Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help finding color code.

potter22

Corvette
1989 Candy Apple Coupe
I cant seem to find the color code on 89 Vette. I looked in the glove boxes and the stickers that were there were no help. I also looked in the door jams.I know its a 3 digit code ending in the letter u. The bottom of my drivers door has a scrape along the edge about 3/4 of an inch where it raps around the bottom. The red paint is off and its down to the white fiberglass I assume. Do you guys recommend sanding the edge of the door or just apply the touch up paint. My car is a fire engine red so if anyone happens to know the code that would be cool. If Chevy doesnt make it anymore do you have other outlets. Thanks for all your help. :D
Any ideas. Thanks

Paint Code

On mine it is found on the inside of the cover of the rear compartment storage behind the seats. I would assume that yours is the same.

Thanks but I looked there already. I may have to try something else.

potter22 said:
I cant seem to find the color code on 89 Vette. I looked in the glove boxes and the stickers that were there were no help. I also looked in the door jams.I know its a 3 digit code ending in the letter u. The bottom of my drivers door has a scrape along the edge about 3/4 of an inch where it raps around the bottom. The red paint is off and its down to the white fiberglass I assume. Do you guys recommend sanding the edge of the door or just apply the touch up paint. My car is a fire engine red so if anyone happens to know the code that would be cool. If Chevy doesnt make it anymore do you have other outlets. Thanks for all your help. :D
Any ideas. Thanks

Are you sure it has original paint? it would be more unusual for it to have original paint than for it not to at this point. (especially considering all the clear coat problems they had on the early C4's)

Bottom line is, it may be easier to get a body shop to match the paint for you...

I must echo vettelt193 Ifound it under the center console lid of my '90. I don't know if the codes are the same for an 89 but 90 list 2 red exteriors they are Brilliant Red Metallic #68U and Bright Red #81U
I hope this helps.

One red is not necessarily the same as another. The actual colors changed a little during the 80's. Although a quick glance does not show it, a closer examination - especially with 2 cars side-by-side - reveals a difference.

You might try to go to a NAPA store or some other place which mixes paint and ask to look at and compare paint chips. The sample books will give the actual GM color code and paint name. If you find the correct color, the smallest they can mix is probably a pint. If you don't have or cannot borrow a detailing spray gun and compressor, they can sell you a small refillable spray bottle powered by CO2 cartridges. Buy some clear coat and compatible reducer (thinner) for the base and clear coats and you have plenty of extra to practice with. Sand and prime (use compatible primer) the area before final color coat.

Since it is at the bottom of the door, you might get away with just using single stage which is just color gloss only without having to use the clear coat.

Good luck, Terry

potter22 said:
Any ideas. Thanks

Ah, I actually can help you on this one, I'm creating a database for C4 owners to register their cars and I entered each code for each option for each year....

68 = Dark Red Metallic
81 = Bright Red

I hope that helped.

Keep in mind that red paint fades real bad if left out in the sun.......your best bet is to have the paint mixed or try to find a Dupli-color that is a close match....you will find this at most all Advance auto parts:upthumbs

68 and 81 are the correct color codes for the original paints for your car. Won't help much if it has been repainted, or if it is sunfaded. The codes are in my Cor-Vette Specs Book and I trust that to be correct.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom