Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Obligitory Monthly Firing:

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
Today was the obligitory once a month every month firing of the vette. Key in; Check. Battery on; Check. 2 full pumps on the gas pedal; Check. We are go for iginiton in 5-4-3-(ignition on)-1 and ....

VROOOOMMMMMM!!!!!! She fired right over. All the richness of the exhaust after not being fired in a month spilled out of her sidepipes in white billowing clouds. They smothered me like a warm blanket with the fragrance of summer intoxication (unburnt fuel :D ). As I blipped the throttle I could hear the gear driven timing whine a little faster... begging me to put her in reverse and pull out onto the driveway. I let her burble for a few minutes letting all the oil and parts heat up to operating temp. Oh... you know I had too... blip the throttle and hold at 2 grand... at 3 grand... at 4.... Blip up to 5500 wonderfull rpms reverberating in my garage :drool: (I live in a townhouse with an attached two car. Heheee hope my neighbors werent trying to nap)... and back down... a blip at 3, and idle. Repeat. About this time my girlfriend poked her head out from the house. She had this look on her face that I couldn't quite figure out... something along the lines of "Take Cover... Earthquake!!!! Holy SH_T we are all gong to die!!!! Oh, it's you and your damn car... I will kill you later" kind of look.

About this time I was thinking two things... 1) guess i'm not getting any tonight; and 2) Man oh Man do I want to go for a drive. Seeing as there is an inch of salt on the ground... I didn't think it was wise to take the chance... so I took one last wiff of that summer intoxicant called exhause from a big block vette, and turned the key to the off position. I disconnected the battery, closed the door.... Until next month my dear.. until next month.

Happy Holidays all!

-Dave

I got mine started up this weekend too. It was a little late in the day and starting to get dark, but I figured it was worth a drive. The closest salt is the Pacific Ocean so I was safe in that department.

I put another 30 miles on the odometer and had a lot of fun doing it! :D

if snow is not in the forcast I'll start mine and drive to work :D

Great story. Wish I could go start mine up right now and listen to it. *sigh* ohwell... it's three hours away and sleeping. I'm thinking I might have put the car away too early, there have been a few beautiful days here lately. Oh the fun we could have had together. Thanks for the story!

It's still 'vette weather in Raleigh, NC. I ran a tank out today--even had the tops off till the evening. I took this image an hour ago of my vanity plate with my favorite passenger. Yep, C3's still have the magic touch!

33681_p_A59EEA4D-C058-A6F7-97031C3CAF2C76E3.jpg

I think all Corvettes have that Magic Touch... but I'll agree with you, I think C3's have that extra special magic touch. And keep the pictures coming, that last one looks great.

You know... the c3 is the shiznit. I love mine... I've owned it for a little over a year, and spent quite a bit of time, money, blood, sweat and the ocasional "crap I got rust in my eye" tear over her. I also cannot forget about my first 4 wheel love... my Trans Am. So yes.. after I fired the vette in the aforementioned story, the TA got her go around too. Now, the TA puts out a lot more HP than the vette, and the tuned borla exhaust sounds like... well we won't go into that right now. But my point here is that for all the newness and technology of the TA, and all her power....

I still love starting the vette more :Twist .

74bigblock said:
Today was the obligitory once a month every month firing of the vette. Key in; Check. Battery on; Check. 2 full pumps on the gas pedal; Check. We are go for iginiton in 5-4-3-(ignition on)-1 and ....

VROOOOMMMMMM!!!!!! She fired right over. All the richness of the exhaust after not being fired in a month spilled out of her sidepipes in white billowing clouds. They smothered me like a warm blanket with the fragrance of summer intoxication (unburnt fuel :D ). As I blipped the throttle I could hear the gear driven timing whine a little faster... begging me to put her in reverse and pull out onto the driveway. I let her burble for a few minutes letting all the oil and parts heat up to operating temp. Oh... you know I had too... blip the throttle and hold at 2 grand... at 3 grand... at 4.... Blip up to 5500 wonderfull rpms reverberating in my garage :drool: (I live in a townhouse with an attached two car. Heheee hope my neighbors werent trying to nap)... and back down... a blip at 3, and idle. Repeat. About this time my girlfriend poked her head out from the house. She had this look on her face that I couldn't quite figure out... something along the lines of "Take Cover... Earthquake!!!! Holy SH_T we are all gong to die!!!! Oh, it's you and your damn car... I will kill you later" kind of look.

About this time I was thinking two things... 1) guess i'm not getting any tonight; and 2) Man oh Man do I want to go for a drive. Seeing as there is an inch of salt on the ground... I didn't think it was wise to take the chance... so I took one last wiff of that summer intoxicant called exhause from a big block vette, and turned the key to the off position. I disconnected the battery, closed the door.... Until next month my dear.. until next month.

Happy Holidays all!

-Dave

It was so nice here today... yes thats right, I did. The roads were clear and dry... not a flake in the sky or on the ground. The salt was washed/blew away. FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!! It was about 40 here today, so I just got back from a litte noise making jaunt around the neighborhood. Gosh that felt great... and I can still smell the exhaust on me!! ... Better than cologne! She's running a little rich, but still nice. I leaned her out some, but not enough.

Hope you all get your chance sooner than later. For those of you who live in more hospitable climates... keep your mouths shut!!!

I've got my keys in my hand redy to go to work :D still no snow here.

No snow here in Northern, VA...yet. Took mine to work twice this week, Monday and yesterday. Yesterday morning was around 30 degrees and it fired right up. I do miss having the tops off though...but at least I have the glass T's on it so I can enjoy some feeling of open. Still, there's nothing better than cruising in a C3, tops on or off! Hopefully, I'll get it out today too. I am trying to drive it at the least, twice a week. January and February can be somewhat harsh around here...the only positive of entering these cold months, is that it puts us that much closer to summer.

Gonna go an fire mine up right now. It's been about a month since I last had her running.....carb tuning problems. Weather should hit 40 today. Want to get a little run in before the snow starts flying tonight.

I just came from firing mine up also, I have it stored in one of those rental unit. there was some lady there getting something out, so when I opened my garage door and pulled it out to warm up she looked over and said" I only find old cloths in mine" It felt good I wanted to take it out on the road but they are calling for snow, warmed it up then put it back to sleep for a month, hope santa bring it a lot of toys. :Steer

I went down to the garage and dusted mine off today...so she would not think that I had forgotten her....
After all I did drive her last month for at leaste 20 miles....

Mike

Poor baby. I only get to go on little rondezvous with Ruby every other weekend, less if it snows.

And I agree, it's like the NASCAR commercial, I like the smell of 90 octane cologne and exhaust!

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!! (Corvette)

20 min later....

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!! (Trans Am)

It is 50 degres here in Chicago today on Dec. 30th!! (WTF?). Too bad it's raining.

The Trans am is still running down in the garage :) . I can hear it lub lub lubbing away. ;help I have a sickness.

I was told by the guy that works on my car (Corvette Restoration business in MA) that it's not a good idea to run them in the cold weather. I was telling him that I used to start it about once a month while storing it for the winter, and he said you're better off not starting it at all. He didn't elaborate, but I suspect it might have had something to do with condensation. I used to start it and let it run for 30-40 minutes. It's funny, the time would fly by...I love just listening to my car idle. This year, I decided to store it in a building he rents. He has several vintage vettes that he stores for customers over the winter months.

I'm not worried about cold starts. I always do it on a warmer day (above freezing). Letting it run at temp for 20 min is plenty of time for any condensation to burn off. Besides... my garage is at about 40 on the coldest of days.

A Year later and we are back at it again... Smells so much better with 110 Leaded race fuel. I gotta move outta this freezer!

My car ran great on the 110 octane, but if you let it sit for a couple of weeks with that gas in it, it was damn hard starting and ran/idled like crap for quite a while. I'd have to run it for several miles before it would idle normally.

JJS said:
My car ran great on the 110 octane, but if you let it sit for a couple of weeks with that gas in it, it was damn hard starting and ran/idled like crap for quite a while. I'd have to run it for several miles before it would idle normally.

Mine sat for over a month without turning over.... Gave her 5 full squirts of the pedal... turned the ignition.... Poooooomm!!!!! fired right over... no rough idle.... just like normal. Maybe you got some water in your gas?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom