Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport New 2012 Seats

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

KP99

Corvette
2012 SuperSonic Blue GS
Have a 2010 GS Coupe and thinking on trading for a new 2012 GS Coupe.
Anyone out there have a new 2012 with the new seats and how are they in comparison?

As far as the seat design, 08 and 10 are the same so if the 12 seat is an improvement over the 08, it'll be better than a 10 by the same amount.

So far the mainstream road test books say the 12 seat is better but still not as good a seat as the car deserves.

I've ordered a 12 and I guess I'll find out if they're right when I get the car this coming April.

As far as the seat design, 08 and 10 are the same so if the 12 seat is an improvement over the 08, it'll be better than a 10 by the same amount.

So far the mainstream road test books say the 12 seat is better but still not as good a seat as the car deserves.

I've ordered a 12 and I guess I'll find out if they're right when I get the car this coming April.

Hib,
What did you order? I've been lurking around at various forums and see your comments occasionally, so as a 2010 GS owner I'm interested in what you are ordering in the 2012 year... Al

By far better seat. I own a 2008 coupe (see my garage ) and just bought a new 2012 centennial gs.... And i like the seat quality much better. I wish they would have done a dash upgrade..... But I am not sure if the centennial gs seats are different from other 2012. I know i wouldn't but a new car for the seat... I would buy a new seat for my current car.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

This is my first vette so i can't speak on it, but current owners who have sat in the passenger side have mentioned the seats are more padded and comfortable than their current one. C6 owners across the board.

The 2012 Grand Sport seat are way more comfortable than my 2007 Z06. The Z was OK, but the new seats are a big improvement.

By "2012 GS seat", are we referring to the standard 2012 GS seat or the optional 2012 GS Sport Seat? I mean, if the new standard seat is now acceptable, then I won't have to order a 3LT package with a lot of stuff that I don't want just to get the upgraded Sport Seats...

By "2012 GS seat", are we referring to the standard 2012 GS seat or the optional 2012 GS Sport Seat? I mean, if the new standard seat is now acceptable, then I won't have to order a 3LT package with a lot of stuff that I don't want just to get the upgraded Sport Seats...
I was referring to the 3LT sport seat seat package.

Seats

View attachment 9693Just traded my 2011 GS/w 3LT for 2013 GS/w 3LT. I can tell you that the new design is soooo much more comfortable it is unreal. Much better seat buttom and much more lateral support in the shoulder area.

Hib,
What did you order? I've been lurking around at various forums and see your comments occasionally, so as a 2010 GS owner I'm interested in what you are ordering in the 2012 year... Al

Wow. I haven't been back to this thread in a while. Sorry 'bout that.

I ordered a 12 Z06 and took delivery in April.

I'd say the '12 seats are a noticeable improvement over the 05-11 C6 seat. Are they the substantial improvement in seating a car with the handing ability of the Z06 reall needs? No. I think they fall a little short of that, but then, as we all know, many people buy a Z06 and never drive it close to the limit and, thus, would never need really supportive seating. The one thing about seating appropriate for very aggressive street driving or racing is that it's not always comfortable/convenient for every day or long trip driving.

Most of the driving I've done with our new '12 has been long-distance, highway cruising and, in that duty cycle, the '12 seats are really nice.

Wow. I haven't been back to this thread in a while. Sorry 'bout that.

I ordered a 12 Z06 and took delivery in April.

I'd say the '12 seats are a noticeable improvement over the 05-11 C6 seat. Are they the substantial improvement in seating a car with the handing ability of the Z06 reall needs? No. I think they fall a little short of that, but then, as we all know, many people buy a Z06 and never drive it close to the limit and, thus, would never need really supportive seating. The one thing about seating appropriate for very aggressive street driving or racing is that it's not always comfortable/convenient for every day or long trip driving.

Most of the driving I've done with our new '12 has been long-distance, highway cruising and, in that duty cycle, the '12 seats are really nice.

Hi, Hib. I recognized your name from the GSR. Nice to see you here, too. Your final comment here about the new seats and road vs track use is quite valuable to me as I no longer track my cars, but still want really nice seats in the '13 GS convertible that I'm thinking of ordering. My only problem now is that if I want those seats (I do) I still have to order the 3LT package, which is a ton of extra money for a bunch of stuff that I actively do not want. I'd almost pay money to not have anything in that package (especially the power top), excepting the seats. I'm bummed enough about this that I may actually not order a car at all. Considering the dismal sales numbers for the Corvette right now, I think they should've conducted a "nothing-to-lose", one-year experiment with the final C6s just to see what would happen: they should've eliminated the packages altogether and gone with individual options instead. It seems to work for MINI...each individual owner gets exactly the car they want without having to pay for options that they don't want. It would cost GM a bit more to do it that way, but they are already trying to individualize the cars more right now (calipers, stitching, stripes, etc.) anyway, so they'd just be extending that effort. The worst that could come of it is that they would know, once and for all, which options were the most important to which types of buyers. Then, if they ever wanted to go back to "packages" they'd have a better idea of which options to lump together. I know they probably believe they've got that nailed down already, and maybe they do. I can only speak for myself, but to me, the current packages...all the current packages, contain things that I really don't want, and I resent having to pay for things that I don't want. Am I the Lone Ranger in this?

I agree with your thoughts on ordering only what you want.
I only used the paddle shifts on my Grand Sport to see how they worked and then were done with them.
It would be like only paying for the channels you watch on cable - maybe 12 or so - certainly not 150. :w

Maybe I'm a little confused on these new seats. GM told me before I ordered my '12 that all cars get the new seat design. Now, it could be what they meant is revised padding and bolsters for all cars, but only 3LT or better gets special colors or upholstery over that revised padding and whatever. In any event, the seats in my '12 are clearly better than the one in my pal's '08.

As for option packages....I hate 'em, but Chevrolet marketing weenies and dealers love 'em because that way GM can sell you stuff you don't necessarily want.

I ordered our car 1LT, but I would have liked the memory package, however, to get it, I'd have to order heated seats, an expensive sound system and that crappy navigation system, so I live without. Other than the memory package, 1LT gives me most everything I want. I spent the money a lot of other people spend on navi, leather and so forth on a B92 CF hood. Even the base sound system is pretty darn good these days and I'm sorta particular about the sound 'cause when I want to blast Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars, (lately) Florence and the Machine, Sully Erna (Rob's favorite) or Taylor Swift (yes...Taylor Swift! Hey, I have eclectic tastes, ok.), I want it to sound good.

...It would be like only paying for the channels you watch on cable - maybe 12 or so - certainly not 150. :w

That's another perfect example of what I'm talking about. I'm paying for something like 600 channels, yet I'm only enjoying maybe two dozen of them. And even though we're all digital now and it wouldn't be any more trouble for them, the Cable lobby wrote all the laws/regulations so that we can't have ala-carte service/pricing. Free market, indeed...

Maybe I'm a little confused on these new seats. GM told me before I ordered my '12 that all cars get the new seat design. Now, it could be what they meant is revised padding and bolsters for all cars, but only 3LT or better gets special colors or upholstery over that revised padding and whatever. In any event, the seats in my '12 are clearly better than the one in my pal's '08.

As for option packages....I hate 'em, but Chevrolet marketing weenies and dealers love 'em because that way GM can sell you stuff you don't necessarily want.

I ordered our car 1LT, but I would have liked the memory package, however, to get it, I'd have to order heated seats, an expensive sound system and that crappy navigation system, so I live without. Other than the memory package, 1LT gives me most everything I want. I spent the money a lot of other people spend on navi, leather and so forth on a B92 CF hood. Even the base sound system is pretty darn good these days and I'm sorta particular about the sound 'cause when I want to blast Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars, (lately) Florence and the Machine, Sully Erna (Rob's favorite) or Taylor Swift (yes...Taylor Swift! Hey, I have eclectic tastes, ok.), I want it to sound good.

Boy, it sure would be nice if all the new seats were the same except for upholstery, etc. I could still order a 1LT or 2LT convertible and be very happy with it. From what I understand, the manual top is a piece of cake. I'm afraid of the power top, as the one guy I know with a late-model convertible has had real grief with his. It often refuses to raise when he needs it to, which is obviously the worst possible scenario.

Regarding the sound system, I too like a flat-response, full-range system. I'm not one of those "windows bulging with bass at the stoplight" kind of guys, but if there are notes present in the music then I want them reproduced reasonably accurately...from low bass to high treble. If the standard system will do that, then I could also save some money on a 1LT and put it toward a "future mods" fund...

Hib, is the "B92 CF hood" that you're referring to the factory-optional hood that's available on the Z06, or is it an aftermarket item? If it's the factory hood, is it styled the same as the standard Z06 hood, or does it look different somehow?

(snip)
Boy, it sure would be nice if all the new seats were the same except for upholstery, etc. I could still order a 1LT or 2LT convertible and be very happy with it. From what I understand, the manual top is a piece of cake. I'm afraid of the power top, as the one guy I know with a late-model convertible has had real grief with his. It often refuses to raise when he needs it to, which is obviously the worst possible scenario.

I can't speak to the top issues as I'm not a convertible owner. So much skin cancer in my family makes 'verts pretty risky.

Regarding the sound system, I too like a flat-response, full-range system. I'm not one of those "windows bulging with bass at the stoplight" kind of guys, but if there are notes present in the music then I want them reproduced reasonably accurately...from low bass to high treble. If the standard system will do that, then I could also save some money on a 1LT and put it toward a "future mods" fund...
The march of technology keeps a consistent cadence. Twenty years ago, if you wanted good sound, that meant aftermarket. Today, I think the level of sound quality from OE stereos, while not "car audiophile" quality, they are certainly good enough to make most Corvette owners happy. After listening to both the "new" uplevel stereo and the unit in a 2012 base coupe, I decided that would be adequate for 95% of the time I use it.

Hib, is the "B92 CF hood" that you're referring to the factory-optional hood that's available on the Z06, or is it an aftermarket item? If it's the factory hood, is it styled the same as the standard Z06 hood, or does it look different somehow?

B92 is the CF hood which is optional on Z06. I believe it's the ZR1 hood without the window, ie: it's a little higher than a standard C6 hood.

2012 GS Coupe 4LT

Have a 2010 GS Coupe and thinking on trading for a new 2012 GS Coupe.
Anyone out there have a new 2012 with the new seats and how are they in comparison?

My 2012 GS coupe 4LT has the new seats and they came with microfiber inserts instead of leather. They are trimmed on the outside with leather. Since this is my first vette, so I cannot compare with older ones. I can compare with my other cars. They are MUCH better than the ones in my Acura RSX and my wife's Hyundai Tuscon. I am very comfortable in my vette and know that if I had to take her on a long trip, I would not be in traction at the end. Uninspired writers in auto magazines and blogs have been dumping on the corvette interior for years and I can understand why. For the money, you should get more. Maybe the C7 will offer that, but I was not willing to wait and I am not sorry.

I have seen the seats described as having rolled up newspaper under the upholstery. Where these guys get this is beyond me. The new seats are great and will only improve with future models. I would LOVE to see parking assist for the front and a backup camera for the back. Those are my gripes but I live with this every day and will continue to do so since I think the car is sooooo cool to drive.

I have an 07 4LT vert with the z51 package. The seats are ok at best. Drive from Mass to NJ this weekend and that's about all the seats will allow. Might put newer seats on the list but going to do a wide body on my MR car first.

I am a bit late on this one. Bought my 2011 GS Convertible and have no issue with the seats. I must be the only one. We loved the museum delivery and not only drove the car to MD, but since drove MD to Key West, Fla and back. I understand the '12 seats are an improvement and they can still be improved on to come up to the quality this beauty deserves, but my honey and I love our car and have no issue driving it on long trips. If I never switch the seats out we will be 100% satisfied with this ride.

I do not hate the seats in my 3LT 10 GS......and I too scoffed at the heated seats until my wife purred from the passenger side on a recent cold fall night...mmmmm, I just looooove these heated seats........hmmmm..uh yeah me too.....:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom