Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some opinions please

Cohort

I am not a vette owner yet, but I am looking at an 1980 C3. I wanted your alls opinion and advice on what to look for when buying. Please =)

C3 Vette

Only asking because I have read your site and the discussion you have, and this forum seems to be a great place for help and learning

Thanks,
Terry

Unless you want the modifications the previous owner has made to this car, I would pass on it and keep looking.

Good reading here. Worth the price of a copy.
C3BuyersGuide.jpg

Good luck with the hunt.

:thumb

If you really want to deal with a blown engine and a 4:56 rear end all the time, this seems to be a decent car. Sure not something to travel long distance with.

If you really want to deal with a blown engine and a 4:56 rear end all the time, this seems to be a decent car. Sure not something to travel long distance with.

What do you mean Blow engine? I though larger gear ratios were better, at least they are for my Jeeps. Obviously this is a new animal for me.

I am not a vette owner yet, but I am looking at an 1980 C3.
............asking because I have read your site and the discussion you have, and this forum seems to be a great place for help and learning

Thanks,
Terry

Terry - I can't answer your questions about the C3 but I wanted to say HI! and welcome to the :CAC
And you're correct, this is an excellent place for help and learning about all things CORVETTE!! :thumb

Good luck and keep us in the loop about the C3!!
:wJane Ann

Somebody has added a blower (supercharger) to the top of the engine. Great on a drag strip, and wonderful bling for the drive in. Not sure I'd want one for a daily driver.

Normal highway/cruising gears on a Corvette are in the 3.08/3.36/3.70 range. Higher numbers mean the engine will be at correspondingly higher revs at any given vehicle speed, not to mention horrible gas mileage. 4.56 is usually drag strip only, probably what this car was built for

What do you intend to do with the car?

Mikey's right, this would not be a nice street car. If you want to drive and enjoy this isn't the car for you.

I am not a vette owner yet, but I am looking at an 1980 C3. I wanted your alls opinion and advice on what to look for when buying. Please =)

C3 Vette

Only asking because I have read your site and the discussion you have, and this forum seems to be a great place for help and learning

Thanks,
Terry

You first need to identify what your intent for use of the automobile will be. Once that is established, pursuing the correct flavor of corvette should be much easier.

Yeah I just want to drive her as a daily driver. So I will take the advice being given to me, it is why I am here.

Looking at these three now, opinions please. As well as what I should look for, listen for when I am testing these out?

Horrendous interior, cant be that difficult to switch to a camel or something

surprised why a 5.7l would only have 85max on the speedometer, not that I would drive that fast in it...on purpose :) Like that its fuel injected, though I read the transmission in this isnt that great

I'd spend 6 months learning about the cars before trying to buy one. Read all the books you can, then start looking. The book 6880 Mike suggested is excellent. It'll teach you basic stuff like why 85MPH speedos existed.

There are not many C3's which make good daily drivers. Remember...these are old cars now which translates into repairs when you least expect it! Take your time researching Corvettes, compare one generation to another, learn a lot about them. It's much better to have a pretty good idea what you're looking at before buying. There's no reason to jump into perhaps a problem, and there is always going to be a ton of Corvettes for sale!

Also, replacing an interior on a C3 (and other Corvettes) can be very pricey!

Good luck and let us know how your search is going.

Elaine

I'd spend 6 months learning about the cars before trying to buy one. Read all the books you can, then start looking. The book 6880 Mike suggested is excellent. It'll teach you basic stuff like why 85MPH speedos existed.

Yeah I already ordered the book recommended.

thank you for all of your opinions, they are greatly appreciated.

85 mph speedo was mandated by your friendly Federal Government back in the bad old 55 days. If you couldn't see how fast you were going, why speed. Didn't work and the law was dropped.

There are countless early C4's available that have very low mileage. If you are dead set on a C3, that's fine. Just thought I would throw a monkey wrench into things.

I agree with Mikey,do a couple of months of research before buying Corvette. Then make a list of things you want in a Corvette( year,color,AC,options).Go look at and try to drive as many cars as you can,be ready to walk away from those that are not 100% what you want. A C3 will make a good daily driver just make sure you get a good one.

I have an after market speedometer in my 82 :)

With new engine, tranny, new rear end, interior and everything else new on the car I think I have about 8 - 10k invested (and that is parts my husband did all the labor!) and I paid 6k for it. Having an old car is like having a child without the tax benefit :)

I have an after market speedometer in my 82 :)

With new engine, tranny, new rear end, interior and everything else new on the car I think I have about 8 - 10k invested (and that is parts my husband did all the labor!) and I paid 6k for it. Having an old car is like having a child without the tax benefit :)

Tell me about it I have an 86 Cj7 (jeep wrangler) bought it for 3k, and spent about the same amount as you in cash invested. If I sell it, I would be surprised if I got 6k for it.

I appreciate the advice guys and gals. Definitely given me a lot to consider.

Like others have said. Take your time in finding the right Corvette for you. There are lots of them out there. At this time, have you sat/ridden/ or driven any C3 Corvettes? Are there certain options you are looking for?
If at all possible, when you are serious about purchasing the one for you, take someone with some experience to look over the car with you. Ultimately, the choice is yours.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom