Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some advice

gug

Corvette
1974,yellow,T-Top
I have a 74 T-Top with 62000 original miles. I have the typical 74 problem of the front and rear bumpers crystallizing. I have found some replacement bumpers at Ecklers called flex fit "stock design". They are made of fiberglass which my body guy said would be the best to work with for fit and final appearance. Has anyone purchased these Ecklers replacement bumpers ? What do you think of them? Also this vehicle has sat for about 10 years with not much run time. I just recently ran the unit on the road and it now has a miss. I took it to an engine tech who builds racing engines and he said that the rings are stuck and needs to be rebuilt. Should I rebuild to stock or increase the horsepower and satisfy my midlife crisis

...I have found some replacement bumpers at Ecklers called flex fit "stock design". They are made of fiberglass which my body guy said would be the best to work with for fit and final appearance. Has anyone purchased these Ecklers replacement bumpers?...

I have not used the Eckler's replacement bumper covers, but I agree with your body man.

...Should I rebuild to stock or increase the horsepower and satisfy my midlife crisis...

Your choice.

:thumb

I just recently ran the unit on the road and it now has a miss. I took it to an engine tech who builds racing engines and he said that the rings are stuck and needs to be rebuilt. Should I rebuild to stock or increase the horsepower and satisfy my midlife crisis

Satisfy it. The stock engine is pretty anemic. Just keep in mind that the more power and torque your engine makes will put additional stress on the rest of your powertrain, so don't build it past their limits, or be ready to upgrade those too. Good luck with it and enjoy. :)

I have the Flex Fit bumper out in the shed waiting to go to the body shop. My 1973 is presently having everything under neither it replaced.....shocks, springs, bushings, bearing and anything else it needed.

As for the engine I went with a 375 HP 350 CI from ATK as I was not happy with the truck motor that was in it.

Karsten

Satisfy it. The stock engine is pretty anemic. Just keep in mind that the more power and torque your engine makes will put additional stress on the rest of your powertrain, so don't build it past their limits, or be ready to upgrade those too. Good luck with it and enjoy. :)

I have the standard transmission in it but it has a quick shift kit. What would be the max HP. do you think I could go to ?

Flex fit bumpers are fine. I haven't found any aftermarket part for ANY car that firs perfect, so get something you can work with. My car already had one on the front when I got it, and I added one to the back to replace the shrinking urethane one it came with.

I used flex fit bumpers on my '81 10 years ago,they are still in good shape.when I had the body done on it(it was an abortion)somebody had a hit in the nose so it was no good,ans we had to cut the back off to repair some damage on the rear as well.
However, they are a "custom"fit when you put these on your vette!in other words,it have to be made to fit your vette.you just have to remember they are breakable!!! they DO NOT FLEX AT ALL!!!!
I forget where I bought them from but they all come from the same manufacturer.

I have the standard transmission in it but it has a quick shift kit. What would be the max HP. do you think I could go to ?

Depending on your transmission and it's condition I would say 300-350 SAE net horsepower and torque for a TH350 and 400-450 for a TH400, but keep in mind these are just my estimates. The actual condition of your stock drive train (transmission, drive shaft, differential, axles shafts,etc) and how the vehicle is driven will be the determining factor. It will be the actual torque of the engine (not necessarily horsepower) and available tire grip that will eventually find the weak link. I like Vettehead Mikey's 500HP, but on your age of vehicle I think you will encounter finding the weak links a lot more expensive. Good luck with it. :)

I have a 74 T-Top with 62000 original miles. I have the typical 74 problem of the front and rear bumpers crystallizing. I have found some replacement bumpers at Ecklers called flex fit "stock design". They are made of fiberglass which my body guy said would be the best to work with for fit and final appearance. Has anyone purchased these Ecklers replacement bumpers ? What do you think of them? Also this vehicle has sat for about 10 years with not much run time. I just recently ran the unit on the road and it now has a miss. I took it to an engine tech who builds racing engines and he said that the rings are stuck and needs to be rebuilt. Should I rebuild to stock or increase the horsepower and satisfy my midlife crisis

If not too late, try some Marvel Mystery Oil. Put some in your oil and let it sit a while. This is good stuff, cand be used in your gas also. You can look it up on the inter net. You can get it at Wal-mart.

I'd try some Wynn's Friction Proofing if Marvel doesn't work. It would un-stick stuck valves on our combine by introducing it straight into the intake manifold.

If not too late, try some Marvel Mystery Oil. Put some in your oil and let it sit a while. This is good stuff, cand be used in your gas also. You can look it up on the inter net. You can get it at Wal-mart.

I tried Marvel Mystery oil and it did not work. I out it in and drove the car 100 miles but it fail to solve my problem.

If you can find some Wynn's, try putting it thru an intake vacuum port slowly w/ the engine running.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom