Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Morning Hard Start

H

Hijinx

Guys, the '73 is a real bear to start after it has sat for a while. After the first start, she starts just fine. However, that first start often runs the battery down and I have to jump it to get it going. Then I can drive it around all day with no problem. Any thoughts?

Got a new battery today, and that helped a lot. However, still having trouble with that first startup. Could it be a weak fuel pump? It seems that she is not getting enough gas. I have to pump and pump the pedal and then she will finally start. Stinks to high heaven at first too, but no smoke! I'm stumped!

Are you running a Quadra-Jet?

A common problem (sometimes) is they lose the seal on the underside of the carb, and fuel leaks down out of the carb. esp. after sitting awhile. Mine drains down after about 6 or 8 hours then I have to pump the thing like crazy to get her started, but then no problem until the next morning or so.

Have to pull the carb and plug the holes on the bottom. It has been suggested to use JB-Weld. At this point is seems more work that what it is worth ;)

Bud,
Do you need to send me your carb too?:dance
Mike

Rare81 said:
At this point is seems more work that what it is worth ;)

Hey Mike, besides the down time, gas doesn't set in the carb between drives.. that is sometimes two weekends apart :D

By the way Dog is getting a new intake gasget and carb installed this coming Wednesday..... yep it was actually the intake leaking water :eek

BudD
:w

Rare81 is right. That is a common problem, but with the small fuel bowl of the Quadrajet it still shouldn't be so hard to start that it runs down the battery. Check out the choke. With the car off, push the gas pedal to the floor, get out, and check that the choke is fully on. The choke linkage on Quadrajets is pretty complex. It can be hard to tell if something is wrong just by looking at it. BTW, what style choke is it? You should probably epoxy those plugs in any case. A weak fuel pump is also a possibility, especially with leaky plugs.

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom