Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

nav systems c5

gcmlear

Corvette
2004 WHITE CONVERT
Hi folks I'm going to buy a portable nav system for my car, (I love gadgets) and I am leaning toward the garmon 660. Anyone have this and how do you like it. Any other comments regarding other models would be appreciated. I am getting a headache from trying to compare all these different makes models etc.

We have the Garmin c340. In SoCal, they don't always announce when a freeway is going to be closed for maintenance. Just pass your exit, and it begins re-calculating and gets you where you want to go. Downside... You may know a better way than it does, and it starts re-calculating a lot, telling you to turn around, do this, do that. We have the "Jill" voice enabled, and my wife says, "It sounds like Jill is getting ****ed at you." Bottom line - it works well.

I bought the Garmin Streetpilot 2720 this spring and love it. It delivers you right at the front door to wherever you want to go. I took a 5000 mile trip this fall and it guided me to every destination. When traveling through St Louis, there was an accident on the interstate and I was forced to exit on to another highway. The Garmin recalulated my route and got me back on track with no problems. I wouldn't leave town without it now.

Street Pilot is great.........

I just purchased the Tomtom One. Basic unit, large touch screen, comes complete with US and Canada maps, easy to use, blue tooth capable, still learning all the bell's and whistles, but so far it's been great.

I've been looking at the Pioneer in dash unit. One of the problems is we have a 1.5 din spot in the C5 (not a normal 1 din or a 2 din). I love the features of the in dash one, the large screen flips out, all the nav stuff, xm radio controller, dvd player (although I can think of better places to watch a dvd), even has a guage screen (acceleration, lateral G's, RPM's...neat stuff).

Just haven't jumped to have it put in. I saw a C5 install where they had to mod the dash a little (they did a good job) just not sure I wanna let them poke around inside baby to hook all that up :)

Anyone have one of these?

I manage a heating and cooling company and we have quite a few of the magenlen roadmate 800's My partner did all of the shopping for these.

They have been holding up well and the learning curve was short on them.

Some of the important things to me are

Loud speaker to hear over a radio
Touch screen
exsternal antena possibility so I can permanantly mount the unit other then up on my windsheild,(just like the radar detectors of the 80'S these things are now being stolen off of windsheilds in your driveway)

Becarefull on the screen size as you would think bigger is always better but you still need a place to put it in the car.

Warrenty

I love mine,Dont know how I did with out.

I also have the Magellan 800...it is amazing but I do wish that you could tell it to "save a route" because sometimes I do know a better way and if someone else is using it they could benifit from that. Also the design of putting the speaker facing the windshield puzzles me????? If anyone knows a way to increase the volume please let me know...I called them and guess what... I got someone in India that I could hardly understand! Other then those peeves I do think it is still amazing!

Any comments on the blue tooth capabilities on these items. How do the phones work?

Any comments on the blue tooth capabilities on these items. How do the phones work?

I use the Verizon V phone with navigation. I like the model because it flips open to reveal a normal "qwerty" keyboard. It's a good fit for me because I have several cars, plus I often rent a car when I'm out of town on business. Also if you're on vacation or in a large city on business, it's helpful when your just walking around. Although it's not always accurate it's saved my butt many times. The above comments are true. The system will find you the shortest route, but not always the quickest. The problem I find using a navigation system is that you tend to NOT commit things to memory and become too reliant on it. At least that's my experience.

yeah...remember when we had to actually remember phone #'s! Now they are all stored in our cell phones...till the battery runs out!

I have owned the Lowrance I-Way 500 for 4 years.

I would not go anywhere without it. For an old guy bathroom stops are a must
as are rest areas.

The most important feature, is that you can download all the upgrades and "new points" from your computer without any costs.

My friend bought a "TomTom" and he likes mine better just for the download feature.

I have owned the Lowrance I-Way 500 for 4 years.quote]

Don, how do you mount it? I seriously considered it as the best GPS (especially for aging eyes) but at 6.1"W x 4.5"H x 2.15"D it is very large for the rather close confines of a C5.
Thanx,
Jim

Jim, The I-way 500 comes with several mounting options.
The one I use all the time for multiple cars is the weighted base that conforms to any dashboard. I have used it for thousands of miles in my C5
with no problems whatsoever. If you send me your e-mail address I'll take a photo of it on the Corvettes dashboard (don_rich@sbcglobal.net). The only time it moves on the dash is hard left hand turns, but you usually are ready for these and I just put my hand on it until the G-forces pass.

I have the Magellan 300 and don't quite know how I got along without one. Anyway, following an idea I saw right here, I removed the ashtray, repostioned the Heating / AC controls to the bottom and mounted the Magellan in the center slot. A little black ABS plastic and some black weatherstip completed the install.
Happy Holidays~

I have the Magellan 300 and don't quite know how I got along without one. Anyway, following an idea I saw right here, I removed the ashtray, repostioned the Heating / AC controls to the bottom and mounted the Magellan in the center slot. A little black ABS plastic and some black weatherstip completed the install.
Happy Holidays~
jnj, you don't by any chance have some pictures of your completed install do you? I'd like to see how it looks and I'll bet that there a few others who would as well.
Thanks......
Andy Anderson

Hi Navy2KCoupe,
Photos of the install coming very soon.

GPS mounting systems by RAM

Try checking out GPSCITY.com website as they carry RAM mounting systems which can be adpated to carry everything from a 660 GPS to a laptop; in everything from a car to an airplane.......... to the handle bars of your motorcycle....

Good luck...

I have a Nuvi 350, one of the vechicle icons even looks like my red C5. The Nuvi 360 adds bluetooth. A Tom Tom One (no tts) or a 910 ( with tts, since most of its mount problems are solved) would be good choices.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom