Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MP3 player

Don

Corvette
2006 Victory Red Coupe
OK. I need some help. How does a mp3 play through the radio on a C6? What do you do? I don't see a place it would plug in.

This is old fashioned but burning the files to recordable CD root or in folders makes it easier for me to navigate playlists using the existing controls while driving, though 120 songs or so might not be what you are looking for.

Thanks, I now have a handle on how the MP3's play in the C6.
Thanks again.

As long as you DON'T have the NAV system.....

caddy said:
As long as you DON'T have the NAV system.....

WRONG...

The 05 C6's with NAV have a new update from the dealer that enables them to play MP3's.

And the 06's have that capabilty from the factory, also there is now a 6 stacker CD add on for NAVS that fits in the passenger side cubby hole that also plays MP3's

I just ordered one from a Dealer up in Montana (I think) and he told me that the New Unit DOES NOT play MP3's I hope he's wrong and your right, but I'm just repeating to you what he told me, by the way does this update to the 05' C6 Nav system cost anything?

If you go to this site, this is where I ordered it (the Nav system 6 CD changer) It's up in Montana
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1247815&forum_id=74

We are pleased to announce that GM has added another product to the growing Genuine Corvette Accessories portfolio. The remote-mounted 6-disc CD Changer is now available for the 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette coupe and convertible. This unit installs in the rear storage compartment and holds six discs for hours of listening entertainment. Now you don't have to give up the CD changer just because you ordered the Navigation System (RPO U3U).

We have the ability to place orders for the new changer immediately!!

The units will install on Corvettes as follows:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette equipped with Navigation System (RPO U3U) produced after VIN break point 115217
2006 Chevrolet Corvette equipped with Navigation System (RPO U3U)

Installation takes one hour

Suggested Retail Price $640.00

Fichtner Chevrolet Christmas Special Price $499
(plus S/H, NO sales tax)

To place an order call our parts hotline toll free, 1-800-234-5284

Ken Fichtner, Dealer
Fichtner Chevrolet

Like I said before your telling me that it plays MP3's and the dude I ordered it from (Bob) told me it didn't, now maybe after you get the dealer upgrade it might........but like I said I'm just repeating what I was told....Man I sure hope your right and he's wrong!!!

caddy said:
I just ordered one from a Dealer up in Montana (I think) and he told me that the New Unit DOES NOT play MP3's I hope he's wrong and your right, but I'm just repeating to you what he told me, by the way does this update to the 05' C6 Nav system cost anything?

The 05 Nav System upgrade is free if the car is still under warrnaty.

The 6cd stacker form what I know it supports MP3's.

It remains to be seen until someone intalls one and tries it...

lovecars said:
WRONG...

The 05 C6's with NAV have a new update from the dealer that enables them to play MP3's.

And the 06's have that capabilty from the factory, also there is now a 6 stacker CD add on for NAVS that fits in the passenger side cubby hole that also plays MP3's

Just had the new update installed in my NAV and it DOES NOT play MP3s. CD-R was burnt as a data disc with MP3 files, but unit shows "no disc" with it inserted. I have the early NAV unit.

Minkster said:
Just had the new update installed in my NAV and it DOES NOT play MP3s. CD-R was burnt as a data disc with MP3 files, but unit shows "no disc" with it inserted. I have the early NAV unit.

if you have an early 2005 C6 then you will not be able to read MP3's, try it on your computer, if it works then you burned it using the wong File System, it must be ISO+Joliet

lovecars said:
if you have an early 2005 C6 then you will not be able to read MP3's, try it on your computer, if it works then you burned it using the wong File System, it must be ISO+Joliet

It plays with Windows Media player and Real Player on my computer. How do you determine or change the file system?

My car was built in 8/04, VIN 104251, is that too early?

I think it's a crock, it shouldn't matter what your VIN is you paid a lot of money for a really nice car and the fact of the matter is that were in the year 2006 and anything built within the last 3-5 years plays MP3's...PERIOD! so why the heck didn't GM (Chevy) use a little common sense and make a single CD player play MP3's, what kind of ITIOT are they using to design their products?????And that my friend is why they are in the process of being forced to lay off 35,000 people......STUPID ENGINEERING DESIGNERS!!!!

I think all Corvette owners with the Nav package should get together and file a class action law suit against them......just because their STUPID!!!

Minkster said:
It plays with Windows Media player and Real Player on my computer. How do you determine or change the file system?

My car was built in 8/04, VIN 104251, is that too early?

I don't know about the VIN... but....

Go to the program that you used to burn, then go to options, and most of the time in under advanced or data or data advanced, then see the File System that is being used...

Windows Media Player is famous for doing this.

Also, when you burn the Cd, burn it as a DATA disk.

The easiest way is to make an empty folder, then copy your mp3's to it and then burn that folder as a data disk

I just contacted GM and my local dealer and no one seems to know anything about this "UPDATE" for the Nav system on the C6 2005 Vette??
So could someone out there please tell me who I can contact to verify that an update really is there, I'm having a hell of a time?
thanks

Yeah, I'm not really clear on what is being said here. The old stupid nav system I have can be updated to accept MP3s? Or, I can buy the 6 disc changer thing and that plays MP3s?

MORE INFO ON UPDATE.... PART NUMBER INCLUDED BELOW... PRINT AND TAKE TO DEALER...

ASI Resolution - Poor and/or No Radio Reception, Intermittent Static on FM with Navigational Radio System (Update Radio Software) #05-08-44-014A - (Dec 9, 2005)
Poor and/or No Radio Reception, Intermittent Static on FM with Navigational Radio System (Update Radio Software)
2005 Chevrolet Corvette (Domestic and Export) with Navigation Radio

This bulletin is being revised to provide correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-44-014 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on the following conditions:

• Static is heard on stations with an otherwise strong signal, after the ignition is turned on.

• The radio is unable to stop at specific stations when using the "seek" function.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIO

Important: The software is updated using a CD, not through SPS programming. New software, P/N 15853651, can be obtained from GMSPO. Dealers should retain the service CD for future use.

The software update will do the following:

• Modify the signal interface with the ARS module to correct the reception condition.

• Add an on-screen message to remind the customer that a destination is required before a route can be planned.

• Add MP3 functionality.

The navigation/radio software, P/N 15853651, should be updated using the following procedure:

Important:

• This software can ONLY be used for updating the 2005 Corvette navigation radio, P/N 15263014. Do not use these CDs to update any other vehicle's navigation radio. The radio part number can be verified via the Tech 2®.

• Software CDs and a Tech 2® are required to complete this procedure.

• Use of latex gloves is recommended to avoid fingerprints on the products and/or discs.

• If the vehicle is turned "off" during updating, the "software updating" process may not work and a new navigation radio will be required.

Follow the steps below to complete the software update.

Turn the ignition "on" with the engine "off" by holding the ignition switch in "ACC" mode for at least 10 seconds.

Open the tilt screen (navigation screen) to gain access to the DVD drive.

Eject the navigation DVD from the DVD drive (bottom slot).
Important: It may be necessary to close the radio screen for Disc 1 - Navigation to begin operation. If the navigation software version in the navigation radio is the same or higher than v.1312, the software updating will not start.

Insert Disc 1- Navigation software version 1312 into the DVD slot.

"Preparing to Load System Software" is displayed on the screen along with a progress bar. It will take approximately 5 minutes for Disc 1 to load.
After Disc 1 - Navigation has completed the navigation system will automatically restart. Eject disc 1 from the DVD slot. Insert Disc 2 - Audio software version 01.0F into the DVD slot.
Important: Approximately 10-15 seconds after inserting the disc, the screen will go blank. It will appear that the radio has shut down and/or locked up. This is the mode the radio will go into when the software is updating. If the audio software version in the navigation radio is the same as v01.0F, the software updating will not start.

When Disc 2 is completed, the system will automatically restart. It will take approximately 5-10 minutes for the system to restart. Remove Disc 2 - Audio from the DVD drive.
Turn the vehicle off. Open and close the driver's door and wait for 60 seconds.
Turn the vehicle on and reinstall the customer's navigation DVD.
Press the "NAV" button on the navigation radio, then press the "Agree" soft key on the screen.
After the map screen is displayed, touch the map screen the confirm that the map can be scrolled.
Using the Tech 2®, clear any/all DTCs from the radio.
Part Information
Part Number
Description

Disc -- Navigation Data

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9707*
CD Update - Radio/Navigation Software
0.5 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

I LOVE YOU - YOU ARE AWESOME!!! ROCK-ON, 'LIL RED VET O'MINE.

I had to try on my C6. Burned a disc (data) used nero. No problem plays the CD well and I have an early 05 with Nav. Guess I just got lucky. :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom