Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Muncie stuck in 3rd - HELP!

69_Dream

Here's the story. Enjoying my car for most of the day, then I'm at at a corner, go to get back from 3rd to 1st... nothing. I am stuck in 3rd. ...and believe me, I tried to move it :mad - so I had to drive it back 20 miles or so in 3rd gear. If I wanted an automatic, I would have bought one! ;)

In the car, the shifter itself feels like it's in neutral, but it's 3rd. The only gear that I can engage is reverse. If I try and give it some gas to go in reverse, I can't move... 3rd going against reverse I'm assuming?

So, Can anyone give me an easy fix? If not, can anyone suggest a more costly fix? I took a few pics of the tranny under the car, if anyone thinks this will help, let me know.

My car currently sitting on ramps in the driveway. I'm afraid to bring it in the garage and then not being able to back out. GRRRRR :mad

For an inexpensive test, I think I'd go under and make sure that all levers are in the neutral position. Next, remove the 3-4 and reverse shifter rods from the transmission (9/16" nuts), leaving the 1-2 rod only; then try to shift.

If that works, remove 1-2 and re-attach 3-4....try to shift.

Report back.

Maybe the shifter is binding.....hopefully nothing internal in the Muncie.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot as soon as I get from work tomorrow.

By the way, in case I haven't said it before, that is one *****in ride you got going on. Almost want to drive down to Toronto and check that out in person.

I'll report in tomorrow godwilling, hopefully it's just the shifter (I'm crossing my fingers).

Sly

More than likely it is just the shift linkage.. Slide under the car and grab one of the shift levers on the side of the transmission.. try to move it forward or backward. My guess is when you downshifted from 3rd to 1st, the linkage pin that fits between the 1-2 and 3-4 sides of the shifter did not engage... Permanent fix is rebuild the shifter with new bushings, adjust, and tighten everything back up. Really unlikely anything wrong internally.
Best luck.
Glenn

pvtpilot said:
More than likely it is just the shift linkage.. Slide under the car and grab one of the shift levers on the side of the transmission.. try to move it forward or backward. My guess is when you downshifted from 3rd to 1st, the linkage pin that fits between the 1-2 and 3-4 sides of the shifter did not engage... Permanent fix is rebuild the shifter with new bushings, adjust, and tighten everything back up. Really unlikely anything wrong internally.
Best luck.
Glenn
I agree 100%. The 4-speed Muncie in my 65 Impala occasionally did the same thing, except mine would get stuck in first gear instead of third. Only first gear would work, not even reverse or neutral. The fix was to engage the parking brake, put the shifter in the neutral position, crawl under the car, and orient the linkage levers into the correct position by hand. This sometimes takes some muscle if you are not grabbing the linkage levers just right. My transmission only did this when it was cold outside, as in below 50F. I know for a fact that my shifter bushings were shot. Yours probably are, too, especially if the shifter feels spongy. Some minor linkage adjustment inside the transmission case might also be necessary, which is an inexpensive job for an experienced mechanic.

pvtpilot said:
More than likely it is just the shift linkage...
Glenn
I also concur. Bought my '73 6 years ago. That was the 1st thing I learned about the slob that took care of it B4 me. The shifter was shot completely. Installed a Hurst 4spd. No more prob's.

check the bolt that holds the shift lever[3rd fourth] to the trans it could be loose shift out of 3rd then tighten it maybe use some locktite I've seen a few do this. good luck!

Update

Removing 3rd and reverse leaving only 1st and 2nd: Smooth as silk
Re-attached 3rd and 4th, nothing. Well, I could shift into reverse, but seeing as there was no rod connceting the the shifter to the tranny, does doesn't seem very impressive.

Went back under the car, trying to somehow move the 3-4 rod. Maybe 1/4 inch, nothing else.

Let's hear the diagnosis, I'm ready. :cry

Sly

Are all the levers on the tranny centered (up and down), meaning the transmission is in neutral?

If not, disconnect the offending rod from the lever (wire clip - don't lose the washer) and try to move the lever to neutral.

I would forget the shifter until you can determine if all the transmission levers can be moved when separated from the shifter.

I'm a bonehead. :duh

In the "Learn from my mistakes" files, when I had pulled the 1-2 rod I had engaged it so the car was already in gear when I tried to shift with the 3-4.

Made sure everything was in neutral, the 3-4 rod shifted back and forth, problem solved. Re-attached all of them, back in the car, all good.

I think I may need new bushings, maybe a slight adjustment to one rod... but at least it's back on the road.

Big thanks to Bob for walking me through a very easy process. With a wrnehc, I probably could have done this from the side of the road where I originally got stuck, probably in less than 20 minutes.

Again, you guys rock. :upthumbs :CAC :upthumbs

Sly

Not Uncommon

I as many others have had shifter, trans problems. Do yourself a favor, buy the rebuild kit for your shifter, bushings, clips. Take all three arms off at the shift plates on the trans. Make sure the trans is in neutral, just below the shifter mounts in the actual shifter plates INSIDE the shifter, there is a hole that when they are lined up right will allow you to insert a small tool usually supplied with the kit. If not, you can use an allen wrench. Slide the tool in making sure it's tight so there is no play, that makes sure your shifter is lined up. Now reconnect each shifter arm one at a time making sure they are lined up by turning the threaded side. Put the new bushing and clip on and you should be good to go for a long time.;)

I'm planning a major transmission freshening up some time next year. Included in my plans is complete teardown and rebuild of the tranny, rebuilding the shifter as you mention Rowdy, linkage kit clips and bolts, etc as I'm not looking forward to next time that happens.

Sly

Rebuild Linkage

pvtpilot said:
Best luck.
Glenn
I was wondering if you knew how difficult it would be to replace bushings etc and rebuild likage with tansmission still in car and the car oon Jacks?

Thanks

Donw

Got Small Fingers?

Rowdy1 said:
I as many others have had shifter, trans problems. Do yourself a favor, buy the rebuild kit for your shifter, bushings, clips. Take all three arms off at the shift plates on the trans. Make sure the trans is in neutral, just below the shifter mounts in the actual shifter plates INSIDE the shifter, there is a hole that when they are lined up right will allow you to insert a small tool usually supplied with the kit. If not, you can use an allen wrench. Slide the tool in making sure it's tight so there is no play, that makes sure your shifter is lined up. Now reconnect each shifter arm one at a time making sure they are lined up by turning the threaded side. Put the new bushing and clip on and you should be good to go for a long time.;)
IT's not that hard, just takes some patience, read above and don't be afraid to ask questions at the local speed shop. Make SURE the shifter is in neutral with the tool mentioned lined up, replace the bushings and clips one at a time turning the rods until they line up perfectly and you should have it UNLESS you have an internal problem. Not much is tighter than my 62 and I just did it with a new shifter and a new Richmond gear Super T10 trans that is "supposed" to bolt right up. Took a little time, an hour or so but all is like factory now;) :D and I had to make my own rods out of the old ones threading them to the desired length.

Rowdy1 said:
IT's not that hard, just takes some patience, read above and don't be afraid to ask questions at the local speed shop. Make SURE the shifter is in neutral with the tool mentioned lined up, replace the bushings and clips one at a time turning the rods until they line up perfectly and you should have it UNLESS you have an internal problem. Not much is tighter than my 62 and I just did it with a new shifter and a new Richmond gear Super T10 trans that is "supposed" to bolt right up. Took a little time, an hour or so but all is like factory now;) :D and I had to make my own rods out of the old ones threading them to the desired length.
Thanks, I will keep you posted. Appreciate your time.

I'm a big fan of the Hurst Competition Plus shifter.

Ordered linkage kit

Donw said:
Thanks, I will keep you posted. Appreciate your time.
I went ahead aand orderd the rebuild kit and the tool. I figured I will probably need it sooner then later. Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

If It's A Linkage Problem

Doesn't matter what gear, remove the linkage rod for whatever gear it's stuck in and try to move the shifter plate by hand where it's mounted at the trans. If it moves back to neutral easily and back in gear, it's "most" likely the linkage.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom