Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

my first attempt at buying a 2002

Gaming Glen

Corvette
1996 Grand Sport convertible, 2003 red coupe
I decided buying an electron blue coupe with manual transmission. The nearest dealer had one last week but the salesman said it was sold yesterday. He did a search and found two others he can have delivered, the print out said one was $45G+ and the other at $47G+ with a lot more options. *cough* I had looked at the stickers of the others in stock last week, none were over $43G. So, my guess he inflated the prices by $3G. I didn't want the dual roofs, he said they'll buy back the clear panel for $900. He mentioned the price of the 12-cd remote changer at $800, I said one can buy one a lot cheaper (I didn't know that, but I do know dealers overcharge for stereo equipment; later I did a search online and found remote cd changers for $200), he said you cannot get one that plugs into a Delco radio. I gave him the look that said "you're full of crap" but I didn't say anything.

So I mulled it over, remembering that a dealer in Atlanta emailed me an offer of $4G off any in stock so I figured a local dealer might do the same, and offered my '98 green coupe + $20G for the $47G. Yes, a low offer but the highest I was going to go (Kelly's Blue Book price said mine was $20G to a dealer, $24G resale). The $20G was more than I was going to originally offer but that was for a 'vette without the full package. So he did the paperwork and came back with the $20G offer on mine but did not make any reduction in price except for the GM rebate. Not even a counter.

I walked. :nono

So, I'm going to call a few other local dealers but I'm keeping that Atlanta dealer in mind. (you listening? pay my airfare if I come pick it up? :) hmmm, Florida has this out-of-state new-car tax/license-fee now)

Oh yeah, the salesman said I should be wary of "those" dealers. Yeah, I'm thinking, they take away your business because you're scum. :puke

I suppose he's used to Corvette buyers to just come in and plop down the money without question, with our overabundance of lawyers, doctors, and drug dealers (did he really just say that? ;)). And today is Wed, the day doctors are off work and maybe car shopping if not on the golf course. :D
Btw, I'm neither of those.

Glen

P.S. What are good radios and cd changers for a 'vette? (email me).

;stupid

I just called another dealer and she gave me the same prices on those two, the only two EB coupes in FL. my bad. :hb

and no discounts as 'vettes will sell out.

*sigh* Now I'll have to sleep on it if I want to spend the money.

(looks at smilie page)
What? No foot-in-mouth smilie? :D

Glen

check kerbeck corvette www.kerbeck.com, and Reedman chevrolet... www. reedman.com The last new vette purchase in my family was so much cheaper at Reedman (and this was comparing a car special ordered from Reedman to one sitting on our local dealer's lot already) had the owner of the dealership telling us he can't buy cars that cheap (even adding in shipping from PA to FL in a covered car carrier)... he further told us to buy the car up there, and he would gladly take care of the service... the real benefit is Reedman doesn't mess with pricing.. they give you a price, if you don't like it leave, if you do (which you probably will), buy the car.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks to replace my 94. Pretty much the same song you are getting. The only 02's in Ft. Myers are red and yellow. I am thinking about buying out of state or looking at 01's

Glen, what new FL tax are you talking about? I haven't heard about anything like this since they abolished the impact fee.

Gorgon said:
Glen, what new FL tax are you talking about? I haven't heard about anything like this since they abolished the impact fee.

That's what I was referring to. After thinking about it I recalled that a Florida judge had ruled it unconstitutional?

Now that I've slept on it, I still cannot decide. :s
Maybe I will go for the 0% financing for 3 years, then pay it off then (and make a whopping 2% with the rest sitting in the bank? or put it in a REIT and not worry about the crazy stock market). I don't even know if I can get the financing since I do not have a job (and don't need one unless some not-rich woman comes into my life).

Or maybe I'll relook at red, after all, I have the GS.

Glen

That's what I thought you were talking about. Even if they still collected the impact fee it would not affect you by purchasing a car out of state. When you purchase the car out of state you register and pay sales tax in the state of FL. As long as the tax was larger than the impact fee amount you didn't pay the extra fee. If it was less than the impact fee then the tax amount was deducted from the impact fee and you had to pay the balance of this fee. I think the sales tax on an 02 vette would probably cover the $300 fee. ;)

Either way it isn't collected anymore.

Leon :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom