Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Need help with electric mirror on a CE to remove the glass part

Douglas Buckner

Corvette
'82 CE, '96 GS Coupe, '99 Convertible (w-hardtop)
I was reading the post "Driver Side Sport Electric Mirror" and thought someone might be able to help me. The mirror in the housing is contacting the housing. I mean the mirror will move up and down with the joystick but it won't move in or out. It is NOT a problem with the motor in the mirror. The mirror contacts the housing and I need to know how to remove the mirror (glass reflective part) from the housing (without breaking it or the moving parts inside the housing). My guess is that it "snaps" together and that if I loop some twine behind the mirror I should be able to pull the mirror out of the housing (off of the motor system). I am afraid the mirror or some part of the actuators will break if I "pull" it apart. Yet, I "think" it comes apart like that. If I have to remove the mirror assembly (housing) from the door I'll just leave it alone. I can adjust the mirror manually to the left and right since it's on the drivers door. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Buz

Hi Buz,
i believe they are affixed to a plastic frame. Some people use a carpet knife to unstick the mirror glass from the adhesive, but then you'd have to tackle the plastic backing as well. That is stuck to a 'trunion' a 4 post cross.

Maybe someone has a picture they can link to show what i am talking about.. My shop actualy bend the outside of the mirror (the housing) to get something behind it and get to the backing. :eyerole

:w
-Stefan

Thanks for the tip...

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your advice! I'm not sure I have to remove the "glass" from the plastic backing. My hope is that I can pull that plastic backing away from the trunion and reattach the plastic base into its proper position. Your help is much appreciated and I thank you for your reply.

Buz

You really have to remove the mirror from the door, then remove the 2 screws holding the mirror head to it's base, then the the assembly comes out. Not an easy task.
Breaking the glass will give access, cover the glass with masking tape then break the glass. but make sure you have a replacement mirror glass.

Last edited:
CE Electric Mirror repair

bpassmore,

I really appreciate your feedback/input...
It seems to me that my best course of action is to leave it alone.
I'm not up to doing that much work, although I used to. I had the ability to do anything but no more.
Breaking the glass on the mirror assemble to fix this minor problem just doesn't seem right because the car is a true survivor. It's all original except for the tires and brake calipers (I still have the original ones ie - I kept the cores). I intend to keep it that way. This car came with the AM/FM/CB radio and the antenna still works. It also has the t-top carrier which back in the day most people didn't like. Oh yeah, it has the FE7 Gymkhana suspension, too. TMI.

Buz

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom