Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need honest opinion from 82 crossfire owners..my 24 year old wants to buy my car

drakevette82

Corvette
82 crossfire mint green (?)
I got this car when meccum auctio came to des moines 2 years ago. My husband and son bought it. I got it and liked it but i didnt trust it. It had electrical black tape holding wires together which got loose and left us stranded one dark night, the mechanic said," i would sell it if you dont like tinkering"...i have never tinkered. I fixed the car and drove it one summer and fall enjoying the throaty sounds of the engine and the nods i got from car guys...very fun i must admit.however, my son who is not a mechanic at all took to driving it and really wants to buy it. We paid 9,00 for it and just stuck 800 in it to stabilize the steering ..guy from car x who rebuilds cars did it, anyway...it needs a heater core and i dont know what to expect to pay...please tell me and also i feel this car would cost him a fortune to maintain.it seems like the car was driven hard and the interior is not okay. The radiio doesnt even work, but its that pretty green silver color that they only made 680 of i am told. I dont mind him having a corvette but isnt there a better year or newer model for 10,000 that would be more reliable?

Husband drives a zo6 and we used to have a c5 which seemed reliable , but both those cars were new. I would like to know what years are best on the pocketbook, but still a convertible...

The car is parked off campus or i would send a photo. Thanks for your time. I do love corvettes.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

I'm going to move your thread into the C3 Tech forum for greater exposure...

At the end of the day, it's a thirty year old car, and will have the problems of any thirty year old car. Parts wear our, wires get brittle, rubber rots, radiators/heater cores rust, and the list goes on. That said, the Vette is as reliable as any car of the day, but if you don't like to, or can't tinker with all the little issues that may come up, sell it to someone who would love to keep it on the road. If your son isn't dedicated to both driving and maintaining the car, it will soon be parked and beyond rescue. Just my 2 cents.

I agree, It is a 30 year old car with a cross fire injection system that not to many mechanics are still familiar with. It will need a lot of attention.

My suggestion if you want a corvette for $10k is to look at the late 90's C4. They are a great price right now, much more reliable and better built cars than an 82 and a lot more horsepower. Just my 2 cents.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom