Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

never liked the C4 all that much, so what happened to me?

C

corvetteDan

Nope, when the C4s came out they lost me. The lines I said were too boring. No sexy curves, no class, just too simple. I had a few older vettes in my time, 1958 (x2) and a 1965 roadster. (in the 70’s and 90’s). In my books the true vette was in and around the years of 1957 - 1968. The 70’s never looked right to me either. Later the C5s looked better, and for the record I am one that likes the C5 more than the C6. I had a number of cars along the way, even some AC Cobra remakes (Superformance , Shelby) etc. Loved em, but something was missing… them being a true 100% old car and not a remake… sold em. Bought and played with a few 60’s muscle cars, Camaro, GTO, etc. The sold them too. ( profits on all).

Then a few years ago when searching for another car to play with a friend of mine found a 1988 C4 roadster. It was nothing special, but had a neat 4 +3 stick. And to boot it was a one owner with 26,000 miles. I bought it for less than I thought possible and started replacing this and that. The engine while had few miles on it had been sitting. We replaced the fuel filters, changed out all the service fluid ( engine oit, trans ( and filter) rear end, cooling, breaks etc. Popped the fuel injectors out and made sure they were not gummed up. Placed a KN filter on the car, and installed a new exhaust system. Along the way I bought some new tires, rims (always liked the Z06 look). Replaced the weather stripping, and replaced the aging vinyl top with a new black cloth top. The radio was a mess and I replaced it with a nice AM FM CD combination. Planned soon is a new clutch, aluminum flywheel, a chip, and a ram air from Mid America.

Somehow along the way the car started to grow on me. I noticed one day that the lines of the car were not all that bad, and in fact were rather sexy with the top down. The darn thing runs like hell ( I don’t know why but I can often pull ahead of a C5 to the wonder of my buddies that own them). ( perhaps this is due to the 4+3 and keeping it in low range in town from stop light to stop light. ) The car as thus far been extremely reliable. I’ve taken long trips in it, joined a local vette club, taken her on the local road racing course. Taken short day trips now and then down local winding roads for "therapy". Oh, some day I’ll sell it. But for the time being you would have a hell of a time prying the car from my grasp.

So, what is it then about a C4? Could it be the simple lines, the reliable, steadfast the way the car can be a daily driver and at the same time a graceful track beast! I’ve come to love the car. True, I may buy a used C5 in the future, ( the C6 will take years to grow on me), I’ve toyed with buying a used Viper, but for the time being I simply don’t need a newer C5, C6, or a Viper. While I can afford them I simply see no need to buy one as I have the same level of fun fixing an older car and seeing just how nice I can make it. In fact it’s rather nice to invest time and money on an older car and make it as good or in some cases even better than new.

I think perhaps in many ways the C4 was ahead of its time. Perhaps it is just now coming into its own…. As I drive the car here and there I often get looks and a nod from what I suppose are car crazies, or perhaps people that just like to see a middle aged man in a convertible with top down on a sunny day and a smile on his face. Personally I think the used C4 are perhaps the best fun per dollar spent that can be had today. They are fast enough, handle like a race car if a little care is taken in the set up, and from what I can tell can take some harsh driving, gear jamming, and high revs with the best of them.

Hats off to you guys that caught the C4 bug sooner than I did. But as you can see, I am a late bloomer where vettes are concerned……….

corvetteDan said:
The darn thing runs like hell ( I don’t know why but I can often pull ahead of a C5 ...
It's the L-98's bottom end torque; the LT-1, LT-4, and all the C5's engines don't come on until they get in the upper rpm range, whereas the L-98 is out of breath at around 4500-4800 rpm.

:BOW

Not so loud everybody will be driving one.

The C4 also makes a great entry for the first-timer to the Corvette world; it's by far the most easily affordable of all the generations.

We Rule. :_rock

Thanks for the short story CorvetteDan.

I think perhaps in many ways the C4 was ahead of its time. Perhaps it is just now coming into its own…. As I drive the car here and there I often get looks and a nod from what I suppose are car crazies, or perhaps people that just like to see a middle aged man in a convertible with top down on a sunny day and a smile on his face. Personally I think the used C4 are perhaps the best fun per dollar spent that can be had today. They are fast enough, handle like a race car if a little care is taken in the set up, and from what I can tell can take some harsh driving, gear jamming, and high revs with the best of them.

Hats off to you guys that caught the C4 bug sooner than I did. But as you can see, I am a late bloomer where vettes are concerned……….[/QUOTE]When you wrote this articale, It was as tho you were writting about me....:_rock .And guess what I drive now.....;)

corvetteDan said:
Hats off to you guys that caught the C4 bug sooner than I did. But as you can see, I am a late bloomer where vettes are concerned……….

Better late then never....welcome to the fold. :) I too like the c-5's and 6's. That said however if you offered me a Z-06 or a nice ZR-1?...........I'll take the ZR-1. There's just something about the C4 that screams "DRIVE ME"

Len:w

i too like my c5 but if i had to pick one it would be my c4. it seems to have more road feel its just fun to drive.plus it is my first vette. every body has different tastes. one day i would like to try on a 70s c3.

jeff

jrbartholomew said:
one day i would like to try on a 70s c3.

jeff

If I could turn back time, I'd have kept mt 71 Ontario orange 454 coupe. The chrome bumpers are timeless.... Oh to be young and stupid.....;LOL

I Agree - C4's are Sweet Rides!

I really enjoyed my LT4. :upthumbs

1996YouWantSomeofThis.jpg

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I agree, when the C4 first seen the light of day, I didn't like it as much as I do now, but that is how classic designs usually go.

Also remember that the F-bodies of that time had the same "aero" design influences. It was the first time GM used function over form in the design process.

Anyway, I have a good hunch that C4s will start appreciating in value sooner than most people suspect. :)

I have had three new C4s. 92, 94, 96. The 92 was the first new car I owned. It took me to the ripe old age of 38 to buy a new car! Never saw the need for one before that. I just really feel that the C4 is one heck of a kicka** car! Don't get me wrong. I love and respect all the vettes out there. And their owners! But there is something about the C4 that calls to me. Dan, that engine of yours has a tremendous amount of torque. And by doing the mods you have done, you have really opened that baby up. I can really relate to your story.
Save the Wave!

I have had several Vettes......I liked the C-4 with the L-98 torque monster but I always went back to the C-3's...I like the style of the C=3 and everyone I see likes the C-3 also...that is the look of a Vette. ; I like the C-4's but the C-3's and C-2's are the back bone of the Vette world....I think they have the best looking lines.....C-5's don't look so bad.....Just got to get use to them....

The plan was to wait until I could afford a C5. I had rented a Z06 for a day a couple of years ago and was hooked. Last fall I started to notice that the C4s were half the price of the C5s. Bought my 89 in December. SO much machine for the money!

As many have said over the years "Jerry Palmer" ( the designer ) got it right... The C4 started with a clean sheet... and cleaned up a little more over the years... I am on my 5th & 6th C4s... Started with a 84 4+3... 88 35th... 2 - 1990 ZR-1s... currently a 1991 ZR-1 and a 89 6 speed coupe... don't really see a good reason to step up to a C5 or C6... unless large funds fall into my lap... Those newer vettes are good cars... but I am stuck on the 4th generation for now... BTW.... IMHO... A nice C4 I would love to have would be a 35th Anniversay TT Callaway... white 5 spokes with tinted windows... I hear they only made 2 of em... that is / was not enough... Maybe it is time for a clone ?

C4 is best bang for the buck folks... I paid a price in Turkey much higher than what you would have in the US. I have owned it for the last 18 months or so and it still excites me when I approach this baby. It is darn sexy... It has all the curves and style a sports car should have. The back end is a bit dull, coud have been designed a bit heavier looking. But hey, let's not underestimate our C4's. They are sexy, they are powerful, they are attractive... I love my Corvette and I am proud of owning it.

Cheers :w

Selim

The C4's design is 'timeless', 100 years from now, it will still look good.

And I agree with you, its fun to have an older car, its my hobby working on my C4.

I grew up with the chrome bumpered C3's and I'm still in love with 'em. By the time I bought my C4 I couldn't afford the C3 I wanted.

On the other hand I've driven a few C3's and none of them would keep up with me on a twisty road. I've learned to really love C4's

If I was offered a 1990 ZR-1 or a 1972 LT1 it would be a tough choice.
Unfortunately I have a better chance at a 12-way with the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit girls :D

I to didn't like the c4 when they first came out. I thought it looked to much like the 1982 Firebird. But GM continually improve it and it got my attention. I dont think I will sell my C3, but I do use it alot less since I got the C4Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom