Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need engine code help

rkew

Corvette
Roman Red '62 and Competition Yellow '91 Coupe
I need some help figuring out exactly what I have in my '62.

The casting number (3782870) tells me it's a 327, which is a good thing for a '62. The block pad stamping clearly shows two sets of small numbers towards the front edge of the block pad stamping, which I understand is another good thing. However, that's where it may get ugly.

Facing the rear of the vehicle, the set of numbers on the left (the side closest to the passenger side of the car) appears to be the VIN stamping # (124441). The set of numbers on the right appears to be the primary engine code (TIII5SH). From what I've read, the "T" in the engine code isn't something a '57-'64 Vette owner wants to see. It means the engine was assembled in Tonawanda, NY as opposed to Flint (F) and Flint is where ALL of the Corvette engines between '57 and '64 were assembled. Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong. Additionally, the last six digits of the VIN number on my steering column are 109786. From what I gather, the fact that those six digits don't match the six digits on the block pad stamping means it's definitely not the engine that was mated with this car's drivetrain in the assembly plant in St. Louis, right?

Either way, the third thing that's puzzling me is what the 5-character stamping just above those two numbers is all about. It's also on the stamping block but partially covered by the head. The characters are nearly twice as large as the other two sets of numbers and it looks like they say RC440. Does that "RC" have anything to do with the engine code suffix that represents the 250 hp version of the '62 Corvette 327 or is it merely a coincidence?

To summarize:
Is it a Vette engine?
Is it a '62 Vette engine?
Is it the enginge that was matched the my car in the assembly plant?
Whether it is or isn't a Vette engine, the casting number tells me it's a 327. Any idea what the suffix SH stands for?

Any help answering any of the these unknowns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to tell you but it is not the engine your car came with and it is not a Corvette engine. I don't have my books here at work so I can't go any further than that right now.

The RC440 may be a rebuilders code. The fact that it was obviously stamped with the heads off would seem to varify that. GM stampings were on assembled engines.

As for the year see if you can see the casting date on the opposite side of the bellhousing flange from the casting number.

At least it is a 327 of some sort.

Tom

In general, stampings that begin with "S" indicate original Powerglide trans usage. Corvette powerglides in 62 were either SC or SD. SH is not a Corvette code...likely a passenger car suffix. Chuck

To answer your question Tom, the date code on the engine casting appears to read TG62 - yet another confirmation it's a Tonawanda engine and definitely not a Vette engine.

I do know it was rebuilt, which may very well be the source of the RC440 stamping. My dad bought it as a basket-case in '74 for $1,600. It had been raced and wrecked (he ended up replacing the entire front clip). The guy he bought it from told him it was the original engine and it had recently been rebuilt. I guess he was telling half of the truth. I have no idea who owned it before that guy so maybe he didn't really know about the true origin of the engine.

I find S, SA and SB for passenger cars of the 1962 year so I'm guessing it to be a 1/2 ton pickup 327/powerglide. I have truck books downstairs someplace but I haven't run across them lately.

Tom

Maybe it's an SA as opposed to an SH. I'll double check it tonight and let you know. Too many tears welling up in my eyes I guess when I didn't see one of the '62 suffixes.

Out of curiosity, what can you tell me about the SA?

Thanks,

Ryan

S= powerglide

SA= powerglide and C. A. C. (air conditioning)

SB= powerglide and high performance (300hp)

It definitely reads SH.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom