Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NEED BRAKE FLUID FLUSH PROCEDURE FOR C5

Craig1979

Corvette
1979 L82
I'm getting ready to flush and change the brake fluid on a 1998 Corvette that I recently acquired.

I've done this numerous time successfully on my 1979 Corvette using a hand vacuum pump at the caliper bleeder, maintaining the master cylinder full with fresh fluid, and pulling the new fluid through the system with a vacuum, and thus forcing the old fluid out. But my 1979 doesn't have computers or ABS brakes.

I'm getting conflicting info on the brake fluid replacement process for the 1998 C5.

Initially I was told that the procedure I used on the 1979 Corvette would work fine on the 1998 Corvette???

Then someone told me that I shouldn't use the hand vacuum pump, that only a master cylinder pressure bleeder should be used???

Someone else told me that I had to disconnect the battery before performing brake fluid flushing to avoid setting off some diagnostic trouble codes???

Someone else told me that the brake fluid flush was a dealer-only job because of potential damage to the ABS controller???

NEED SOME CLARIFICATION IF POSSIBLE!
I've searched the previous threads but can't find a clear answer.

Is there someone that has performed this brake fluid flush on a similiar year C5 Corvette........ that can enlighten as to the correct steps/procedure to accomplish this task my a "do-it-yourselfer"?
Hopefully using a hand vacuum pump (which I have) at the caliper bleeders.

(In my rural area I don't have a local Chevy dealership I trust with Corvette work).

THANKS MUCH
Craig W

Mity vac will work ok, Make sure the key is off when you do it. That will open the valves in the ABS. The only trouble with the mity vac is that sometimes air will enter around the bleeder screw and make it more difficult to get a good job. I now use just a bleeder bottle and the brake pedal!
I have been told that the cheaper power bleeders will put some air into the fluid when used although I never had that problem, The bleeder bottle I use is from pegasus racing and has a nipple on the top to park the hose when you take it off the bleeder screw (much neater) and a cable to hang it under the wheel well (hands free)

Changing Brake Fluid.....

Your personal well being is very dependant upon the proper operation of those brakes.......and IF you are having any second doubts...take it to the professionals, who have the proper equipment, and do it for a living and get it done right. The piece of mind will be worth the extra cost.

You can't really put a "price" on your safety, as well as your loved ones...........plus how often do you change your brake fluid.

My $.02 ...for what it's worth!
:beer :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom