Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mr. Gasket performance chip.

T

Tin butcher

That's what I found when I opened up the ECM in my '85. Does anyone have personal experiece with one of these chips?

Never heard of those before.

Any mods done to your car?

What temperature does the fan come on at?

I haven't found many references to the Mr. Gasket chips. Looking thru the old threads, 10-20-04 ecoman asked about a Stage 1 and Stage 2 chip. He got ZERO replies.

The only other modifications I found - descreened MAF, punched cat, and a set of turbo mufflers. The internals of the engine are unknown. It has been out before and now has a 1 piece rear main seal, which according to my information didn't come out until 86. The heads are cast iron. I haven't taken the time to pull the AC compressor off to get to the stamped I.D. numbers, so I have no idea of the origins of the block. The car seemed to run really rich, and had a history of failing emission tests. I replaced the Mr. Gasket chip with a Hypertech chip and it seems to run better. The fans come on at about the same temp. with both chips.

Wow, you could have some mods done internally and not know about it. Thing I would do is run it on a dyno and then have a custom burned chip if that is necessary.

In the stock chip, there is enough deviation for bolt on mods. You don't really need a chip until you start going inside of the motor.

L98's are notorious for too much back pressure from the manifolds all the way to the mufflers. You've got the mufflers taken care of.

The other weakness is the TPI intake. It was originally designed for the 305 motor. Instead of redoing the intake, they just stuck a 305 intake on a 350.

I don't want to get a custom chip yet, as I am making plans for a new engine. The new engine will require a custom chip. I am looking at the "prominator" so that I can do my own programming.

If you have access to a device programmer, you can read the bin from the Mr. Gasket chip, then compare it to a stock bin with something like Tunerpro. It'll do a byte-by-byte comparison and display the results.

Let me know if you have any Prominator questions...

Bill

Tin,

That is sweet. Are you thinking about a crate motor or having one built yourself or even building yourself?

Are you going to keep the TPI or go with something higher flowing?

geekinavette - as soon as this low tech guy can ask an intelligent question...

Edmond - I have been wrenching on my own cars for almost 30 years, so I will build it myself. Probably a 383, roller cam, and aftermarket heads. I love the look of the TPI so I will use big tube runners and intake. As for headers, I have thought about building a set of Tri-Y's. Some people feel the design is better in the mid-range than the four-into-one .... and didn't Hot Rod just put a set of Try-Y's on their project Solstice?

didn't Hot Rod just put a set of Try-Y's on their project Solstice?

Tin,

Show's will push anything, that's where their money comes from.

As far as headers go, the brand that get's some of the most positive reviews are the TPIS headers. They're not cheap but they are nice looking. Most say that fit and installation are quite easy. Since you've wrenched for 30 years, I don't see you having any problems with them. Can't say the same for me but then again, there was never a problem that a big or bigger hammer couldn't solve. :L:L:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom