Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MSD ignition need help

80vette_ca

Corvette
1980 L82
Hey guys i need some help. Its a 1980 L48, 350 block, new pistons, rods, Eldelbrock Perform RPM heads, Performer Intake, Holley 750 carb, comp cam, (cant remember model off top of my head) with an MSD Probillet distributor 85551, MSD 6A box and Blaster SS Coil.....I recently pulled the distributor to replace a gasket and since i reinstalled it i can't get her to fire up, as i mess around with advancing or retarting the timing it either backfires or it spits gas back out the carb. So i pulled it again, lined up the timing mark on the harmonic balancer which should be top dead center right? So then i put the distributor back in and the rotor is pretty much pointing at number 1 cylinder, put the cap on with number 1 plug wire right above the rotor pointing at number 1 cylinder. She still won't fire up, same as before, i've checked for spark and she's sparking. I don't know what i'm missing, any ideas would be great

Dizzy 180 degrees out?
Remember timing mark is at 0 both at 0 and 180!

Cheers

Richard

i completely forgot that. I will try that tomorrow and i hope it works, thanks man

When the index line on the balancer is aligned with "0" on the timing tab, it's either at #1 TDC or #6 TDC on the compression stroke; if both valves for #1 cylinder are closed (rockers parallel with each other), it's at #1 TDC; if not, it's at #6 TDC. :)

Well i got her fired up, just got to play with the timing to get her set just right, May try running a tank of VP racing C12, see how she responds to that...Thanks for the help guys

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom