Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery cable

That's it. Garin1 and Eric answered that one before I had a chance. I've got to stop working so late so I can get in here earlier. Most people find out real quick what the cable is the moment they start lifting the body off.:nono
Mike

Bingo
71 Shark gets the Beacon of Reality award for this board today.

Ooops. I see he's the, uh..moderator and he's supposed to know that. Gimme back that trophy....
:)

He's spot on. Those are part of the restraint system and were necessary for the C3 to pass crash testing.

Learned something new today :)

I was unaware of this for the Early Sharks... it's always nice to learn something new ;) Thanks Eric for the answer and to retro75 for asking.

BudD
:w

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...................

Eric and Garin would be correct.

I actually hacked it out of my car as part of the final plans include some welded metal structure between the B pillars and down across the floor for the purpose of tieing the seats to the seatbelt frame and a four point harness. Heck, a Kia at 150 mph would be safer than my car at 25 mph, but anything has got to be better than that half breed last minute thought structure that you have now identified.

It really seems to me that in a bad accident, the cable mount would pull out of the opposing floor board and be able to slip about 4 to 5" before catching in the welded tab in the frame. Providing the impact force is great enough, that would continue to slip through escpecially if you are pushing a solid 190 lbs like me.

I suggest anybody with a C3 coupe check out the roll cage offered by JEGGS Performance for around $300. It is a four point mount and you can hook a saftey harness direct to that and eliminate that scary stuff from the factory. Plus it looks cool. Unfortunately, there is none that I am aware of as a direct bolt/weld in for the rag tops. That is why I will be having a custom one built.

Cable

Well thanks guys for the explanation on the cable. I really need to slide back under there and take another look at it. If thats for the seat belts it's really a poor design and I can't believe that GM thought it would work.
As for crashing in a vette, if its any thing above 50 mph your in serious trouble and it won't be pretty. It's kind of like crashing a motorcycle,YOU always lose.
(Well maybe if you hit a Suzuki swift you would win)

Roy

just be sure to collide with a KIA.
had one run into my truck and almost didn't
know it untill I got out and found car parts scattered
all over the road.

Oh ... drive shaft loop ... NOT

I recall seeing a loop of heavy stainless cable under my 71. Didn't pay it much attention. Silly me ... I had assumed it was a cheezy drive shaft safety loop. Seems like Yoda & I are slipping.
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom