Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My C5 steers heavy.

mtdoragary

Corvette
2000 ragtop
I haven't compared it to other C-5's, but compared to all of my previous vehicles, including my Dodge Cummins 3500 4WD, the 2000 C5 requires more steering effort. The last car I had with thhis much steering effort was a 47 Chevy without power steering. Is this normal? I know the power steering is working because I can turn the wheels while sitting still. So far, both my wife and I enjoy driving our Audi A3 more than the Vette!

Sell the Vette, drive the A3 and the Dodge Ram. You're getting too be too much of a sissy for Corvettes.
:L

Just kidding...

C5 has fairly high steering effort, as any high-performance sports car should have, and it will probably be higher than that of your truck and maybe even that of your Audi.

First, I'd have the steering system checked out to make sure there are no problems with it.

Have the front end alignment checked and maybe even reset with a little less caster.

Make sure the tire pressure is on the high end of the acceptable range.

How about first I test drive another C5? I've had a lot of high performance cars and a couple of other Vettes. None steered heavy. My 70 454 4 speed convertible didn't steer heavy. It was much more fun to drive than the C5. Not even my 914-6 or my Sunbeam Tiger steered heavy, and neither had power steering. High performance cars should have good road feel (feedback), not heavy steering (too much steering effort)..

Sell the Vette, drive the A3 and the Dodge Ram. You're getting too be too much of a sissy for Corvettes.
:L

Just kidding...

C5 has fairly high steering effort, as any high-performance sports car should have, and it will probably be higher than that of your truck and maybe even that of your Audi.

First, I'd have the steering system checked out to make sure there are no problems with it.

Have the front end alignment checked and maybe even reset with a little less caster.

Make sure the tire pressure is on the high end of the acceptable range.

I would tend to agree with Hib. The steering on my 01 has a "firm" feel, maybe "heavier" than one might expect, but not unreasonably heavy. Driving another C5 would be a good comparison, if it is different, then you should have the steering checked out for a problem.

OH, and welcome aboard to CAC.

I would tend to agree with Hib. The steering on my 01 has a "firm" feel, maybe "heavier" than one might expect, but not unreasonably heavy. Driving another C5 would be a good comparison, if it is different, then you should have the steering checked out for a problem.

OH, and welcome aboard to CAC.

Thanks; and thanks for the tip - that's my plan. Substitution is the best form of troubleshooting! I'll start by substituting the whole car.

Just looked at your profile.
here's mine:
Army Security Agency 62-65
NSA 65-65
Infantry OCS 72
USAREC 74-75
I picked up my first driving trophy in 1960. I was C Production autocroass state champion ASCC in 1975, my only year of autocrossing. I've been building cars, boats, choppers since 1956. My Vette is a great cruiser, but it's nowhere near the fastest or best-handling car I've owned. But it does rank in the upper half.

Mine handles fine, no "heaviness". I suggest you check your tire pressures and as Hib recommends, make sure they are where they are supposed to be. I don't think I have ever heard that comment about the C5 before, but then again I have a limited realm of interaction.

I agree on the tire pressures.I generally run F=31 and R=30.It varies from tire to tire.A tire with a softer sidewall can feel mushy and require a little more ap.

Check & change your power steering fluid and make sure the hoses are in good shape.

Just a few suggestions.
\db2
carolina

I haven't compared it to other C-5's, but compared to all of my previous vehicles, including my Dodge Cummins 3500 4WD, the 2000 C5 requires more steering effort. The last car I had with thhis much steering effort was a 47 Chevy without power steering. Is this normal? I know the power steering is working because I can turn the wheels while sitting still. So far, both my wife and I enjoy driving our Audi A3 more than the Vette!

Check for any codes in your DIC display, and make sure that the power steering level is full. The power steering effort is electronically controlled and is variable depending on driving conditions. It should not have the same effort as a manual steering 47 Chevy, but it could have more effort than the Dodge Cummings 3500. :)

All good suggestions. Too bad I can't alter the steering effort with a VAG-COM like I can on my A3! But then, this IS an eleven year old car...

Checked tire pressures and fluids. ALL WERE ok. We drove around a lot today and I'm suspecting my problem is alignment. I noticed it tracking grooves and pavement irregularities. I had a great alignment shop in south Florida, but I don't know who's good with Vettes up here above Orlando yet. Probably good shops in daytona though. My tire man says I have a good eight to ten thousand miles left on the Michellins, so I'm not in a hurry for tires yet. However,they do NOT show any indications of misalignment. But I DID buy it off of a used car lot, so it's anybody's guess what they or test drivers did to it!

You know, you just mentioned you have Michelins at the end of their tread life. I recall when I had a set of high performance Michelins that were getting long in the tooth and they started behaving the same way...may be nothing to it, but then again who knows?

You know, you just mentioned you have Michelins at the end of their tread life. I recall when I had a set of high performance Michelins that were getting long in the tooth and they started behaving the same way...may be nothing to it, but then again who knows?

I had my tire guy who's been doing this for fifty years, look at them and he said tread was good enough not cause any problems - about ten thousand miles left, but I'm not ruling that out! No dry rot, so I'm not replacing them yet, but I'm keeping my eyes out for a 4 for three sale! Meantime, I'm suspecting it may have been set up for autocross and have a bit of toe-out. I'll check that next.

my Dodge Cummins 3500 4WD, the 2000 C5 requires more steering effort.
The last car I had with thhis much steering effort was a 47 Chevy
I enjoy driving our Audi A3 more than the Vette!
I've had a lot of high performance cars and a couple of other Vettes
My 70 454 4 speed convertible didn't steer heavy.
Not even my 914-6 or my Sunbeam Tiger steered heavy

What, no mention of the lawn mower?

my Dodge Cummins 3500 4WD, the 2000 C5 requires more steering effort.
The last car I had with thhis much steering effort was a 47 Chevy
I enjoy driving our Audi A3 more than the Vette!
I've had a lot of high performance cars and a couple of other Vettes
My 70 454 4 speed convertible didn't steer heavy.
Not even my 914-6 or my Sunbeam Tiger steered heavy

What, no mention of the lawn mower?

Kubota diesel zero-turn. Steers effortlessly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom