Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My BTO 700R4 is DEAD Dead! (Update)

Andre,

Have you ever considered replacing your tranny with a manual --- Muncie M-20, 21, or 22...?

Just a thought...

Ralph

Have you ever considered replacing your tranny with a manual --- Muncie M-20, 21, or 22...?
Yeah, I have. I'd love to have a manual, but I can't afford the labor. But if I was going to go manual, I'd go to a 5 or 6-speed trans.

If you have to go with a different transmission, check with www.tciauto.com.
They have a great reputation.

Any news, I have been following your thread.

If you have to go with a different transmission, check with www.tciauto.com.
They have a great reputation.

Any news, I have been following your thread.
Thanks Billy. BTO has/had(?) a great reputation too. As for any news, there isn't going to be any news for a while. At least not for a couple months.

Maaaaybe when I get my year-end bonus here at work I migth do it. But I really need to get other bills paid off first. The vette is done for the winter, so there's really no rush on my part. It's not coming out again until sometime in the spring. So it'll lilkely sit there for awhile ("months") until I have the funds to have my mechanic come over and drop the transmission, tear it apart, rebuild it, and put it back up. Not exactly an easy job getting the car up high enough with regular ol' jack stands and also having the room to work in my garage which is already housing my other toys and whatnot...

Bummer

I just caught this now, sorry to hear it Bro. If I could mail you a check, you'd have it. Keep us posted.

So here's a quick little update on the transmission. I'll give a more detailed update when I get back in the States.

It's back up in the car and running as it should be. Line pressres checked out better this time than the initial installation. (Reverse was the only questionable line pressure during the initial install two years ago. Never did determine the cause. Possibly a goofy trans from BTO. Don't know and probably never will.)

The front pump failed likely due to initial manufacturing fault, which is what I initially suspected. It broke where the vanes slide in/out. I have pictures that I can post when I get home. This is the weakest point on these transmissions / front pumps. I am 100% positive it wasn't an installation issue that caused the failure even though every shop/mechanic/whoever will say it was. Even my mechanic said that, but we know it was 100% correct during our install.
The runout on both th flexplate and tq converter was within .020 all the way around, which is well within the tolerances allowed. Thus, it had to be a mfg issue. Those things happen. ;shrug

The rest of the transmission appeared not to sustain any other damage. So the casing and everything was reused. The entire trans was flushed and I put another magnetic filter in-line just in case. I also replaced the rear seal since it could possibly have been scratched by the tail shaft when it was pushed up in to the trans while being emptied.

wishyouwerehere82, the 13 vane pump is not recommended for my year transmission (the model used up through 1992, I believe). Additionally, increasing the vanes is only going to introduce more points of failure.

I guess it's snowing back home in Ohio, so I won't be having the car out quite yet. However, before I left, the day I got the trans reinstalled everything seemed to check out good.
Oh yeah, I also replaced the Tq convertor because the original one from BTO appeared to sustain a little damage as well and my mechanic wasn't about to put a questionable tq converter back on the car. I ended up going with a B&M Holeshot with a 2400 or 3000 rpm stall. I can't fully recall right now. Either way, it seems to give a little more oomph off the line when I release the brakes. But again, I really didn't have the chance to hammer on it since 1) I didn't have the time before leaving and 2) the car isn't back to being insured for driving yet.

So that's the quick & dirty. I'll post up the pictures later this month when I get home and try to remember anything else that we did.

Cheers from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

Nice!!!

Sounds like you have it under control. Argentina huh?

"Don't cry for me, LouTarascio..." :L
I'm pretty sure I found your brother here, Lou. He's a gaucho ("cowboy"). I took some pics. I didn't know you had family out here! Besides looking like you, it seemed that all the ladies wanted a ride with him. I said, "Yep, that's Lou!"
:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom