Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Motor Oil

jmhorn52

Corvette
2008 Yellow ZHZ
I have started seeing advertising for bio motor oils for cars. With all the knowledgable people here I was wondering if anyone has used this in their vette or know if any is suitable for use in it. The companies said it has been approved for use in motor vehicles even high performance engines. Any info would be appreciated. The brand I saw advertised is G-oil. Thanks

I'm not going to trust anything in Baby that hasn't been proven over time to go the distance. It may be that this is the newest thing but I don't really want to be the marketing guinea pig to find out if it works long range or not. Its made from beef tallow and nanos....hmmmm.....it's nice to be green but I think I will pass at this point.....that's my thinking anyway.

Actually, it's been around for a few Years and is API approved. It met the same tests as the rest of the full synthetics. There is a lot of stuff on the net about it from car forums to "Bob the Oil Guy." Nothing I read was really negative. Who knows....

Actually, it's been around for a few Years and is API approved. It met the same tests as the rest of the full synthetics. There is a lot of stuff on the net about it from car forums to "Bob the Oil Guy." Nothing I read was really negative. Who knows....

I haven't researched this product much, yet, but I read most of the content about their synthetic engine oil on their web site.

Some things stuck out like sore thumbs.

1) No where do they say what type of base stock they use, Group IV or V. If they won't state that, I am uncomfortable.

2) In their synthetic oil information they say...
Conventional oil lasts about 3000 miles where as our G-Oil full synthetic lasts up to 7,500 miles!
...which is partially marketing BS. Conventional oils will last far longer than 3000 miles. I'll add that their synthetic only lasting 7500 miles (if we are to to take their word) makes it inferior to Mobil 1 and vastly inferior to products from Group V base stocks, such as Red Line.

3) The only info they give about their base stocks is that they are...
non-toxic, renewable and/or less toxic reusable "environmentally preferred" base stocks that meet and exceed the highest performance criteria
...pretty nebulous if you ask me.

4) Lastly the stuff is expensive, $8.95 a qt. For two bucks more you can buy the best synthetic on the market, Red Line but for 50 cents less a quart you can get Mobil 1 which is a better oil.

But...more research needs to be done.

Thanks for the input, I will continue to use Mobil 1 for now.

Green oil ?

I haven't researched this product much, yet, but I read most of the content about their synthetic engine oil on their web site.

Some things stuck out like sore thumbs.

1) No where do they say what type of base stock they use, Group IV or V. If they won't state that, I am uncomfortable.

2) In their synthetic oil information they say......which is partially marketing BS. Conventional oils will last far longer than 3000 miles. I'll add that their synthetic only lasting 7500 miles (if we are to to take their word) makes it inferior to Mobil 1 and vastly inferior to products from Group V base stocks, such as Red Line.

3) The only info they give about their base stocks is that they are......pretty nebulous if you ask me.

4) Lastly the stuff is expensive, $8.95 a qt. For two bucks more you can buy the best synthetic on the market, Red Line but for 50 cents less a quart you can get Mobil 1 which is a better oil.

But...more research needs to be done.

:confused My 2003 came with Mobil-1 5w/30 which I'll keep feeding it. Like Hib said, If I wanted something better I'll put in Red Line or Royal purple.

I used mobil-1 exclusively in my LT-1, and I was wondering what GM uses in the new Corvettes?
I just purchased a 2013 GS but I didn't purchase a service plan, although I plan on having the dealership take care of the car for extended warranty purposes - if something does happen I don't want there to be any questions regarding service.

But if I needed an oil change and didn't want to make the trip to NH would I want to use Mobil-1?

Just curious.

-JS

To the best of my knowledge Mobil1 is still the oil recommended

I used mobil-1 exclusively in my LT-1, and I was wondering what GM uses in the new Corvettes?
I just purchased a 2013 GS but I didn't purchase a service plan, although I plan on having the dealership take care of the car for extended warranty purposes - if something does happen I don't want there to be any questions regarding service.

But if I needed an oil change and didn't want to make the trip to NH would I want to use Mobil-1?

Just curious.

-JS

GM's latest and greatest is Dexos. Mobil 1 is Dexos approved so I would assume that it would be fine. I just got done replacing my 20 year old valve springs/valve seals in my 93 LT1. You can eat off the inside of this engine. Its that clean. Previous owners obviously at least changed the oil. I'll keep running Mobil 1. :thumb

Just curious.

-JS

As of the 2012 model year, only the dry-sump LS3, LS7 and LS9 were filled with Mobil 1. The rest of Corvette engines were filled with Dexos.

Thanks for all the responses. I never heard of Dexos before.

-John

Here is a link to dexos........

GM dexos information center

The key words are...Licensed Dexos oils and Dexos is a trademark of GM......meaning that if anyone wants their oil used in a GM car they pay GM to have the right to put the little Dexos label on their oil jug......Mobil 1 did that.

DExos is GM branded oil. The are 2 types the oil Dexos1 for gas engines Dexos2 for diesel. GM cant void your warranty for using other oil unless they can prove the oil you used caused the failure

DExos is GM branded oil. The are 2 types the oil Dexos1 for gas engines Dexos2 for diesel. GM cant void your warranty for using other oil unless they can prove the oil you used caused the failure

Dexos is more a spec more than a "brand." We are beginning to see the Dexos seal on other branded oil. I noticed that the seal on a major brand semi synthetic I bought for my daughter's Hyundai. Hopefully, we'll see every oil company get certified so we don't have to worry about brands versus warranty.

All oil company that use the dexos logo add to meet the specs from GM and have to pay something like 10 cents per quart. You can imagine the amount of money it means whit the volume these company sell. Most of the synthetic oil (and many semi-syntetic now available)from major brand meet or exceed all those requirements but company do not want to pay GM the money it will cost them to have the right to put the logo on there products. Gm claim that the use of not approved dexos engine oil will void the waranty on the engine. To bad it is in french, but last year, on a formation day (I am a mecanic tech.) the showed us a translation of a letter send from GM to some of there BIG customer like us mail and huge company, whit large fleet of vehicule, that the use of regular oil from major brand company, whit a proper maintenance schedule, will NOT void there waranty. Funny how volume can change things...:eyerole

Sorry for my poor english, I will call the instructor from that formation and ask him if, by chance he has the english version of this letter. stephane

Thanks for all the great information everyone.

-John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom