Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

More Than You Ever Wanted to Know on the 2004 Commemorative Z06!

67HEAVEN said:
One more thing. :D How many of you knew that that beautiful LS6 is built just a hop-skip-and-a-jump* from me in St. Catharines, Ontario Canada?

So, how's it feel driving a Canadian car? ;LOL

(NOTE: The hop-skip-and-a-jump reference is in celebration of Easter. :D )
Any respectable Corvette fan should know that...plus all LS1 engines , and other GM engines are assembled in St Catherines. Do you know where else Corvette engines were built before St. Cathies became the exclusive Corvette engine plant?

Looks like im back in

I must be doing something wrong when logging on, now i got on, last night i couldn't. what am i doing wrong? anyway i hope OUR Z16's are getting more rare by the days!

How many built so far? anyone know?

thanks Tony

Tonys Torch!

Where is that parking picture you promised?

I'm glad you people like my article. It was fun to do that road test.

As Rob mentioned in his "Ed. Note" at the end of the story, The Fairest Sandra the Red and I are proud owners of a Z06 LMCE which now carries the name coined in the magazine test, "Blue Bullet".

In fact, 00039 is a former GM Captured Test Fleet car which was sold at acution to Colussey Chevrolet in Pittsburg and then went to Tom Henry Chevrolet in Bakerstown where we bought it. The car had 7100 miles on it and it's only problem is sometime in its past life, the tire inflation kit had been removed from the car. I find that these kits, when bought new from GM, have an obscene price. Does anyone know of anyone who has (very unfortunately) a wrecked Z06 from which they might sell me the inflation kit cheap?

Hib,

Loved the article, and also have the car as well. It sure is my dream car, and is ceratainly a long way from my first car, a Mazda 606 (1300 cc engine and a manual choke, it was more like todays lawn tractors:L ). I'm sure no-one remebers it.
Anyway, now here I am on a thread with you, wow. So if I may be so bold as to offer you a suggestion, there is a site called www.gmpartsdirect.com I find they often have better prices. Also I can't remember the name but someone either here or on corevtteforum will know it, but there is a dealership somewhere in the midwest that has killer prices on GM parts, I have ordered from them in the past. I'll try and find the name and number.
I have not even looked in the kit yet, but it must contain something super special. I think I may join AAA just for emergencys. I have only had one flat in 23 years of driving, now that I said that I'm sure I'll end up stranded somewhere real out of the way.
Thanks for a great article and your contributions to the Vette world.:beer

Gonzo

Hib Halverson said:
I'm glad you people like my article. It was fun to do that road test.
Your article about the 2002 electron blue Z06 was the first step on the path of my getting my own eb 2002 Z06.

DRTH VTR said:
Your article about the 2002 electron blue Z06 was the first step on the path of my getting my own eb 2002 Z06.

And...I remember that EB 02. In fact, three years ago, we ran that sucker over the same mountain road we used to test the 04 Z16. While I really think the paint scheme on the LMCE is pretty cool, 02 EB is, IMO, one of the two best looking solid blues in Corvette history. The other is a Corvette color GM had in the early 90s called "Quasar Blue." I have a pal who currently has a 98 convert. but used to have a Quasar Blue coupe. It was the coolest looking car.

Thanks for the review - confirms what I am experiencing

Thanks Hib - was a very thorough review.
I just returned from finishing up a three year job in Saudi, none too soon, to start driving my own Z16. It is awesome! Took a drive up Mary's Peak, local blast up the mountain, last week and it was so much fun. Only thing that could have made it more fun is if I could have had a 'top down'. Took it to the Oregon Coast two days ago, through the mountains again, love the power and cornering.
Going out to Shedd to meet someone with a Z, who I connected through CAC last winter while in Saudi. We'll have breakfast and enjoy the wonderful Oregon sunshine.
Derald

Hib:

I too have a Z16 and thought your write up on a awesome car was great! Now, can you tell us Corvette junkies whether or not you wil be keeping your Z16 stock or do you plan any mods?

Thanks.

Zohhh6 said:
Hib:

I too have a Z16 and thought your write up on a awesome car was great! Now, can you tell us Corvette junkies whether or not you wil be keeping your Z16 stock or do you plan any mods?

Thanks.
Hib? Keep a Corvette stock? Surely you jest! :L

Zohhh6 said:
Hib:

Thanks.

It's been a while since I looked at this thread. Sorry for the long delay.

Will I keep it stock?
Rob answered for me.
:)

At this point, all I've done to ole "Balls 39" is put Red Line products in the car...10W30 engine oil, a mix of D4 ATF and MTL in the trans and 75W80 in the axle. I ran the car on the chassis dyno at Westech last fall and it made 363hp@6000 at the wheels, which is pretty good for a bone stock Z06.

My first round of mods will be:

A Green Filter
A set of Denso Iridium Power spark plugs.
MSD ign. wires.
170 deg. thermostat from Corvette Central
Z-Industries ECM calibration
Aeroquip braided hose for the power steering pressure line
Red Line Power Steering Fluid.
Aeroquip braided brake hoses
Slight lowering.

Second round might be:
AFR heads
Crane cam and valve train
Headers
Z-Insustries ECM cal. to match.
Some kind of intake kit.

Hib Halverson said:
It's been a while since I looked at this thread. Sorry for the long delay.

Will I keep it stock?
Rob answered for me.
:)

At this point, all I've done to ole "Balls 39" is put Red Line products in the car...10W30 engine oil, a mix of D4 ATF and MTL in the trans and 75W80 in the axle. I ran the car on the chassis dyno at Westech last fall and it made 363hp@6000 at the wheels, which is pretty good for a bone stock Z06.

My first round of mods will be:

A Green Filter
A set of Denso Iridium Power spark plugs.
MSD ign. wires.
170 deg. thermostat from Corvette Central
Z-Industries ECM calibration
Aeroquip braided hose for the power steering pressure line
Red Line Power Steering Fluid.
Aeroquip braided brake hoses
Slight lowering.

Second round might be:
AFR heads
Crane cam and valve train
Headers
Z-Insustries ECM cal. to match.
Some kind of intake kit.

Hib:
No problem, I too on the delay mode!
Now tell me about lowering the car, what are your plans??
That is something I would like to explore without loosing shock travel on California roads.

Zohhh6 said:
Hib:
No problem, I too on the delay mode!
Now tell me about lowering the car, what are your plans??
That is something I would like to explore without loosing shock travel on California roads.

Well...another long delay for me in posting here but I've already lowered the car, but not much. Generally, C5s don't respond well to lowering more than the stock spring bolts allow *unless* you're willing to accept a significant decrease in ride quality.

In the front, I lowered it to the maximum listed in the service manual. In the rear I went 1/2-in.

As for mods, so far, I've got:
Green Filter.
Red LIne 10w30 Engine Oil
RL Superlight Shockproof in the trans
RL Heavy Shockproof in the axle
RL Power Steering Fluid in the steering
A set of Crane Quick-Lift 1.8 rockers and Crane dual valve springs
Denso IT-20s
MSD Super Conductor plug wires.

So far I'm at 365.5 at the wheels.

To come in the immediate future are:
A 170 'stat
An SLP Blackwing air filter assembly.
Aeroquip brake hoses.
A little DIY calibration work with a Crane Cams handheld reprogrammer.

I'd be happy with 370-372 at the wheels once those things are done.

Who would I need to contact about getting a copy of the article for my Z16's historical file? Any idea?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom