Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My 2 cents

jsup

Corvette
1990 Quasar Blue
And you're getting about 1/2 that value.

I have been reading this section and have come to the conclusion that there are some common threads throughout the section.

1. That kids aren't interested in the corvette
2. That the corvette isn't an every day car
3. that the average corvette owner is 50+
4. That the corvette competes with super cars.
5. The word ICONIC keeps being thrown around.

Well, here's my 2 cents...... all that is true, so what does it mean?

STOP ACTING LIKE A BUNCH OF BROKE OLD FARTS.

I mean seriously.... you think the designers at ferrari are worried about center console room? You think the guys at Porche are worried about cup holders? You think the people at Lamborghini sit around and worry bout where you put your sunglasses? How many people put golf clubs in a Veyron? Golf club storage? REALLY? THAT IS A PRIORITY?

Time to get real and tell GM what you want. Do you want a minivan that runs a 10 second quarter mile or do you want a true sports car? What the customer is demanding from GM is completely inconsistent with a sports car, so what do they have to do to get it right?

IMO, build a frikin sports car. Simple interior, nice fit and finish and be true to the heritage of the corvette. A sparce car that performs well and puts a smile on your face when you drive it, and no place for your 96 ounce bucket of slurpee and your Maui Jims... suck it up. Hell, Lamborghini charges $3000 for cup holders, you think a lot of their buyers get that option?

If they want to be taken seriously in that game, you have to build to that game and drop the min van features.

I used to lay in bed as a kid and dream of that C3 I'd own. How many kids are doing that today? Make the corvette desirable again. I'm sorry guys, I appreciate the C5s and C6s as the technical marvel they are, but they just don't stir the heart like C4s back.

Amen.

My '84 with the rock-hard Z-51 suspension is all that, and I love it. I'm 63, but I wanted a sports car and I damn sure got one. Crossfire? Spare me the pitiful stories because mine runs nice and strong and I'm keeping the car box stock.

They say a Corvette keeps you feeling young and I get my exercise climbing in and out of it. Suits me fine and feels like climbing into a fighter jet. Corners like a go-cart, too.

You're right. Performance or luxury ... make your choice.

I hate Slurpees and I buy cheap sun glasses I keep in my pocket.

I just bought a '12 we ordered with 1LZ. If there had been a 0LZ package, I'd have ordered that.

I'm on the lunatic fringe as far as powertrain and suspension.

That said, I own C3, 4, 5 and 6 and, as much as I appreciate the cars of the C3 and C4 era, performance-wise, in-spite of some of the "minivan" features, the newer cars are noticeably better.

I think that is why they have an options list...you can order one to fit your needs or desires. Maybe GM schould give us more choices on that list. Stripped down or full boat get what you want.

Perhaps my point was poorly made. The Corvette is right there, toe to toe, with all the worlds super cars, exotics, performance wise. Where it misses, and I love the Corvettes, but it is the Rodney Dangerfield of "super cars"...

I think some of that comes from all the things I listed above, and the fact that the Corvette isn't capturing the imagination the way it once did. You cant watch a movie in the 50s-60s without seeing a Corvette. Now, it's ferraris. You didn't see Ferris Bueler in a Corvette....

Here's the interior of a Ford GT.....what don't you see. Cup holders and a place for your sunglasses or golf clubs:

112_0606_sfbts_034z+2006_ford_gt40+strike_force_behind_the_scenes_interior.jpg

That is all business.

I fear the "minivanization" of the Corvette will be its demise. We need 12 year old kids dreaming of these cars, the way we used to. The performance is there....but its still gets no respect as the super car it is. Or the exotic super car it should be.

Attachments

• Ford_GT40_Interior_Dashboard_2005.jpg
    Ford_GT40_Interior_Dashboard_2005.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 92
Well, as I said earlier, I hate Slurpees but, I'll admit to putting my morning coffee in the cup holder of my 12 Z06.

The point about the Ford GT lacking cup holders is well-taken however, it also begs the question....

Why hasn't Ford taken the Ford GT to the Nurburgring as has GM with the ZR1 and the Z06? Could it be that cup holders and all, the two, aluminum-framed, Z-option C6es are hard to beat on a track like the 'ring?

Well, as I said earlier, I hate Slurpees but, I'll admit to putting my morning coffee in the cup holder of my 12 Z06.

The point about the Ford GT lacking cup holders is well-taken however, it also begs the question....

Why hasn't Ford taken the Ford GT to the Nurburgring as has GM with the ZR1 and the Z06? Could it be that cup holders and all, the aluminum-framed C6es are hard to beat on a track like the 'ring?

That is my point. The C6 will run circles around the GT, but when it comes to capturing the spirit, and people's imagination I think Chevy is missing it. As the customers of these cars, perhaps we shouldn't be asking for cup holders and more center console room, but more "business".... Corvette is a FANTASTIC car, but the GT will be the poster on some kids wall.....

I've owned an number of Vettes, I loved them all. From the rattling hot, ill fitting 72, to the 74, to the C4 I currently have. I've borrowed C6s for a few weeks here and there. Long enough to know I'm more comfortable in my C4, which will run with any C6 out there and put a big smile on my face any time.

if Chevy does not try and capture people's imagination from a young age, they are done. Hell I knew I wanted a C3 at the age of 7, we used to walk to the local chevy dealer and press our noses up against the glass just to get a glimpse of the new Corvettes. I don't see that happening anymore, and I think demands like cup holders (as a stereotype of course) are why. There's the Camaro for that.

I can tell you from recent experience that young to middle age people will flock around the Z06, ZR1 and the new 427 Convertible. Yes, they know BMW's upside and down but they are quite knowledeable about the 3 Corvettes I mentioned. They don't care about cup holders or golf clubs. They care about looks and power. Cost is also a factor. :w

I can tell you from recent experience that young to middle age people will flock around the Z06, ZR1 and the new 427 Convertible. Yes, they know BMW's upside and down but they are quite knowledeable about the 3 Corvettes I mentioned. They don't care about cup holders or golf clubs. They care about looks and power. Cost is also a factor. :w

That's good to hear. It really is an amazing car out of the showroom, I guess I'd like to see more Viper/GT than minivan.

I was simply responding to the common thread of some of the comments mentioned in this section about what people want to see in the new C7. What people want in the next generation Corvette. This car is all super car, all exotic. What is keeping it from meeting that status in the minds of the "average joe", IMO, is Chevy trying to bridge some kind of gap, make it a "hybrid" in the sense that it's not just a brutal show of force like the Viper, but also practical and unassuming, which, I think is a mistake.

Viper interior:

2013-SRT-Viper-2a.jpg

Means business..

Ferrari, even the luxury model:
Ferrari-Interior.jpg

Lamborghini: Screams drive me like a $20 whore....
Lamborghini-Murcielago-interior.jpg

SLS AMG

mercedes-sls-amg-interior.jpg

Covette:
2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-interior-553x414.jpg

Malibu Steering wheel and that "pick me up from soccer nice place to put my geritol" arm rest/console.

The Corvette is there in every aspect except the final touches. I just think as a community I'd like to see requests be for more exotic finish that it clearly deserves. For the money they get for these cars, they can do it right, if "we" demand it. Like I said, just responding to how I perceive what I read in this section.

They were there once:

corp_0808_03_z+1967_corvette_sting_ray+interior.jpg

Again, this is just my 2 cents.

When Corvette guys at Chevy do their polls of Corvette owners or have folks keep track of these forums they want to know what we like and don't like.....People must want power and handling and looks, but they must also want comfort and room for the clubs or to go cross country on a grand tour. Chevy listens to what the people want and that's what they have given us....I think they did their homework and got it about right and am looking forward to seeing what improvements they come up with next. They have listened about the seats and the interior and I am hoping we will be impressed with what they come up with. IMO there is no better performance car out there for the money.

There's a common thread here.

We love our 'Vettes in every flavor they come in (except for the Corvette Summer car ... LOL!).

Yes, newer Corvettes are absolutely awesome and the new technology is more than keeping pace with the times. Each generation could say the same in their day when they were shiny and new. The C7 will bear little resemblance to C1, but I'm certain it will be a two-door, two seat world beater that dazzles the eyeballs and outperforms cars ten times its price.

What this discussion has really broken down to is personal preference, cutting-edge technology and market pressures. All of them come in various degrees of predictability.

For me, it's all about fun and styling.

When Corvette guys at Chevy do their polls of Corvette owners or have folks keep track of these forums they want to know what we like and don't like.....People must want power and handling and looks, but they must also want comfort and room for the clubs or to go cross country on a grand tour. Chevy listens to what the people want and that's what they have given us....I think they did their homework and got it about right and am looking forward to seeing what improvements they come up with next. They have listened about the seats and the interior and I am hoping we will be impressed with what they come up with. IMO there is no better performance car out there for the money.

I agree..... I had a recent conversation with someone who was talking about "supercars"....ya know the exotics. I mentioned the ZR1 as being right there with them. They all laughed.

Sure you can put the specs down point for point, but at the end of the day, people don't perceive it for what it could be or should be.

I don't think they "got it right" I think they are missing the mark. When the Corvette is compared to a Pony car, the mustang, something is definitely wrong. I can go down the stereotypes, but the last ZR1 I saw, yesterday, had a 60 something year old guy in the drivers seat, and a 30 something woman in the passenger seat. Not quite sure that's going to inspire anyone..... but hey, is what it is... Point is if they are listening to balding sixty somethings who need a place to stash blue pills in the armrest, I don't see that as inspiring... but hey, that's me. I have a C4 and I don't have gold chains, a mullet, or bathe in cheap cologne. . So each stereotype has its exceptions.

I agree dollar for dollar, it's the best car on the market.

We love our 'Vettes in every flavor they come in (except for the Corvette Summer car ... LOL!).

Yes, newer Corvettes are absolutely awesome and the new technology is more than keeping pace with the times. Each generation could say the same in their day when they were shiny and new. The C7 will bear little resemblance to C1, but I'm certain it will be a two-door, two seat world beater that dazzles the eyeballs and outperforms cars ten times its price.

What this discussion has really broken down to is personal preference, cutting-edge technology and market pressures. All of them come in various degrees of predictability.

For me, it's all about fun and styling.

Well said. And part of the fun for me is having a C5/6 look down their nose at me and showing them taillights...:D That's my idea of fun..

Just a thought....

Are young people really all that concerned about performance cars anymore? Most kids I see are driving ricers with the coffee can mufflers and erector set wings. It isn't like it was when I was a teenager in the 70s where Camaros, Firebirds and their variants (I had a Trans Am) were within affordable reach and we could work on them ourselves dreaming of the day we had a Corvette. And even then, used Corvettes were affordable and since the 350 was their basis, we could work on them ourselves significantly reducing the cost of owning one. I'm thinking that cars like the Corvette are so far out of their reach now pricewise and from a cost of ownership standpoint that the kids don't give it a second thought.

I was reading an article recently about the Gen-Y folks and driving. These "kids" are connected to the world electronically and many don't see much need to even get a driver's license. They are also kids that are judged by the their peers by whether they have the latest electronic gadget on their belt or in their purse. It they really wanted a car, truck, mini-van; it would have to be the latest thing on the market or their peers would look sadly at them.

So, they don't want a beater as a first car and they can't afford a Corvette. If they can get rides from their friends or parents, why bother getting a car or even a driver's license.

If thier parents are into performance cars, that may rub off on them. Otherwise, they probably don't have a clue what they are missing and don't care. If they can't afford a new Camry or Cruze, they surely can't afford a new Corvette and they would rather bum a ride or just stay on their iPhone or Android or iPad or Tablet then be seen driving a 15 year old Honda.

Figure out how to get the Gen-Y kids interested in cars and figure out how to get them out of the mind set that they have to have the latest, greatest "thing" - then you might see younger folks pining for older Vettes that they can afford.

That's my 2 cents.

I agree, and want to add...

I agree with you, I think relevance is what is lacking. The current C6 base car is too expensive for many buyers, and I think that could easily be remedied with a more entry level model. Here are a few of my comments that I've made on another site;

I like what I've seen so far from the automotive sites. One thing I would welcome, would be an entry level model, say around 300 to 350 HP, and less "luxury" equipment. Just a nice lightly optioned drivers car. Somehow the Corvette experience has become, IMHO, overly focused on being super fast. There is a place, and a model for that, but I for one would like a less powerful car that someone with my level of driving skill could thoroughly enjoy every day.

And yes, I do already own a Vette, and no, I don't really need 400+ HP to enjoy it.

and as follow up to someone who thought a 300hp model would dilute the name.

It's short term memory I think,... go back to the 60's and 70's - there were many engine options for the Vette, from mild to wild. That's really what I'm suggesting. In this current HP war, we've all become very accustomed to 400+ HP cars. In truth no mortal driver can really even handle that much power on anything more than a electronically controlled launch. A 300 HP car of this size and weight would be a very quick and entertaining drive, easily going under 5 seconds to 60, and topping out at 160mph+ - not fast enough???? Really? I for one would be very happy with it. I think there is way too much of the "I have the bigger stick" mentality. As another plus, I'll bet it could easily get 30+ mpg - smart all the way around.

It appears that GM has done a fair to good job of keeping current buyers in the fold, and an awful job of getting new buyers. Harlan Charles isn't going to learn about Gen X or Y by hanging out at Carlisle or Corvette Corrals at ALMS races. Harlan and the rest of them need to go where the next generation of buyers hang out to get out the word, and LEARN SOMETHING NEW. If Corvette had a presence at drag races, x-games, SCCA solo nationals, drifting events and general sporting events, they would actually be exposed to new buyers. GM's marketing effort seems arrogant and a little lazy in that respect. Slapping decals on last year's model is not a legitimate marketing strategy to attract new buyers, and selling C7s to C6 owners won't ensure the survival of the brand...IMHO.

jsup - your point is well made. Buyers should have the choice to go full boat on toys and power, or perhaps something less equipped and less powerful would fit nicely, and be affordable.

What we're saying is...

Why hasn't Ford taken the Ford GT to the Nurburgring as has GM with the ZR1 and the Z06? Could it be that cup holders and all, the two, aluminum-framed, Z-option C6es are hard to beat on a track like the 'ring?

I think you clearly overlook that point that not all of us want, or can afford a 2012 Z06 - great car for sure. The fact you have that option is awesome, but really, a 80k+ car isn't for everyone. If Chevy is going to keep the Corvette relevant to a younger audience, it needs to be many things. Not just crazy a$$ fast and very expensive... that alone no longer is enough to stimulate or captivate an audience, not with hordes of insanely fast cars already available Camaro, Mustang, Porsche, on and on. Fast is no longer enough.

BTW - if cost is no object, the Z06 would be my model of choice to.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom