Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need More Power!

3GenMuncie4

Corvette
1980 Yellow Coupe
Ok, I have a 1980 coupe w/ a Muncie. Now I know the Muncie should be able to handle plenty of power, so I want more.

I have the L-48 350ci. engine. I was thinking of getting one of those Edelbrock power packages (cam, lifters, intake, carb, heads). Anybody have any opinions or recomendations of how I can squeeze about 400 ft-lbs and 400hp out of this motor?

Ok, I have a 1980 coupe w/ a Muncie. Now I know the Muncie should be able to handle plenty of power, so I want more.

I have the L-48 350ci. engine. I was thinking of getting one of those Edelbrock power packages (cam, lifters, intake, carb, heads). Anybody have any opinions or recomendations of how I can squeeze about 400 ft-lbs and 400hp out of this motor?

Not sure I understand your question. Are you interested in squeezing more hp out of your L-48? Or are you asking about adding more hp to a crate motor?

If it's the latter, I would purchase the crate motor spec'd out with the hp/torque to meet your needs.

80' was a Borg Warner T-10 not a Muncie. Not sure what Torque they will take.

aren you sure all 1980's were T-10s? I don't know I'm just asking. And do the T-10s have the shift linkage on the outside of the case?

Anybody have any opinions or recomendations of how I can squeeze about 400 ft-lbs and 400hp out of this motor?
I want to rebuild the L-48....can't afford a crate.
..Then save your money until you can afford the crate engine with the specs you want. When you really get down to it, what you'll spend to build up the L48 to the specs of a new crate engine, it's not too terribly different. So for a few bucks more you get ALL new parts, a warranty, and a backup engine in case you blow the new one. And if you don't want to hold on to the old engine, sell it to offset the cost of the new engine.

Note, there's nothing special about the L48. So it came out of a Corvette. So what?? It's a GM 350, period. Collectors aren't now and likely may never be clamoring to find "an original L48 engine from a 1980 Corvette."

aren you sure all 1980's were T-10s? I don't know I'm just asking. And do the T-10s have the shift linkage on the outside of the case?

Yup - they used the Borg-Warner Super T-10, which was used from '75-'81 as the replacement for the Muncie; the Super T-10 has external linkage. :)

Both have the shift linkage on the outside. Below are pics of both so you can confirm what you have. Muncie has 7 bolts holding the side cover on, and BW has 9.

Borgwarner.jpg

Muncie.jpg

If you go with the Edelbrock power packages (cam, lifters, intake, carb, heads). You should be very close to 400 HP and maybe more with probably over 400 Ft-lbs Torque. But if I were you, make sure of the cost. Might run same price or close to same price for a create engine.

if you know that your Bottom engine is very good. go for it. but if you are not sure. Remember that a crate engine is completely brand new with warranty.

Thank you for correcting me then John. Another question I have then...What is the "Super T-10"?

I know there is nothing special about the L-48, I was just trying to use the correct terminology when discussing it. I don't really want to buy a crate motor simply because i want to have something that I built on my own. That is half the fun of restoring something...doing it yourself so you have something you can be proud of and have the appriciation of accomplisment. I don't want to just throw money at it and have somebody else that I don't know working on my car and not keeping me informed of its qwerks. Plus the best way to get to know any car is to work on it yourself. Thats why I wanted to know of any build ups you guys have done. Anybody can just buy a crate motor and throw it in a car, but it takes hard work and dedication to your project to build it up right and make it run correctly and still put out all the power you'll ever need, and thats what I want to do.

I don't really want to buy a crate motor simply because i want to have something that I built on my own. That is half the fun of restoring something...doing it yourself so you have something you can be proud of and have the appriciation of accomplisment....Anybody can just buy a crate motor and throw it in a car, but it takes hard work and dedication to your project to build it up right and make it run correctly
Consider buying a longblock then... ????

We don't suggest a crate engine just because it's 'easier'. You stated that you were also looking for 'inexpensive'.
'Go fast' and 'inexpensive' are typically mutually exclusive when it comes to rebuilding. We'd hate to see you put all the time and effort into rebuilding the top end of your engine only to have the bottom end not be up to the task.
If you buy a longblock you can get the best of both worlds. All new parts and the joys of building it yourself. You might even save a couple of pennies over the same shortblock since you're doing all the labor.

:upthumbs

Thank you for correcting me then John. Another question I have then...What is the "Super T-10"?

The Super T-10 was a new family of stronger transmissions introduced in 1974, different than the "original" T-10 series that was used from '57-'63. :)

:beer

I don't really want to buy a crate motor simply because i want to have something that I built on my own.

Hey, I've just did some work on my Car this winter. And that's what i did. I've upgraded my existing 350 L-48 and I'm very happy with the power I have right now.

I've installed a brand new Cam shaft from COMP CAM. it's model Extreme Energy 268. I love the sound at idle !!! Also changed the timing chain and gears, lifters, pushrods and valve springs, changed the intake for an edelbrock performer EPS and changed the Carb to an Edelbrock performer 600 CFM carburator. Also changed the points system to electronic as well. All that on Headers, true dual exaust no cat and flowmaster's 40 series mufflers.

It made a big difference. The car as alot more power. I'm close to 300 HP right now. will go on Dyno to know for sure. I would do the same on yours but maybe add some performer or performer RPM heads on your engine. I'm thinking of changing my heads for edelbrock performers. that should give me at least another 50 HP if not more.

If you want to save a bit of money. just buy the power package from Edelbrock. it's got everything you need in the kit and it will save you a bit of money.

oh an by the way. my friend as 1980 and as close to 500 HP and his vette and the tranny as no problem handling the power.

The kit can be baught at summit racing at this address:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2098&autoview=sku

Hey, I've just did some work on my Car this winter. And that's what i did. I've upgraded my existing 350 L-48 and I'm very happy with the power I have right now.

This is what I am going to do. Just want a little more torque and HP while keeping some originality. Headers, cam, intake manifold, roller rockers and lifters...:upthumbs

Purchase an LS2 crate motor and get 400 hp and 400 ft-lb, or wait for an LS3. Or opt for an LS7.....GIDDY UP!!!!!:W

... i want to have something that I built on my own. That is half the fun of restoring something...doing it yourself so you have something you can be proud of and have the appriciation of accomplisment. ... Plus the best way to get to know any car is to work on it yourself.

I LIKE this guy! I think that's absolutely the right attitude to have (not that there's anything wrong with getting a checkbook resto if you can afford it. If I had the money i wonder if would I go that route. Maybe a "poll" question for the future.)

:beer

I LIKE this guy! I think that's absolutely the right attitude to have (not that there's anything wrong with getting a checkbook resto if you can afford it. If I had the money i wonder if would I go that route. Maybe a "poll" question for the future.)
For some of us, (me!), it comes down to three things: 1)knowledge to the do the job correctly, 2)time, and 3)the tools available to do the job. If I'm missing any one of those three, the job gets farmed out. I like my car too much to let my potential incompetence get in the way of my overall enjoyment of just driving the car. :cool

Probably the wrong place to debate this, but I like to learn how to do the job. That's one reason for visiting the CAC site - lots of knowledgeable people to consult. But I do agree you have to know your limits. I know I can't paint, for example, nor do I have the equipment to do it properly, so I'll always go to a pro for that. So your point is well made.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom