Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need objective help

TAC

Corvette
1987 Yellow Callaway TT Convertible & 2003 MY Z06
I'm really close to buying a C5 but need some help. I really want a Z06 and my wife says yes but I have heard the Z06 is substantially noisier than a coupe. I won't own another vert. My current ride is quite loud and I don't relish the thought of another loud car on those long highway trips. In town it's not an issue. For those of you that have owned C5 coupes and '03 Z06, can you tell me how much louder the Z06 is than a coupe?

LOUD IS GOOD!

Z06 is LOUD!

Why no 'vert?

and why is loud out ? LOUD is what it's all about with the Z06.

I think a long trip would be much better in a coupe or 'vert than the z06.

my $0.02 cdn.

-Bill.

No vert because I do not enjoy sunshine...I burn way too easily. 15 minutes and I burn. I also can't run on the racetrack with the vert unless I add a rollbar...which I'm not going to do. I am tired of not being able to even hear my music when driving. I've gone 3 years with nothing but engine rumble. It's nice but on really long trips it gets old.

I have a '02 Z06 and enjoy the sound of a high performance car with 405 hp going through the six gears. The 350 hp standard Vette is less noisy and it also costs about $9,000 less also.
By the way--if you drive down the highway in a Z06 at 65 MPH in sixth gear, your rpm's will be so low that engine sound won't even be a consideration.

TAC,

I don't think that you would have any problems with the Z06. It is a super ride and has a great exhaust note, but it is not overpowering of your sound system. I drove my Dad's up through Georgia last month cruising at around 75-80 in 6th and we were very comfortable and had no trouble talking and listening to the radio.

If possible, test drive both but my money (if I had any) would be on the Z :Steer.

Nick

Substantially noisier? I wouldn't say so. Fractionally noisier, perhaps.

For normal driving and around town, it's not really noticeable. Under heavy throttle, of course, it gets louder. Actually, a lot of the noise, particularly on the highway, is the tires (different from the coupe/vert), not the car. That can be changed.

The car is amazingly civilized considering the level of performance involved. I don't think you'd find it objectionable. It's no noisier than most older stock vettes, including C4's.

Drive them both if you can. Alternatively, you may be able to find some noise level (dB) info in road tests or car comparison mags. Like I said, though, most of the difference is the tires.

I love all Vettes!! I have driven a ZO6, what a fabulous machine. I bought a Coupe because it gave ME the best of all worlds; keep the top on so I don't burn:) , take the top off on cloudy days or at night, still has enough power for me, can mod to increase horse power if I choose, I felt there were more "comforts" in the coupe vs. the ZO6. Either the Coupe, ZO6, or Vert you can't go wrong. Drive them and decide for yourself! Good Luck...

The Z06 is the way to go, they are incredible machines! Worst case scenario you can pick up a
Z06/FRC Trunk Divider/Partition from us @ www.corvettepartz.com Good Luck on your Vette Search!

-Separates the trunk from the back seat
-Lowers rear road noise
-Reduces AC cooling times
-Increases stereo acoustics
-Prevents objects from falling into trunk well
-Looks factory installed (in seconds)
-High quality materials for a long lasting product
-100% Satisfaction Guarantee
-Incredible value at a low price
z0602.jpg

Let me preface with this: I've never driven a C5 coupe. With that said, I agree with other members who say that at highway cruising speed, the z06 is actually fairly quiet. (The engine and exhaust don't scream unless you get on it hard.) My husband remarked how much quieter it is than my last car, an acura integra 4dr . I have also heard from many sources that the supercar tires DO contribute to the noise.
I suggest you send Rick Daniel an email. I bet he's been at cruising speeds in both and could offer an objective opinion.

I went to the NCM last september to a Z06 gathering. I never felt tired even after being in my Z06 for 10 hours!!

Unfortunately, I have spent very little time inside any C5, let alone a Z06. I was taken for a 1 minute ride down a pot-hole filled road behind a Chevrolet dealership last year in a 2003 Z06 and the salesman got on it a little bit.

Personally, I don't consider it "noisy". One's man's "noise" is another man's music and that's how I view the Z06. It's a little more loud than the C5 coupes that I've been in, but I don't think it was objectionable.

When I drive a Corvette, I want to hear that engine and exhaust. I don't want the interior to drown out that glorious sonata which makes me feel like I'm in a Cadillac.

I never, and I do mean NEVER turn the radio on in my Corvette. Let me rephrase that: the only time I turn the radio on in my Vette is when I'm washing and waxing it. Any time I drive it, the radio stays off and the revs are kept up! :D :Steer

My advice to you is to take one for a test drive at a dealership. It's difficult for anyone here to really tell you that they are or are not noisy. As I said, one man's noice is another man's music and the only way to tell if you'll really mind the sound of a Z06 is to take one for a drive and see for yourself.

I will tell you this - shortly after the plane flew into the Pentagon on 9/11, I took a ride out to the Pentagon to see the damage first hand.

As I was standing on a grassy knoll overlooking the site, I heard a low, deep growl. As I looked down, I saw a Z06 accelerating around a corner - there's nothing like it!

Same thing happened a couple days ago, I was out driving and going under an overpass, when I heard a growl coming from the other side of the road. As I looked back in my rearview mirror, it was an Electron Blue Z06 roaring off the down-ramp. Again, there's nothing like it!

Experience it for yourself. :)

I have a 01 Z and there are different noises. Motor noise no problem. Road noise on a concret highway with F 1 Super Car tires at highway speeds is a problem. GM reduced the insulation to reduce the weight. I would still rather drive the Z.

Like many have said already, "What is one man's noise is another man's music". Case in point, I really like the "growl" from the Z06 exhaust, and there is more noticeable road noise from the rear.
My wife on the other hand says the car gives her a headache when we travel more than 30 minutes in it. I chalk it up as no appreciation for the finer sounds in life LOL.
So the bottom line is you should drive both on the same day, and road surfaces to determine how you feel about it.
Oh, and don't let the Z06 performance sway your opinion on the noise issue..... try to be objective :L :L

vettepilot

Noise is good. The power is great, the handling is even better.

Just go for it.. If the wife approves? You got it made..

TAC, what kind of exhaust do you have on your current 'vette? Is it the Callaway exhaust (really loud?) From what I understand, the Callway's were loud to begin with.

On top of that, the C5 is a significantly quieter car than the C4 anyway. The combo of the quiter than Callway ZO6 exhaust and C5 quiet, you should be fine.

BTW, have you put the Callway up for sale yet???

I drove several C5 coupes before buying the Z06. I also don't like loud cars, and so I bought the partition (as described above - available from many sources) and it does eliminate a lot of road noise. Also, I think that the F1 tires are as quiet if not actually quieter than those run-flats that they put on the base car.

I drove 10.5 hours from here to Mid-Ohio, had no problem with noise, either engine, exhaust, wind or road noise, no problem hearing the radio, and had a blast driving the car on track. If you're doing track driving as you say, you can't beat the Z06. Out-of-the-box fantastic!

Michael

Here is an objective point of view - we traded our 2001 Pewter Coupe (automatic trtansmission) in two weeks ago (after enjoying it for two years) for a 2003 Z06, Torch Red. So I can honestly say I have experienced the best of both worlds. The coupe was nice, but with the targa top off the wind noise was terrible, couldn't hear the radio at all. With the top on the road/engine nosie wasn't bad at all. I can hear no appreaciable difference in the road/engine noise between the coupe and Z06 when cruising at 80 in 6th gear. However, there is a world of difference in the performance, the Z06 is amazing. If money is not an issue, go for the Z06.

z06 is my choice

After having driven many different c5 coupes....I finally went with a 01 z06 and have never regreted my decision. The extra noice and suspension stiffness is good for the soul.

The Z06 is not too loud or uncomfortable. An interior partition will eliminate a considerable amount of road noise. If the exhaust popping on deceleration is a both, a X-pipe will eliminate that and worse case if the road noise or ride are not to your liking put a milder set of tires on it.

My wife, dog and I took a 1200 mile trip to the Oregon coast with ours with no complaints from the wife or dog. You will not regret getting a Z.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom