Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My First Twin Turbo Tune Up :)

boostedmaxPSI

Corvette
'92 SNAT435 Yellow aerobody 'vert // 1988 #57 B2K
Well that took just about all day. I changed out the plugs, fresh Mobile 1, replaced some throttle body coolant hoses, fixed my headlight, thanks to that article in C. Enthusiast mag!

The plugs were a bear to get to, but I managed :)

boostedmaxPSI said:
Well that took just about all day. I changed out the plugs, fresh Mobile 1, replaced some throttle body coolant hoses, fixed my headlight, thanks to that article in C. Enthusiast mag!

The plugs were a bear to get to, but I managed :)

Plugs were a pain I am sure ;)

The Editor of Corvette Enthusiast Magazine said today when he heard of you post, "very cool, that's why we do it!" - he said there have been many favorable responses to that story :cool

He was out at the VOTR show and saw your post :m

I should have taken a picture of my headlight on my workbench with the Corvette Enthusiast magazine opened to the article while I was following it step by step :)

I had no idea what was the problem until I read that article.

It truely did help.

After tracking down all the vacuum lines that were disconnected and blocked off for the charcoal canister and EGR valve, fixing the MAS meter and installing two catalytic converters with no mufflers...

The Callaway passed emissions with flying colors :)

boostedmaxPSI said:
After tracking down all the vacuum lines that were disconnected and blocked off for the charcoal canister and EGR valve, fixing the MAS meter and installing two catalytic converters with no mufflers...

The Callaway passed emissions with flying colors :)

good deal! :upthumbs

Now go to the northside and run w/ the Canadians on the thrack ;) :lou

boostedmaxPSI said:
installing two catalytic converters with no mufflers...
:)

Mufflers? What are they? Now Megaphones........................They are sweet especially when mated to long tube headers!

FX GS said:
Mufflers? What are they? Now Megaphones........................They are sweet especially when mated to long tube headers!

Someone is paying atttention in class :)

No mufflers means room for megaphones :) I just need to get things right with the car first and that will be the first purchase from Callaway for this B2K.

The car is not loud at all without muffs, <- I had to work that in here.

If I'm not mistaken the '87 MY didn't come with mufflers at all from Callaway then in '88 they used the Z51 mufflers.

87 megaphones---88 and up mufflers. 87 had 3 converters. 88 callaway used the ft. two converters and a test pipe in place of the normal large converter.

Hand written on the order sheet! It was my understanding they discontinued after the last 88. I'm so glad I had an extremely thoughtful original owner!

Hi everyone, I have megaphones with a custom exhaust on my 89-56 as well. done at callaway back in 1990. I had to wait forever for the megaphones. Kruzmisl is right, megaphones were stopped after 1988. They did not meet noise,pollution laws in alot of countries. Very difficult to get megapohones even in 1988 towards the end. As far as I remember back in 1989 only very few 89 TT cars had megaphones and offroad exhaust...one car in california that I remember definitely and I think a car in texas and then my car. I was 19 at the time and when I drove a TT car before mine was ready I instantly ordered the exhaust and megaphones because I thought the car was way to quiet. Tobe Batte showed me an 88 TT modified car with the megaphones and exhaust and it was music to my ears. The car is very loud though, actually to loud for music or conversation...LOL. Just the way I like it.

The new Megaphone exhaust is a true dual 2.75 inch and heavier stainless with the megaphone they eliminated the center supports in the megaphone.

I highly recommend the 2.75" exhaust with the new Megaphones.....

Oh so sweet!....

img_0562.jpg

img_0567.jpg

img_0558.jpg

and finally, clearance to remove the oil filter :upthumbs
img_0556.jpg

-Luigi
:cool

:D

Sounds even sweeter... and I can still hear the radio...

Thanks,

-Luigi

I stuck with the original Champion HOT plugs specified in the owners manual when I did mine several years ago.

The passenger's side firewall plug is a doozy!... Prepare to bathe in coolant as the turbo up pipe must come out and the turbo coolant line is in the way so it comes off too.

Don't forget NOT to loose the copper crush washer on the banjo bolt of the turbo coolant line.

Be patient, keep your cool, and stop wishing you were an elf to get in there easily.

:eek:hnoes

-Luigi

I stuck with the original Champion HOT plugs specified in the owners manual when I did mine several years ago.

The passenger's side firewall plug is a doozy!... Prepare to bathe in coolant as the turbo up pipe must come out and the turbo coolant line is in the way so it comes off too.

Don't forget NOT to loose the copper crush washer on the banjo bolt of the turbo coolant line.

Be patient, keep your cool, and stop wishing you were an elf to get in there easily.

:eek:hnoes

-Luigi

Talking with MZ at Callaway, I asked him what his trick was for changing plugs - he said the best way was to have Wayne do it ;LOL

Seriously, he said a 6mm "wobble" end allen wrench would get the pass. side tube off its flange. The driver's side is a slip-fit hose - over - flange design.

He did not indicate any collant line off the turbo coming off - Was this neccesary, or convenience? ;shrug

Any other tips?? :confused

Boosted Max, how was your pass. side :eek:hnoes

When I did my 1st tune up back in 2003, I could not get to one of the allen bolts holding the "up pipe" without removing the coolant banjo bolt on the passenger side turbo.

I ended up taking a bath in coolant when I took the banjo bolt off :L. And if you have to do that, don't loose the copper crush washer on the banjo bolt.

Good luck to ya!

-Luigi

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom