Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need 1978 Pace Car Colour Code

StephenP

Corvette
1978 silver anniversary L-82, 1996 Impala SS
Does anyone out there know what this is, or where to get the paint? I understand that the silver used was not the same as the silver metallic used on other cars. It would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Steve ;help

Does anyone out there know what this is, or where to get the paint? I understand that the silver used was not the same as the silver metallic used on other cars. It would be greatly appreciated!...

Steve- first of all... WELCOME TO THE CAC!

I think you are asking what the factory color codes were. You can find them here on the CAC in the tech center -
Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C3 | 1978 | 1978 Corvette Production and Performance

The Pace Cars had color codes 19/47... 19 being black (upper color) and 47 being sliver (lower color).

So yes, the silver on the Pace Car is a different color than the Silver Anniversary. The Silver Anniversary has a code 13 for its silver.

Hope that helps- and welcome to the CAC!

:thumb

From a discussion we had on another site. Maybe it'll help.....

"Jake wound up finding the correct color on a PPG Chart, however, it was on a 79 Corvette only color and it was the correct 47 called "Pace Car Silver". It was a single stage paint, he sot a piece and then had it matched to be a base coat/clear coat. It matches the tape stripe silver perfectly and you canot see where the tape meets the paint.

Who knows why it shows up on a 79 chart. That is why we could never find it to begin with. I am sure LittleJake can give you more details if needed.
thumbsup.gif
"

Need 1978 Pace Car Paint Code

From a discussion we had on another site. Maybe it'll help.....

"Jake wound up finding the correct color on a PPG Chart, however, it was on a 79 Corvette only color and it was the correct 47 called "Pace Car Silver". It was a single stage paint, he sot a piece and then had it matched to be a base coat/clear coat. It matches the tape stripe silver perfectly and you canot see where the tape meets the paint.

Who knows why it shows up on a 79 chart. That is why we could never find it to begin with. I am sure LittleJake can give you more details if needed.
thumbsup.gif
"

thanks for the info, i really appreciate it!!!
You are right!, i did find what i needed on a 79 chart, probably ended up on the 1979 charts because the Pace Car did not come out until 1979 as i recall (I did not even know about it when i ordered my Silver Anniversary L-82 at the time). I found what i need on the "GM Paint Codes" web site, which shows Color Code 47, named "Indy Silver", PPG #33323, but strange as it may seems, the black color (Color Code 19) does not show up on the 1979 site, but shows up on the 1978 chart as "Tuxedo Black", PPG #9300.

thanks again & best wishes.
:)

...probably ended up on the 1979 charts because the Pace Car did not come out until 1979 as i recall...

All the Pace Cars were assembled from about mid-March to mid-May, 1978. All 6502 were completed in time for the race on Memorial Day weekend of that year.

1978 Pace Cars

All the Pace Cars were assembled from about mid-March to mid-May, 1978. All 6502 were completed in time for the race on Memorial Day weekend of that year.

thanks for the info, Mike, i guess i should have known from the Race date. I guess i was confused as to when i ordered mine, must have been summer of 1977 (not 1978). In any case, the color does not appear on the 1978 GM Color Code chart, but on the 1979 chart. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

...thanks for the info...

Here's a blurb from a GM memo regarding the pace cars:

Three vehicles will be shipped to Indianapolis April 14, 1978.

Vehicles will be secured at the Indy Museum with the Winner's corvette being put on display in the museum.

The (back-up) Pace Car and the Official Pace Car will be transfered to a garage in Gasoline Alley on Friday, May 5, preparatory to the track opening on Saturday, May 6, 1978.

(Emphasis mine)

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom