Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My brother's new 1965 vert --- Neelfryer pulled the trigger

neelfryer

Folks
After wearing you all out by badgering you for opinions and expert analysis I have bought and brought home the 1965 365hp vert with the extra stamp on the pad....

Now after all the discussion that went on here on the forum -- I only ask that you love her as if she was your own -- she has been described by some as a potentially "red-headed step child" -- but I promise you she is gorgeous...

The deciding factor? I went back a third time and found the date cast number off the passenger side of the block and it was B265 -- it was now apparent that this was the original block that came with the car

But really folks -- I drove the car -- which I had not done to this point -- WOW!!!! I hope I can load these pix on my message -- I may have to e-mail them to Barry K again so he can resize them and post them for me

My 68 428 shelby is lurking in my garage in the background of one of the photos -- and I only mention it so I can say with all honesty -- this little rocket is SUCH A FUNNER DRIVE THAN MY COBRA!!!!!

No disrespect to Carroll Shelby but guys -- that little vette is awesome -- I will now badger you with questions about where do I buy the replacement white soft top I need to replace that awful hertz top and where do I get the correct wheels -- I have the correct wheel covers just need the wheels

Thanks all of you for your help -- It will be hard for me to give this to my brother for his 40th -- but I have 2 months to drive it (I have to keep it hidden from him which won't be easy....thanks guys -- more later -- sean

here are your pics Sean

hope he likes the car! :beer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good for you ! I hope you took comfort from all of the information and feedback that was posted; all you really wanted to do in the end was make an informed purchasing decision, which you certainly seemed to have done.

And the car does look sweet, of course I am a softie for 65 L76 Verts :cool

I have no brothers, but I could sure use one like you :upthumbs

Can the experts weigh in on this question?

Which would have more value in a NCRS retored car?

1. The original engine, with orginal stamp, + the extra speed shop stamp

2. The original engine, with the block decked to remove the stamps, and restamped

#2 if done correctly, has to appear as it left the factory, with the extra Vin, the first would take a hit.

Beautiful car.

If you're in the market for any more brothers - I'm available (and my birthday is coming up).

Thom

Where did the top come from? My 65 looks a lot like this but I've got the beige top. I want one like this. Please advise. Bill

JL66REDCPE said:
Is your shelby in the Registry ???

yes -- the shelby is in the registry -- in january of 1982 -- the owner at the time a steve mason was lsited -- it's 03223 -- I contacted the 68 registry administrator and he was happy to hear form the car -- they hadn't heard from it in a long time

it was way back a NY car but found it's way to nevada and california in the late 70's -- the motor has never been out of the car -- the only modification is that it should be highland green

someone painted it alcapulco blue at one point and then about 10-15 years ago someone put the candy apple red paint on it -- everything else is as she she left the showroom

i an sending her away for a frame off -- it will take a year -- so i'm holding on as long as i can before sending her away -- it's a fun car -- but like I said above -- that little vette is a tiger -- great ride -- i just got back from riding around -- sean

brumbach said:
Where did the top come from? My 65 looks a lot like this but I've got the beige top. I want one like this. Please advise. Bill

it's called a "hertz" top -- which is some kind of mercedes canvas or rolls canvas -- that's what i've heard -- the man i bought the car from had it done by a man in camarillo ca (which is about half way between la and santa barbara -- I don't know much else about it -- but if i do remove the top and replace it with white -- i could send you the piece -- it's brand new -- sean

What a beautiful roadster. I especially love the wheels, they really make a period statement.

I know your brother will love it:D

If you're going to throw that hertz rag top away, then throw it my way. I'm interested. Thanks -- Bill
neelfryer said:
Folks
After wearing you all out by badgering you for opinions and expert analysis I have bought and brought home the 1965 365hp vert with the extra stamp on the pad....

Now after all the discussion that went on here on the forum -- I only ask that you love her as if she was your own -- she has been described by some as a potentially "red-headed step child" -- but I promise you she is gorgeous...

The deciding factor? I went back a third time and found the date cast number off the passenger side of the block and it was B265 -- it was now apparent that this was the original block that came with the car

But really folks -- I drove the car -- which I had not done to this point -- WOW!!!! I hope I can load these pix on my message -- I may have to e-mail them to Barry K again so he can resize them and post them for me

My 68 428 shelby is lurking in my garage in the background of one of the photos -- and I only mention it so I can say with all honesty -- this little rocket is SUCH A FUNNER DRIVE THAN MY COBRA!!!!!

No disrespect to Carroll Shelby but guys -- that little vette is awesome -- I will now badger you with questions about where do I buy the replacement white soft top I need to replace that awful hertz top and where do I get the correct wheels -- I have the correct wheel covers just need the wheels

Thanks all of you for your help -- It will be hard for me to give this to my brother for his 40th -- but I have 2 months to drive it (I have to keep it hidden from him which won't be easy....thanks guys -- more later -- sean

Well best of luck with it. Looks great.

You know the right thing to do is to get about 500 or so miles on it to shake the bugs out.

That will be some suprize for your brother,

As for the shelby. One of my dream cars has always been a 69/70 428 auqa convert with a white interiour.

Good luck with your shelby restoration.

neelfryer said:
Folks

Sean,
Beautiful car!! Great choice.
That Hertz top should be a standard with vettes. It looks very classy.
As someone else said, if you want to adopt any more brothers, let me know!

Enjoy!

Pedro

Pretty car! The top is "Haartz" cloth material; we use it on the Viper (and used it on the Prowler too). :)

Congrats on the purchase. It was a good choice.

I love the Shelby.?I have one as well. It is a 1968 GT 350 Red rag top that was sent overseas from the factory. It has lived a tough life but I managed to save it. I have had it for years, but will be restoring it in the near future, once I get my Vette fever under control.

oWEN

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom