Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MPG What Are You Getting In Your 81???

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
Just curious what you 81 owners are getting for fuel mileage...automatic trany, local stop/go and hwy cruising?
Reg or premium gas?

I get 17-18 on highway....don't know around town....

I recently tried regular for the first time since owning my 81. I bought it last July. In fact, I'm on my second tank of regular. I have not noticed any difference in performance. Car is running very good. No knock, nothing. Now for my '07 Z06, nothing but premium for that puppy!

BBerry

81 with 700R4 without lockup, normal 2.87? gears, regular gas as premium makes no difference with stock DCR.

Last year highway 19MPG but I think with lockup 21MPG will be possible.
Highway and local is about 17.4MPG without lockup.
If you also want to know what we pay for regular gass just let me know.. :eek:ohnoes

Greetings Peter

The L81 is designed to run on regular unleaded. That's all we have ever used in ours and have never had a ping or knock. We haven't had it out on the interstate for some time but upper teens sounds right. Actually haven't checked in many years.

Tom

Interesting! The 1981 was only rated at 15 MPG new. Mine gets between 10 and 12 MPG (totally original w/33,000 miles) on this stuff they market as gasoline. If you see 15, you're doing very well! I used to use Premium; now run Regular at these crazy prices with no difference in performance on the 8.2:1 compression ratio.

in my 82' I get 16 city and 27 hwy. The car is stock package except the custom tranny that was installed last year after total melt down and shelling case on the hwy when parking gear bolts come undone inside tranny at 75 mph.... Now I have a custom 5th gear in my automatic, great for long runs. 100 mile trip and fuel gauge barley moves off full!

10 very local w/a lot of stopping/starting...hwy little better then 15.
No doubt at hwy speeds the trany lock-up isn't working > rumor has it they die at some 50,000 miles.
I fully rebult my computer carb, runs/idles much better...but, when it's hot out it still has a 'ping' at times.

Three weeks ago, driving all day in the rain. Highway and towns got 21 mpg (still without lockup). :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom