Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help! Bumper Paint Question

Metallic5

Corvette
2000 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe
Could use some help if anyone has any experience on paint. I've read all the posts and from what I can tell just getting the bumper painted is not going to produce the perfect match to the original paint. The reason that I'm posting is because I just got my Light Metallic Pewter 2000 C5 back from the dealer and the paint itself is excellent as far as I can see, but the color is off. Not by a lot, but it is a shade darker. You can really tell when you look at the car from the side. Looking at the car from the front, and standing close in front is fine. But the side just doesn't match up right. I went back to the dealer and was told that if I wanted they would go ahed and blend the fenders, but it might look worse. Am I being thick headed, or can this be done so that it is not such a difference in colors? The back bumper is not perfect, just real close. It is actually a shade lighter. Please could anyone give me any advice as to how to what to do?
Thanks for any input. Rex

Ive got the same colored coupe. I'm no expert, but colors are hard to match considering that the car is metalic. I wonder if you are seeing the difference as part of the metal flecks laying down differently from the original paint. I was told that the metalic flecks will lay down differently based on th paint and the temperature, and it was nearly impossible to get exact.

I had a midnight blue metalic car painted and it matched exactly. When I was looking around for a repair shop, several of them said that they had to paint the fenders as well to make it look right. I said if they couldn't match the color on the damaged part I didn't want them to paint the car. Good choice on my part. I did my research by calling Mercedes, BMW and other high end dealers and asking them where they would take their cars if they got damaged on the lot.

It should all match, but then again I'm color blind.

Thanks for your input guys!It's not the metal flakes that concern me, the color is just not the same shade, the new paint is darker and does not have the bronze tint of the origional. I didn't think that it would be such a terrible contrast, but unfortunately it is. I was told originally that the car would need to have the fenders and the hood painted/ blended in so the color would match. They did not do it, and I am not sure that it is because they were happy with the match or they didn't want to make it worse. I'm not real crazy about going back there, because the guy got kind of hot, he said "I knew I shouldn't of took this job." I just wish he would of told me that in the beginning!

This may be a stupid question, but I noticed on your corvette description you labeled it as a 2000 Pewter metallic. I have a 2000 Sebring Silver metallic. I didn't know they had both colors in 2000. Could they have read the color code wrong. I'm with the others, take it to a place that will 'guarantee' a color match. I even got a written lifetime guarantee on the paint from one place when everybody else said they didn't exist. It just takes a little research. Worst case scenario is a custom two tone so it doesn't have to match.

I had that happen on my metalic silver truck. The paint came out darker after the repair. I made them repaint it. It looks much better now. They hope you don't notice but if you complain they'll fix it.

latest update on the bumper saga

Yes, schmaltzr that's not a stupid question because that was the first thing that I thought after I got the car home and inspected the paint job. When I took the car back to the dealer that was the very first thing that I asked.(I took the car back both the body shop manager and the painter confirmed that it was.) I was told about the 7 variances and that was the closest color to the original.
bluecoupe I tried that and here is the skinny if you or anybody else here is interested.
Well after taking the C5 to show the manager what I was talking about, the painter joined us to look at what I was talking about. With the bumper being a darker shade, the difference is not as noticeable from the front because of the way the hood catches the light & it is not so much of a problem. When you have the real difference in the 2 colors is from the side and for some reason, the side that was hit (Left) is slightly darker than the right. (The bumper is new, they showed me the old 1) The manager said that it could be blended but then it would just move the problem to a different area. I left telling the manager that I wanted to think things over before I made any decisions. The next morning I called the manager and told him that I understand that it's virtually impossible to match the paint 100%, but I feel that a closer color can be obtained that will not be such a contrast. I tell him that if the Insurance will not pay enough, that I will pay him extra $ to re-paint the bumper. I suggest that all three of us, (manager,painter & me) look over the colors and choose 1 that matches better. He tells me that he's already spent too much time talking to me about this and that he is not going to do anything else, because he feels that nothing will make me happy. He then tells me that what he will do for me is refund all the money that the insurance company gave him to paint & blend the bumper,something he has NEVER done before. (he never blended into the body) I picked up a check for $325.00 that evening. I then took the C5 to a local body shop. I explained the story to him, and when he looked at the car he saw exactly what I saw. He printed me out an estimate for $750.00. This was to take the front end apart, but not fully off and sand, blend and clear coat the paint already on the bumper. He said he would go half way up the hood and fenders and that when he was done that I wouldn't be able to see the difference. I'm calling the insurance company tomorrow and I'm letting them know about this.
Well if you made it this far, thanks for reading. If you have any thoughts or advice, I'd really appreciate it.
I've tried to search the web, but this topic is limited at best.
O yea, I'm off for 2 days and I'm checking out other body shops to see what they say also. (about blending as opposed to just re-painting the bumper)
Thanks!, Rex

You did the right thing.He should have blended in the first place but it sounds like he got lazy and didnt want to.I will say that it is difficult to blend on an upper surface so some shops may want to paint the whole front end and blend the doors.When the painter told you by blending ,you would just move the problem,he was full of ****.If you can still see a mismatch after a good blend then he doesnt need to work there.Email me if you need any more advice,I dont do collision work anymore but hate to see somebody get screwed.

"Just think, somewhere out there is the world's worst doctor. And tomorrow morning sombody's got an appointment with him!"
-George Carlin

Priceless

Cost of bodywork on 2K C5, $1350.00
Cost of actual paint (that doesn't match)
and blend work (that was not done!)
from dealer Body Shop, $325.00
cost of help from CAF members to help me get a refund back and info. on how to get a good paint job,
PRICELESS! ;)

Insurance is coming out to estimate corrective work needed.
Found a shop that caters to Vette clubs in area.
It's not going to be easy, but I will get this car looking right. (And I'll post after pictures to prove it)
My C5 before collision
Thanks<REX

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom