Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need replacement oil cooler

TAC

Corvette
1987 Yellow Callaway TT Convertible & 2003 MY Z06
I replaced all the turbo lines and got my clutch fixed so I finally took the TT out on a 500 mile shakeout. Everything was fine until I got home and put it back on the lift. The oil cooler radiator looks like it has been sprayed with road oil. It literally looks covered from head to toe. However, the lines and fittings going into it look really dry. They're not leaking. It just looks like the cooler core is letting oil sweat out. Does this sound familiar for these things? I should add that none of the surrounding area is coated with oil so it didn't come off the road. Even the radiator area behind the cooler is dry. Only the cooler radiator portion is covered in oil.

Does anyone know the part # for the oil cooler and where I can get one? It sure looks like an easy fix. I took the body part off right below it and it looks like the whole unit is fixed to the body with 2 bolts. Thanks in advance.

Tim
87-092

Oil Cooler from Callaway Cars (Rev. 11/05) is shown as part# 206.42.3564, Oil Cooler. 87-89 CTTC $235,80 or, part# 206.42.3554, Oil Cooler. 87-89 CTTC $295.00

Good to know after 20 years, we can still get parts :upthumbs
I hope this helps :cool

*89x2* said:
Oil Cooler from Callaway Cars (Rev. 11/05) is shown as part# 206.42.3564, Oil Cooler. 87-89 CTTC $235,80 or, part# 206.42.3554, Oil Cooler. 87-89 CTTC $295.00

Good to know after 20 years, we can still get parts :upthumbs
I hope this helps :cool

Where did you find this? I looked on their website and didn't see it. Am I blind?

Tim

Tim, it sounds kinda weird to me that it would "sweat" oil. I don't know....maybe you could have it pressure tested kinda like a radiator, that would confirm your thoughts before you plunk down the money on a new cooler.

I don't know how much help I will be on this but... our '95 Camaro Z28 (LT1) leaks oil from the oil pressure gauge (the part on the back of the block that sends correct oil pressure readings to the gauge on the dash). It drips oil all over the oil pan. Maybe you should check that?

People tell me it's probably the manifold leaking, but it's not. It's the oil pressure sending unit... thing... (can't think of the proper name)

SurfnSun said:
Tim, it sounds kinda weird to me that it would "sweat" oil. I don't know....maybe you could have it pressure tested kinda like a radiator, that would confirm your thoughts before you plunk down the money on a new cooler.

It sounds weird to me too but in reality there's nowhere else for the oil to come from. The lines are dry and the surrounding area is dry. The cooler sticks out pretty much in front of everything else so I can't imagine the oil coming from any other place. Mike at Callaway says it sounds like the inner core started leaking.

Tim

Tim, the part #'s are from the Callaway price sheets - I can scan them for you if you need a set :cool

I agree that it does sound like the core has separated :eek

Like Surf mentioned, could you pressure test it to proove that??

*89x2* said:
Tim, the part #'s are from the Callaway price sheets - I can scan them for you if you need a set :cool

I agree that it does sound like the core has separated :eek

Like Surf mentioned, could you pressure test it to proove that??

I might do just that. One thing that I thought of is that I paid a shop to replace the lines from the oil filter adapter to the cooler and they did a good job. No more leaks. Is it possible the lines were crossed when reconnected to the cooler? Would that break the cooler core--by making the flow go in the wrong direction? If someone could tell me which fitting on the oil filter adapter gets hooked to the passenger side fitting on the oil cooler I could see if that's what happened.

Tim

*89x2* said:
...do you mean cross threaded, or transposed??

I do not see why the direction of flow through the cooler would matter - maybe something got tweaked or bent while installing the lines??

I meant transposed. I don't think theyr'e cross threaded 'cause it doesn't look like they're leaking. I wouldn't think the direction flow would matter because pressure is pressure but I'm no engineer.

Tim

BTW...one more question. I'll probably replace the cooler myself. Should I use some sealant on the threads of the Earl fitting? One guy I talked to said yes, use some teflon tape. Another said compression fitting like these don't need anything. I think I should use a pipe thread compound that stays soft like I used to use on gas pump nozzles at my station. What do you think?

Im pretty sure the compression fitting won't need any sealant. If anything I would probably use some antiseize, teflon tape will work to.

I agree on the flow direction.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom