Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MSD Suggestions....

Rascal

Unable to take picture, and even if I could it would not provide the info you are requesting for mounting. It is very slick, immediately behind the Alt. and you can not see the mount from the top. The person that did it is Rick L of Corvette Techniques, and I believe he is now with Corvettes of Houston (Service). He might be able to turn you on to the mount he used.

That's cool, thanks anyways! :)

I bought the MSD 6A today and mounted it in my 86, I havent wired it up,
getting a little cold so I'm holding off to tomorrow.

the instructions say to remove the 4 pin module from the distributor, no mention about removing the 7 pin, can anyone shed some light on this for me.
Thanks,
Tom

You've got me confused, although I'm not sure what the module's on the distributor are? Is it telling you to remove it completely, or is that where the MSD box is hooking into it? Did you get the MSD wiring harness too? Just to make sure I know exactly which it is, what distributor is on your car? Sorry I'm not more help right now, but I don't have experience on 86's and I can't think of ever having to remove a module in any install I've done in the past? MSD also does have a help number you can call too if myself or nobody here can get your questions answered.

Hello Tom,

The module is only removed if the distributor has a 4-pin module. I think only vacuum advance distributors have a 4-pin module. I'm pretty sure you have a 7-pin module, so it stays in the distributor.

See here:

http://www.msdignition.com/downld1.htm

and here:

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6 series/pdf14.pdf

Hope this helps,

Hilmar

Hilmar, you are correct, only the 4 pin module comes out.
but what I need is where #1 is on the distributor cap, the FSM doesnt have
a very good illust.
thanks,
Tom

Do you have the box wired otherwise?

Do you have the box wired otherwise?

Hey Vetteboy, I'm up and running! I just had the spark plug wires 1 position off.
thanks for all your help. I blocked off the AIR hose going to the exhaust manifold and my BLM's are down to 0% to 1% (128 -130) I think I'm ready for re-inspection!
On the other forum, there was opinion that the MSD was not going to do anything for me, that it will not improve the rich condition and virtually do nothing for a stock motor.

Tom

I would like to know how they base this opinion. I know our motors dont turn the revs but but better spark has to be better all around.

I would like to know how they base this opinion. I know our motors dont turn the revs but but better spark has to be better all around.

I agree, but I failed re-inspection, I dont get it, the good news is the CO went from 29 to 15.5 ! (15 is passing in NY) but the bad news is the both the
HC's & the NOx are failing, on the first inspection which I had the 29 in CO, both the HC & NOx passed.
the first inspection I had:
timing: 12 deg BTC
no MSD
connector to EGR broken off (not connected)
faulty AIR ?
BLM up around 138

This inspection:
Timing: 6 deg
MSD unit
new cap & rotor
blocked off AIR hose to exhaust manifold
connected EGR
BLM 129

See anything that stands out?
Thanks,
Tom

Why did you block the air hose to the exhaust manifold? The air works with heat to finish burning off unburned fuel. Might be a reason you failed. ;shrug

side note. on my 90 the air pump is also hooked to the main cat which aids it to work.

Glenn
:w

Why did you block the air hose to the exhaust manifold? The air works with heat to finish burning off unburned fuel. Might be a reason you failed. ;shrug

side note. on my 90 the air pump is also hooked to the main cat which aids it to work.

Glenn
Actually, the air makes the ECU think the car is running lean and makes the mixture rich, I could see the difference immediately during the scan, as soon as
it was blocked the LT BLMS's went to 128 (0%)!
and at closed loop no air is supposed to flow to either the cat or the manifold
Tom

I will be the first to admit I dont know much about this situation. Just wondering though what was the car to operating temps? I have heard this makes a difference.

at closed loop no air is supposed to flow to either the cat or the manifold
Tom

I am really slipping:duh forgot the full purpose of the air pump.Now lets see if I remember anything right. EGR is only active at high vacume and lowers combustion temps, and lowers NOx . Should you be looking for a reason that you might have an overrich mixture, like bad O2 sensor ? A leaking injector ?

Glenn

I am really slipping:duh forgot the full purpose of the air pump.Now lets see if I remember anything right. EGR is only active at high vacume and lowers combustion temps, and lowers NOx . Should you be looking for a reason that you might have an overrich mixture, like bad O2 sensor ? A leaking injector ?

Glenn

Over rich is because of excess air being pumped into the maifold, the O2 sensor thinks it is lean....
I did a leakdown test, which appears that the injectors are not leaking.
the o2 sensor may be marginal, I never see it go past .8 V.
I need to test the EGR.
I will pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom