Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some expert advice

I never did like the Pace Car but if you do and you are looking for something that will hold its value I would suggest you get something with lower miles.

I like that pace car. looks really nice. If you really like it. Well buy it. Don't buy a car for the others. Buy it for you man. Just make sure it's in really good shape and if it's worth 13,000$ to you. Well go get it.

Good luck, hope you find the right one for you, my opinion, I prefer the last one. You won't have to find some lettering. it's all on the car already.

Heavy Duty said:
Is it possible to see bonding sites like that? What do you guys think?
Very much so. Usually good proof of original paint. Noticeable on all of mine. Looks like a nice Pace Car, but with 72K miles buy it to DRIVE. A lot of low, LOW mile Pace Cars out there. That"s what the collectors want. Mike

soggytaco said:
The 1 car per dealership is 100% correct I have a number of corvette "history" books They all say this.

You guys are right. My foggy memory finally kicked in. I remember the big fuss when GM announced the increased production number of cars and all the guys who had paid way over sticker for the first batch thought they got screwed. I guess they all did since the car turned out to be a lousy investment.

It was a later year pace car that was produced in much larger than one per dealer numbers.

Good luck on the Pace Car looks like you will be saving some money :D

Maybe this from Mike Antonick's "Corvette Black Book" will clarify the production numbers ;)

Black Book said:
"Initially, these were to have two-tone silver paint with red striping, special Goodyear tires with "Corvette" sidewall letters, and a build quantity of 300 to honor the 1953 model. The special tires were eliminated and the quanitity ratcheted up several times as dealer and public interest skyrocketed. Chevrolet finally decided to build one for each dealer (about 6000) plus some extras. The final build quantity released by Chevrolet was 6,502 however, other quantities have been published."

Bud

Thanks a lot for the info guys,

There is another guy from Conn. bidding on this car as well. right now i've got the winning bid ($12,900) and my top bid will be $13,500. If it goes over that he can have it. I figure if I can get the car at $13,000 or less then it would be a good investment. After all it does have 2 special features about it. 25th Anniversary and Indy pace car. May not be worth much now but give it another 10 years or so;). By that time I'll be looking for a hotrod wheel chair:L.

On another note, there is some guy on ebay trying to sell one that has been in a flood in Fla.

If I do get this car I'll have to let my C4 go. So stay tuned.

H.D.

Heavy Duty said:
On another note, there is some guy on ebay trying to sell one that has been in a flood in Fla.
H.D.

I wouldn't buy anything that was involved in a flood. The salt water will make that frame rust in no time.

Tepot said:
I wouldn't buy anything that was involved in a flood. The salt water will make that frame rust in no time.

I'm with you on that one. It is up to $4,000 on the bid. The guy trying to sell it bought it from a guy in Fla. after it was flooded. My guess is that he didn't know what he was in for and is now trying to sell it. It would cost WAY more than what it is worth to do what would need to be done.

H.D.

Well put Tepot,

If you really like it. Well buy it. Don't buy a car for the others. Buy it for you man.

If only more people would learn to do this with about anything in life the world would probably be a better place.

Now for my 2 ¢

The first pace car being looked at here (IMHO) appears to be amiss about something

The second one as has been stated earlier has too many miles

Thirdly, I agree with others about lower mileage, there are others available on ebay etc.

Lastly, do not buy a flood damage vehicle. By the time you get the flood damaged one completely reworked you could probably have purchased a new C6

If only more people would learn to do this with about anything in life the world would probably be a better place.

Understand. However, if I can land this car for $13,500 or less than yes I'll do it. If not...oh well. I don't plan on losing any sleep over it. I know that there many people here that have way more experiance with corvettes than I do. That was the reason I'm asking these questions.

The first pace car being looked at here (IMHO) appears to be amiss about something

Agree. Either the car was re-painted or the stickers were never put on.

The second one as has been stated earlier has too many miles

71,000 is a lot of miles. But again, if it can be had at or below what I'm willing to pay then I will go-for-it.

Lastly, do not buy a flood damage vehicle. By the time you get the flood damaged one completely reworked you could probably have purchased a new C6

No worrys on that. You couldn't give me that car. My bet is that car will be parted out. If that happens then there is one less '78 remaining. Do you agree?

The bidding war is still on. right now I'm winning at $13,300.

H.D.

This comment is to be taken entirely alone from the 2 cent comments,

Well put Tepot,

Quote:
If you really like it. Well buy it. Don't buy a car for the others. Buy it for you man.

If only more people would learn to do this with everything in life the world would probably be a better place.

What I mean here is that if more people would be theirself in their actions and not try to do something just because they believe it will impress or please others.

Which is basically what Tepot's line states.

Thanks

Tepot said:
I like that pace car. looks really nice. If you really like it. Well buy it. Don't buy a car for the others. Buy it for you man. Just make sure it's in really good shape and if it's worth 13,000$ to you. Well go get it.

This is only true to a point. Just because I like a car doesn't make it worth a certain price point. I think the members here don't want him to over pay for a car. Especially since one of the reasons he wants to buy it is for an investment. If 100 shares of Microsoft stock were trading on the market for $10,000.00 would you pay $15,000.00 for it because you "liked it". I don't think so.

Pseudomind said:
This comment is to be taken entirely alone from the 2 cent comments,

What I mean here is that if more people would be theirself in their actions and not try to do something just because they believe it will impress or please others.

Which is basically what Tepot's line states.

Thanks

Pseudomind,
I gave up on trying to impress folks a long time ago. I do things/buy things based upon if it appeals to me. However, I am never afraid to ask advice from others if they are more knowledgeable about the subject than I. Thus the questions about the $$ range of these cars. I was hoping that the C3 guys would be a good source of knowledge about these cars since they are part of the C3 family. So far everyone has given me good advice.

As far as buying this particular car....we will see. Like i said, I don't think it will be a bad buy since I have looked at and if I can get it at my price. My plan (unless I get attached to it) is to do a few touch ups on this car and then re-offer it sometime during the summer. If I break even...OK. If I make a few bucks...that is ok to.

:w
H.D.

Heavy Duty said:
I figure if I can get the car at $13,000 or less then it would be a good investment. After all it does have 2 special features about it. 25th Anniversary and Indy pace car. May not be worth much now but give it another 10 years or so;).

"Corvette" and "investment" should almost never be used in the same sentence unless the word 'bad' is in the middle.

Very very very few people have made a buck on investing in Corvettes. Pace Cars are not high on the list of winners.

look at it this way, if you buy the car, and in 5yrs sell it, you will get your money back and have 5yrs of fun owning a vette. good luck

Rare81 said:
Maybe this from Mike Antonick's "Corvette Black Book" will clarify the production numbers ;)

Black Book said:
"Initially, these were to have two-tone silver paint with red striping, special Goodyear tires with "Corvette" sidewall letters, and a build quantity of 300 to honor the 1953 model. The special tires were eliminated and the quanitity ratcheted up several times as dealer and public interest skyrocketed. Chevrolet finally decided to build one for each dealer (about 6000) plus some extras. The final build quantity released by Chevrolet was 6,502 however, other quantities have been published."

Bud

Bud,

You knew I'd have to go to my archives, right? ;)

_1978PaceCar-p1.jpg

Original pre-production-paint-scheme and rear spoiler. You can see a hint of the Silver Anniversary paint scheme. ;) They intended to build 1,000 at this point.

_1978PaceCar-p2.jpg

Corvette tires.

1978CorvetteLimitedEditionPaceCar.jpg

6500 for retail sale.....two for Indy. ;)

Heavy Duty I have tried to clarify my comment and will try again, the first portion was not meant to seem as if it was being addressed to you, but to people in general. If one but looks around them, they will be surprised at the number of people they may encounter who act and react to please others, when they should put their self first, thus my comment about Tepot’s line.

As for soggytaco and his post about the investing, I had not even given your mention of an investment a thought, but what I saw from the post and going to e-bay and looking at the 78 Pace cars listed there. That is what I based my 2 cents on. While admitting I am far from being an expert, I did offer my 2 cents as the title of the thread is “Need some expert advice.”

So to simplify:

The first part was a comment in general about how some people tend go through life. It was just a general comment not directed at anyone in particular.

The second was my opinion on the car offered in the first post and the subsequent post regarding the 71,000 mile car.

Thanks and Drive on!

image.php
:BOW :BOW
image.php

What amazes me the most, it's not that you library old articles and maintain it, e.g. history, facts and information about Corvettes, it's how you can find it and post it. With such a corpus amount of information, I find that truely amazing :dance ;)

Bud

Vettehead Mikey said:
"Corvette" and "investment" should almost never be used in the same sentence unless the word 'bad' is in the middle.

Very very very few people have made a buck on investing in Corvettes. Pace Cars are not high on the list of winners.

Mikey.... true, so true.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom