Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Muffler Sound

FlagCraig

Corvette
2003 Anniversary Edition Coupe
Looking for a better sound without going to headers. Stock sounds okay but looking for a deeper and stronger sound.

Any suggestions on mufflers for a 1970 totally stock 350/300 manual shift. I know I won't be the big dog at the cruise-in but wouldn't mind sounding Fonzie cool.

Thanks.

On my 71 I have Flowmaster 50-Series Deltas. I like the sound...so much so that I have Flowmasters on three of my other cars.

I agree, I had 50 series Delta's on mine before I put the side pipes on. They sounded great using the stock manifolds.

On my 71 I have Flowmaster 50-Series Deltas. I like the sound...so much so that I have Flowmasters on three of my other cars.

Thanks for the advice. May I ask where you purchased them and about what cost? I plan on having my local muffler guy do the work.

I've had them on the car for amost 20 years. The place I bought them is no longer in business but you can buy Flowmaster mufflers from Summit Racing. That's where I'd go now.

I don't remember what the installation cost was but I had more done than just weld on mufflers. I had a whole system built from my headers back.

Cost for exhasut work will vary widely.

I bought mine from Summit Racing. I bought the Stainless Steel versions for around $100 each.

I will get them from there (free shipping). Quick question....because the stock mufflers are somewhat visible from the rear, when I go to the Flowmasters how do they look? Are you satisfied?

Thanks.

I was very happy with the sound of these mufflers. I had a pair on a 5.0 Mustang back in the day. These mufflers are now on my Father-in-Law's 1970 383 Charger and they sound great on that car as well.

I was very happy with the sound of these mufflers. I had a pair on a 5.0 Mustang back in the day. These mufflers are now on my Father-in-Law's 1970 383 Charger and they sound great on that car as well.

Very nice. Looks good and love the color of car.

I am rebuilding a 72 Challenger and will consider for this car too.

Thanks a bunch.

Nothing beats the sound of 1969 factory "side mount exhaust", RPO# N14. The larger Corvette vendors sell them (Eckler's; Corvette Central; Mid-America)...at least they used to.

On the corvette did you get the Flowmasters with 2 1/2" in and out or smaller? My exhaust tip connection looks like it's smaller.

Thanks.

I install off road dual outlet mufflers on my 1973 350 with who knows what replacement motor it had. Upgraded to 2.5 inch pipes and it sounded great. But the 350 I found out was a truck motor and just didn't run anything like I had expected.

This weekend we dropped in a 375 HP 350, headers and so I don't know if I will get away with the muffler here soon.

My 1994 LT1 is running straight pipes and is as quiet as my 1993 with 3.0 inch Flowmaster pipes and mufflers.

Karsten

Your car originally came with 2 inch pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers(LT-1's had 2 1/2). I think I bought 2 1/4 mufflers because I was going to replace the pipes when(if) I got headers. I ended up with side pipes instead.

H-Pipe Install

Your car originally came with 2 inch pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers(LT-1's had 2 1/2). I think I bought 2 1/4 mufflers because I was going to replace the pipes when(if) I got headers. I ended up with side pipes instead.

Flowmaster recommends an H-pipe for better performance with their mufflers which I just received. Getting ready to install. Is the H pipe necessary? If so, can the standard muffler shop put on an H-Pipe without breaking the bank.

Thanks.

If you want to go with a factory looking pipe. . .and muffler. . .I went with the OFF-ROAD exhaust from Allens Exhaust. . .and I love them. I had flow masters, and took them off because it made the cabin unbearable for a coupe. For a convertible. . .I would think they would have been fine. Below is a link to a video of my 1970 350/350 (with an LT-1 cam) at idle:

1970 LT1 Off Road Exhaust - YouTube

Don't underestimate how much the Cam shaft profile with affect the sound of our exhaust. Here is a video of my 1972 454 with the exact same exhaust on it. . .and it's noticeably different. (Note: this video has a the engine running with the miss fire. . .which I have since fixed. . .but you will be able to hear the difference:

1972 LS5 Off Road Exhaust - YouTube

Clearly the 1970 with the more aggressive cam sounds better.

That all said, I highly recommend the Allen's exhaust: Allen's Stainless Exhaust

-Jon

Love Allen's exhaust.
Have the side exhaust on my 1976.
Yes it's a 76 with an 82 rear clip.
FrankenVette.

2ebumugu.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Now you're talking..............

Allen is the way to go, it's hard to tell if they are exhaust people or people people but they do what they say and quickly, no middle men. Their product is one of the best I've ever run or heard. Their service is quick and painless, just plain good guys to deal with. :thumb:thumb they deserve more than one thumds up.......:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom