truer words were never spoken. The Corvette was 10 years old before they put it's eyes out.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom