Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Motor Blown! Rebuild or Crate It?

vettej1

Corvette
1972 Red Convertible
Hey Folks, need some input.
Motor broke last weekend. (took me this long to talk about it without drenching the keyboard :cry)
I have a 72 convertible with the original matching mill.
I'm torn with all the numbers matching "garbage". Should I rebuild her or get a crate?

Push me off the fence.

John

Absolutely, do not EVER rebuild that engine.

I had rebuilt my #match 427 and it was the damn dumbest thing that I did. I had to pull the 427 and I now have a zz440 and it runs very well.

Besides, you'll have to wait and wait and wait for a rebuilder. You can have a crate engine in a week.

DON'T DO IT, IMHO.

GM crate ZZ4 here with a warrentee. It runs like a clock and am very happy with it.

Bill

If the old mill is rebuildable make sure you put it away somewhere safe cause like it or not numbers matching=$$$ and the next guy can rebuild it.

So do all 72 Convertibles come with 427 engines?? If not what engine do you have now?? Also what do you plan to do with the car in the future? What condition is the rest of the car? What do you expect as a result of the engine changeover? Are you thinking of making any mods like headers, induction changes, cam, etc.? I don't think a generalization to put a crate motor in it until all the facts are known is a good way to make this decision. Crate motors are a great way to make a quick swap and are generally bullet proof. However, I have had numerous engines rebuilt by COMPETENT machine shops and they are just as good or better than the crates. Of course if you choose to rebuild then you should have the skills and tools to re-check things like torque on the rods and mains, clearances on thrust bearing, and things like that. I always have the heads left off so I can inspect the cylinder walls and make sure the pistons have been installed correctly. Further, I always run a tap through all the headbolt holes in the block to be sure they are clean so I can torque heads properly. Not knocking anyone elses suggestions just giving my $.02 worth.

Randy

vettej1 said:
I have a 72 convertible with the original matching mill.
I'm torn with all the numbers matching "garbage". Should I rebuild her or get a crate?

Push me off the fence.

John
If it is a Matching #!, I'd certainly Rebuild it!!!! But I'm a OEM Kinda Guy!! All my vettes are matching #!! I don't Mod it,I just buy a Faster one!! And the Junk has just acquired a Black 02 Z06 with some Damage,I can't wait to get it Repaired!!!!!:lou :lou :lou

gmjunkie said:
If it is a Matching #!, I'd certainly Rebuild it!!!! But I'm a OEM Kinda Guy!! All my vettes are matching #!! I don't Mod it,I just buy a Faster one!! And the Junk has just acquired a Black 02 Z06 with some Damage,I can't wait to get it Repaired!!!!!:lou :lou :lou

OH MY GOD!!! Let's hope the repairs take a looooooooong time!!:L :W :w

Randy

If your car wasn't pristine to begin with and/or you had already planned on modifying it, go with a crate. You can go as mild or as crazy as you want. Your choice in power is limited only by your budget. Even if you car is pristine, I'd still replace the engine with a crate and just box up the original motor. IF you ever got around to selling your car as a "numbers matching blah blah blah" car, let the next guy worry about rebuilding the blown engine. In the meantime, get a crate engine and get back out on the road!

Keep in mind though that more power can lead to other things breaking...whetever the next weakest link is in your system, that will be the next thing you'll be fixing/replacing.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys.
Just to answer a couple questions. I bought this car 5 years ago and have been rebuilding it ever since. It's got the stock 350 in it mated to the muncie 4 sp.
It is not pristine but, I have rebuilt the complete chasis and the interior. The only thing left really is paint and a new top.

John

I think EVO1980 is right - more power leads to more breaking - this decision is totally budget driven - you have invested in the car, so continue to invest - the motor should get rebuilt at some time - but maybe not by you - if you want to keep on driving and take advantage of all of the stuff you have already done, then crate it with something strong and reliable - keep the original for sure and when budget permits get it redone. Matching numbers is about the only thing makes these cars valuable someday...having the numbers matching and a good solid crate is a bonus I would think...

Simple answer...your cars value is with the Original Motor! You can rebuild it with any performance you like...from mild to wild... If you're going to re-sale it anytime soon (sometimes it's unplanned). The Original Motor will get the most return $$$. Plus you don't have to store it (and rust out), if you get a crate.

John/vettej1:
72 with stock 350 ... can't say for sure but your avatar pic looks like maybe an LT1 hood. If car's a real LT1 with original LT1 350 ... if so and that motor is repairable ... you'd be doing yourself & your car a disservice if you change motors ... likely to be regretful if you lost/junked a matching, repairable LT1 motor. If it's not an LT1 car, but has OE L48 ... get whatever crate'll work for you ... but DO store the OE L48 for posterity.

If you're experienced with area shops & KNOW what you're doing & what they're doing ... a local built motor is as good as a crate.
JACK:gap

You have to ask yourself.

Is this car for me or the next owner?

Unless you want crap loads of HP, don't let some yahoo build you a motor, get a new one.

GM keeps my Vette alive.

(if it's an LT1 or a big block rebuild it)

You have to make the decision. As the others said the OEM engine is more vaubale then any crate will be. Crates have been around for years and for the most part pretty good but they've had problems too- luckliy they are covered by a warranty.
Do you know exactly what's wrong with your engine now? That's what I would find out first. If you're not experienced with checking this then find someone who will look at it. Finding a GOOD machine shop isn't easy either. I've used both good and bad shops. I only found out about the bad shop after checking their machine work myself and finding they purposely overbored it and if used it would have failed.
I would do a bit of research before making any decisions unless you just want to get it on the road. I running a 80 crate motor bottom end with better heads and cam,intake, exhaust. It flys but I also know it has cast pistons in it so drive to a limit. This was a USA made long block crate and used as it came out of the crate and it was fine. When we pulled the heads years later and looked them over they were built CHEAP and I was surprised they lasted as long as they did.
I just rebuilt the orignal 350-200 out of my 72 coupe. With a set of heds and cam it's pushing about 325 hp which is all I need to cruise with.

Good luck in your decision

It's not an LT1, the avatar was off this site.

It's an original stock 350.

This car is for me, nobody else.

I've got the motor pretty well stripped down, I will probably pull it out on Tues. or Wed.
Heads "look" OK from up top anyway, all push rods are straight. When I was removing the fluids got a ton of anti-freeze out the pan. So I'm guessing that a rod broke, and a cylinder wall is cracked. But I won't know for sure until I pull the motor out.

Thanks for the input guys, I keep you informed.

Koop said:
Is this car for me or the next owner?
NICE! That's a quote I'm going to remember and likely use when this same topic comes up again by someone else in 3 months! (Unless of course, you'd be offended with me stealing your line. I'd give you the credit though! :L)

Evolution1980 said:
NICE! That's a quote I'm going to remember and likely use when this same topic comes up again by someone else in 3 months! (Unless of course, you'd be offended with me stealing your line. I'd give you the credit though! :L)

Use that line? Looking at the list of stuff on your Vette I'd say you live that line!

It's my Vette, it's just the way I like it. My numbers don't match and I don't care :booty .

Koop said:
Use that line? Looking at the list of stuff on your Vette I'd say you live that line!

It's my Vette, it's just the way I like it. My numbers don't match and I don't care :booty .
Exactly...I think too many people put too much emphasis on what "the next owner" might want? Next owner??? Who the hell cares about "the next owner"??? My concern is keeping the current owner happy! And I don't plan on ever selling my car. Why does everyone concern themselves with the possibliity of reselling the car, unless that's an idea you have going into the initial purchase of the car. Like you, I'm going to enjoy it now, the way I want it!
I think my car is 1000 times better than stock, and anyone looking to buy my car would realize that. Anyways, as is, mine would possibly sell for more than an excellent condition 1980 vette! AND...ya put my vette next to a stock 1980 vette, and guess who's getting more attention??? (No offense to the owners of stock '80 vettes...)

So I get the best of both worlds and I get it now! NCRS is for garage queens. Neither me nor my car is of that ilk and it doesn't bother me one bit! :D If we were all concerned with original parts value, we would never have seen Chris McDonald's "Killer" or Bob's "67Heaven" or any of the other awesome 'non-original' vettes around the CAC.
:upthumbs

If your block is junk then the decision is easy. :D You don't have anything to rebuild. Let us know what you find when the heads are off.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom