Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My transmission is shot I think.. need help

L

lilc2197

well hey guys, im new here.. and I have a 76 corvette and had it since april. I am 16 years old and really dont know that much about cars yet, my dad usually helps me but lately he has been real busy. anyways to the point. Well I burned out in it 1 time about 2 weeks ago thinking it wouldnt do anything, later I found out there wasnt a yolk on it.. so about 3 days later 2nd gear startet making this high pitched scratchy noise, other gears were fine.. couple of days later 3rd gear is making the same noise. My dad suggested it would be the throw out barring in it.. if thats so how do I put a new one on? is there a website explaining how to take it apart and stuff?

First off ~ Welcome lilc2197 to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Throwout bearing, you must have a 4-speed ;)

Throwout bearings have been known to "squeel" a bit from time to time, sometimes even newly replaced ones ;)

When the squeel starts, try pushing in on the clutch, or put pressure on the clutch and see if the squeeling stops. My guess is your dad is probably right about the throw out bearing being noisy.

To put a new one in isn't real hard, but it will seem that way to you with you experience..

I don't know if there is a "how to" for changing out the bearing, but you'll need to disconnect the shifter linkage, then disconnect the drive shaft (which will cause fluid to come out of the tailshaft of the transmission), then remove the transmission (4 bolts) pull the transmission back away from the bell housing, then remove the splash pan on the bell housing (that's easier than removing the bell housing, which you can do if you want, it just has a lot more bolts to remove).

The Bearing sits in a shaft that looks like a Fork pay attention to how it is installed because the new has to go back in the same way the old one was installed.. As Long as you leave the Clutch and Clutch Plate in place, you shouldn't have to use a "pilot" shaft for alignment before putting it all back together, then just reverse the removal prossess to put everything back together.

You'll need to have the car up on Jack Stands or a hoist, BE VERY SURE IT IS SECURELY ON THE JACK STANDS BEFORE YOU CRAWL UNDER THE CAR Safty First, SAFETY FIRST..

This is short version, but it will give you an idea of what your looking forward too.. It really isn't to difficult and it is a nice starter project ;)

You'll get a bit greasy, but your 76 will love having YOU working on her ;)

Bud

thanks man, and ya its a 4 speed.. I was also wondering if it would be ok to put a 6 speed in it? it seems when im going about 75-80 im running the rpms pretty high in fourth gear, with a 6th gear I wont have to worry about that ya? but this wont happen for a while even if I decide to, just wondering haha.

O and also my rpm gauge doesnt work, how do I get it to work?

I would suggest you go down to the auto parts store and have them order you a 1968-1982 Corvette shop manual, or find one online. That way, you can read up on the step-by-step process before you get into it too heavy. And you can make sure you have the tools to do the job on hand.
It's a good idea to take pictures of your project along the way in case you forget how things came apart.

You might even take it to a good Corvette mechanic for a diagnosis, even if you are planning on doing the job yourself. Diagnosing the source of problems on the internet are not always the easiest things to do, even for us!;)

But the first step to diagnosing the throwout bearing is like Bud said.
Lightly push in the clutch pedal without disengaging the clutch, and the noise should stop, or if you hear a rumble or feel it through the pedal as you slightly apply pressure, it's a good bet the throwout bearing is on its way out.

ahh I have another problem now.. my corvette isnt starting at all! it wont even make a noise when I turn the ignition. this happened 2 days ago, but I jumped it and it was fine. now its doing it again.

ahh I have another problem now.. my corvette isnt starting at all! it wont even make a noise when I turn the ignition. this happened 2 days ago, but I jumped it and it was fine. now its doing it again.
Your cables are more than likely Corroded and it's not making connection!!Do you Live anywhere near Ewing Mo??If so my son lives there maybe he could look at it,if it's Close, he's learned his way around a couple Corvettes!!:upthumbs But he's a SS396 Chevelle guy if that don't bother you!!!;LOL;LOL:rotfl

Check for your ground(s). Notorious for failing. I think we've all replaced our grounds at one time or another. Sometimes just removing them and scuffing them up is enough to restore contact, but that's just a temp fix.

Welcome to the :CAC, youngster! :L There's a lot that can be learned here. You are fortunate to find this place. Stick around and ask questions with proper netiquette, use the search function often, and you will be rewarded nicely.
I was 17 when I bought my car and the internet barely existed. And the CAC certainly didn't exist yet. But I hung around here long enough and now look at me, I'm a fancy-schmancy Moderator!!! ("Ohh Ahh!") :cool
AND...I can even answer a quite a few tech questions that years ago I was the one asking! :L

Welcome lilc2197! You've come to the right place. My first car was my '81 vette, and I also got it when I was 16 (23 now). The guys at the CAC have taught me EVERYTHING I know about Corvettes. Stick with us and we'll get you through all the problems.

It sounds like the transmission fix may be out of your (and my!) league. It would be a really good idea to get a 'vette shop to look her over. They can make a list of work it needs, and you can check them off one at a time. In my experience, an inspection, with no work being completed, can be around $100, and well worth the money! The 6-speed is a do-able swap, but pretty pricey, from what I understand. I believe Richmond makes a 5 and 6 speed transmission that many people favor.

If your battery was jumped and it started up, maybe it's a dead battery? Any idea how old it is? Maybe an interior light is staying on and draining it. I've had that problem, as well as the corroded battery cables others have posted.

This is an expensive hobby, but a damn good one!

-Tatortot

16?

Doing burnouts and driving 75-80 mph? Ya might want to think about getting a vw. Ya might live a little longer.Have ya ever herd the saying "Speed Kills"?

Your cables are more than likely Corroded and it's not making connection!!Do you Live anywhere near Ewing Mo??If so my son lives there maybe he could look at it,if it's Close, he's learned his way around a couple Corvettes!!:upthumbs But he's a SS396 Chevelle guy if that don't bother you!!!;LOL;LOL:rotfl

welll I live in pevely missouri, I really dont know where Ewing is at haha.. and its a new battery by the way, we just got it about 2 months ago. I dont know whats going on with it.. I jumped it and it started.. turned it off, 10 mins later it started, then about 30 mins later it had no power left to start. Do I need to charge it longer?

Doing burnouts and driving 75-80 mph? Ya might want to think about getting a vw. Ya might live a little longer.Have ya ever herd the saying "Speed Kills"?
Poor driving skills 'kill', among other things. (although at 16, I don't know how refined they could be.) :D
Anyways, pretty much any newer VW he could get would be faster than his vette. :cool

welll I live in pevely missouri, I really dont know where Ewing is at haha.. and its a new battery by the way, we just got it about 2 months ago. I dont know whats going on with it.. I jumped it and it started.. turned it off, 10 mins later it started, then about 30 mins later it had no power left to start. Do I need to charge it longer?
He's 160.9 miles North of you!!! Thats probly to Far!!!:chuckle:chuckle

Sorry!!:upthumbs

vw

was thinking more in the line of a nice 60 vw bug 4 speed ;LOL

I was always told to let the car run for at least 20 minutes after being jumped. This could be your problem, but probably not. Are the interior lights working when you attempt to start it? It doesn't even attempt to crank?

I dont know whats going on with it.. I jumped it and it started.. turned it off, 10 mins later it started, then about 30 mins later it had no power left to start. Do I need to charge it longer?
Put a voltmeter on the battery while the car is running. You should be getting at least 14v. If not, your alternator would be suspect. If you are, then I'd suspect a bad ground somewhere.
With the car turned off, measure the voltage coming from the battery at 5 minute intervals. Is it going down?

In this siuation, you need to look at your battery voltage as it is running.
You can get a digital volt meter at Radio Shack for about $8.00.
If the voltage reads 13.7 - 14.1 Volts when the engine is running this means the alternator is charging the battery. If it slowly keeps dropping in voltage at the battery terminals, the alternator isn't charging.

If it seems to be charging, but still doesn't crank after turning it off, then your battery cables need some attention. Either cleaning and tightening the battery terminals or cleaning and tightening the other end at the starter.

With everything off, and the doors closed, check the voltage. It should be about 12.5 to 13.2 Volts with nothing on. If it drops in voltage steadily, something is on that's not supposed to be. Usually interior lights. You can start pulling fuses one at a time until you find which circuit is killing your battery.

Still after all that, and it doesn't start. Check the battery voltage at the battery terminals with the ignition cranking. If it drops like a rock below 12V then the battery (no matter if it's new or not) is bad. They warranty them for a reason.

I was always told to let the car run for at least 20 minutes after being jumped. This could be your problem, but probably not. Are the interior lights working when you attempt to start it? It doesn't even attempt to crank?

Ya it doesnt even attemp to crank at all..

Believe it or notl, these cars are somewhat dangerous. Don't show off alot, or youll either get busted, or the car will get busted. If your 16 and in the car, even if you sittin still, to the cops, your already doin 40...
Im 17, with a 79 Vette and a 78 Trans AM. Trust me, I know... I havent gotten pulled over yet, and I dont plan to.. Knock an wood.
My guess on your no start is a bad cable or a loose ground. The starter grounds to the engine. Take off the strarter, Its on the passenger side by the transmission. 2 bolts hold it on, be careful its heavier the H**l. Get some sandpaper and make sure there is no dirt, grease, rust, etc. Also Check for voltage drop within the positive battery cable. Make sure the battery is charged, take the big wire off the starter. Meaure the voltage between the two posts of the batter. It should be bewteen 12 and 13 volts. Then put one end of the volt meter on the cable, down by the starter, and then put the other volt meter wire on a ground. If there is anything over .1 volt drop, replace the cable. Start there.
A vette is an awesome 1st car, take good care of her, and shell take good care of you
zachh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom