Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My new C6 Z06 vs C5 Z06

Gersh

Corvette
"06 Z06, Kawasaki ZZR, "66 supercharged Chev 489
Well, I got museum delivery of my Z06 three days ago! Gorgeous car! Not as bright color as the DSOM picture on the Corvette website, but pretty.

I wish I could say more about performance, but I am still breaking it in--500 miles of gentle driving. I think the exhaust could be louder--the exhaust cutout valves are visible BEHIND the mufflers, so I don't understand how they work.

It is an interesting car... Many differences from my 2002 Z06.
There is more tendency to take decisions away from the driver and leave them up to the computer. For example, when you let off the throttle suddenly, it doesn't slow abruptly or with a jerk; it slows the throttle down very smoothly--not sure I like it, since it means the car is not responding directly to my instructions to slow down. The passenger airbag can not be turned off by choice--it is a computer choice based on weight in the passenger seat, and they are not too confident about the results with a child or baby seat... take your chances: I would rather just turn it OFF. Also, there is a message on the rearview mirror ALL THE TIME about the passenger airbag being on or off--annoying detail.

The steering effort is very light. The accelleration at half throttle is stunning. I like the gearing better than in my old C5 Z06. The keyless entry and ignition seems like a good idea--so far I like it. The windows automatically go down an inch when you open the door and back up after you close--cute, but probably destined to break down shortly after the warranty expires.

The engine has the builder's name on a plate on the top right--mine was built by Chuck Witmer. The air scoop on the front appears to be cosmetic--doesn't go into the air intake, just opens into the engine compartment.

I really like the fender protectors--my old car has haze behind the front and rear tires from sand hitting the body. The new Z06 has black plastic guards that stick out past the bodywork, which the C6 coupe doesn't have. The fender flares look pretty tough from the outside, but when I look at them in the rearview it is a weird, unfamiliar look.

Overall the car has a more blocky, squared off, aggressive look, compared to the C5. Very nice package.

It seems a bit like taking a new wife who is 15 years younger--cute and low miles but it's very hard to give up the old wife who has been faithful and wonderful for twenty years--maybe I need to keep both... It's OK, I can say that because my wife never reads these forums.

Gersh

Congrats on your awesome new Ride! Thanks for the insight to the new Z! Can't wait to hear even more as you roll past the 500 miles!

Its the best in the world!

Good luck

JB

Excellent comparison. The lowering of the glass an inch is known as "indexing." It's a feature found on higher-end European cars and is useful for insuring that a tight seal is acquired when the door is closed.

Did they do the "indexing" thing on the 05/06 Verts? Reason I ask is that while visiting the upper room [2nd floor] where the Vettes are kept at my dealer in L-ville, they had a triple black vert there, and the door was ajar. When I noticed it was ajar and went around to close it, I notice that the glass would hit the edge of the vert top, and the door would not close. I decided not to monkey with it. Figured that somebody opened the car and then didn't take a care and just flipped the door to close it without noticing that the glass hit the top and the door didn't close. I thought about it later and figured maybe it had that lowering feature that somehow got turned off. I forgot to mention it to a salesman who was downstairs before I left. Would hate to think it was a QC issue on a new car.

Changing the exhaust note:
The Z06 exhaust cut-outs are vacuum operated so you need to be at or near full throttle to kill enough vacuum for them to work.

On the Z06's that I have looked at, there is a vacuum connector right below the windshield wiper area of the firewall on the drivers side that supplies vacuum to the exhaust cut-outs in the mufflers. If you disconnect this vacuum line, the cut-outs open all the way and the car gets much louder all the time - nice to have sometimes.

2006 C6 Z06

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the 2006 C6 Z06 has OnStar? I have all the brochures and have read them 20+ times. Nothing mentioned about OnStar. My Z06 was ordered in December. Build date is the last week of January 2006. I opted for the polished wheels and the front license plate holder, but not the Navigation System. There is no mention of OnStar for the Z06. Anyone know about this? Dealer does not know. Two calls to the OnStar folks. One says "I've never seen a Corvette without it." But was not certain about the Z06. Another says probably not.

It is offered on the standard Corvette.

Lar

Gersh said:
Well, I got museum delivery of my Z06 three days ago! Gorgeous car! Not as bright color as the DSOM picture on the Corvette website, but pretty.

I wish I could say more about performance, but I am still breaking it in--500 miles of gentle driving. I think the exhaust could be louder--the exhaust cutout valves are visible BEHIND the mufflers, so I don't understand how they work.

It is an interesting car... Many differences from my 2002 Z06.
There is more tendency to take decisions away from the driver and leave them up to the computer. For example, when you let off the throttle suddenly, it doesn't slow abruptly or with a jerk; it slows the throttle down very smoothly--not sure I like it, since it means the car is not responding directly to my instructions to slow down. The passenger airbag can not be turned off by choice--it is a computer choice based on weight in the passenger seat, and they are not too confident about the results with a child or baby seat... take your chances: I would rather just turn it OFF. Also, there is a message on the rearview mirror ALL THE TIME about the passenger airbag being on or off--annoying detail.

The steering effort is very light. The accelleration at half throttle is stunning. I like the gearing better than in my old C5 Z06. The keyless entry and ignition seems like a good idea--so far I like it. The windows automatically go down an inch when you open the door and back up after you close--cute, but probably destined to break down shortly after the warranty expires.

The engine has the builder's name on a plate on the top right--mine was built by Chuck Witmer. The air scoop on the front appears to be cosmetic--doesn't go into the air intake, just opens into the engine compartment.

I really like the fender protectors--my old car has haze behind the front and rear tires from sand hitting the body. The new Z06 has black plastic guards that stick out past the bodywork, which the C6 coupe doesn't have. The fender flares look pretty tough from the outside, but when I look at them in the rearview it is a weird, unfamiliar look.

Overall the car has a more blocky, squared off, aggressive look, compared to the C5. Very nice package.

It seems a bit like taking a new wife who is 15 years younger--cute and low miles but it's very hard to give up the old wife who has been faithful and wonderful for twenty years--maybe I need to keep both... It's OK, I can say that because my wife never reads these forums.

Gersh

ONSTAR?????

I just took delivery yesterday of my long awaited 2006 ZO6. I chose all
available options and looked carefully at OnStar. While available on the
standard Corvette it is NOT available on our new ZO6s.
Another topic that may be of interest is the mounting of the front license
plate holder. In my state, front and rear are required but my dealer talked
me out of installing the front plate, as he would have had to drill holes in the nose blocking some of the air from the radiator. Also, it really detracts
from the look of the car.
I took some real great high resolution pics today, but I can't figure out how to
include them in this Reply. Cannot wait to get those first 500 miles on her.
I got up to 9 today.

Please consider an aftermarket front license plate holder..

It sits lower..probably a hundred bucks..and looks much better..(no drilling needed) Thats what I would recommend if you decide to go with a front plate..

wwwpfyc.com has them.

or go without a front plate....

I believe the exhaust cutouts can be made to stay open by removing the fuses that control it. I have hear of folks who have done custom switches to turn it off an on at will.
I would check out the other websites.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91808

I just got done watching the 06 Z06 test drive on the Speed channel at Atlanta speedway with Jeff Gordon, Hot Damn You guys have got a awsome vehicle there, congrats to all you new Z06 C6 owners, I guess Ill have to Dream a little longer while driving my C5.
They also showed a short clip from the Bowling Green assembly plant putting the Z together, pretty impressive for the the Price tag.

Drive safe Guys and Gals

Gersh,

Very interesting reading.

The airbag info and the computer-assisted-decision making (for lack of a better term) were disheartening to me. I would also like to just turn a key to turn off the airbag (like in the C5). I wonder what prompted that 'feature'? Some kind of federal regulation?

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions.

Tammy

Dakota kid said:
I believe the exhaust cutouts can be made to stay open by removing the fuses that control it. I have hear of folks who have done custom switches to turn it off an on at will.
I would check out the other websites.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91808

Look under the passenger side carpet, clear at the front--the fuse box under there has a red fuse at the LOWER RIGHT which can be removed (when the engine is off) and the exhaust valves will stay open all the time, rather than just over 3500 RPM. I did it and it is louder, more resonant and throatier, but not excessive, in my opinion.
Gersh

Tammy--
I talked to my salesman quite a bit about the airbag yesterday. He said the owner's manual has a lot of universal, federally required language that doesn't really mean much (like put the baby's car seat in the back seat). But he assured me that when the airbag says it is off, it really is off--and my baby in the car seat was fine--never triggered the airbag on at all. On the other hand, my 10 year old son (110 lb)was having a great time lifting his weight, to turn the airbag on and off, little rascal.... Driving the car more, I like it better and better. My salesman also says I can go more aggressively on the throttle after 200 miles, which I passed this morning, and I loved it!
Gersh

500+

GERSH:
Read the owners manual it says 500 miles for break-in.
59-62USNVET

Gersh said:
Tammy--
I talked to my salesman quite a bit about the airbag yesterday. He said the owner's manual has a lot of universal, federally required language that doesn't really mean much (like put the baby's car seat in the back seat). But he assured me that when the airbag says it is off, it really is off--and my baby in the car seat was fine--never triggered the airbag on at all. On the other hand, my 10 year old son (110 lb)was having a great time lifting his weight, to turn the airbag on and off, little rascal.... Driving the car more, I like it better and better. My salesman also says I can go more aggressively on the throttle after 200 miles, which I passed this morning, and I loved it!
Gersh

LOL I enjoyed the story about your 10 year old son lifting on and off the seat!

I'm sure he's enjoying driving with his dad in such a great car!

Best of luck with it!

JB

BREAK IN PERIOD

I just finished watching the DVD that came with the car. It says that 200 Miles
is for hard braking and 500 Miles for full throttle acceleration. I am up to 28
Miles as of yesterday. Gonna hit the road now and try to put some more Miles
on it.
59-62USNVET.

59-62USNVET said:
I just finished watching the DVD that came with the car. It says that 200 Miles
is for hard braking and 500 Miles for full throttle acceleration. I am up to 28
Miles as of yesterday. Gonna hit the road now and try to put some more Miles
on it.
59-62USNVET.

Whoops! I haven't watched the DVD--guess I'll back off on the gas for a while longer. Thanks for telling me.
Gersh

59-62USNVET ?

Is the picture of your car correct? Is it pink? The only reason Im asking is Ive only seen one in Kerbeck's ad. Just curious.

PINK 06 ZO6

94 conv:

Actually the color is "PASSION PINK" a unique special request only for a select Chevrolet Corvette clientele. Wha, youse gotta problem whitit?

No, calm down guys. The true story is that on the second day af ownership
and with the odometer reading a paltry 9 miles, I took a few very high
resolution pics and sent them to my son. In his unique distorted sense of
humor (I don't know who he got that from) he sent it back to me and changed
it from Velocity Yellow to Passion Pink. Everyone that has seen it has taken
it serious or totally just cracked up laughing; with one asking if I got the
"Velvet Seat Option". So I decided for now to use it as my avatar untill the
queries and novelty wears off.

59-62USNVET

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom