Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New driver in the household. How much did your insurance go up?

The insurance company does hold 'em against the non -fault driver as well. Not fair but they do.

Do you actually think I contacted MY insurance agency? I learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago!!! I know it says you are supposed to, even when it's not your fault, but unless the other driver is uninsured there is no way I am going to even hint that something happened.

BTW I hope there are no insurance agents present. ;)

Signed,
Pinky - Not My Real Name And Maybe I Don't Live In Nevada Either

insurance

This is from a while back [90's], but when my daughter was at UC-Davis and had her own car out there in California it cost me $100 a month roughly for her on our policy with USAA. However, when my son was at the University of Houston, he got rated on the location by county where the vehicle was garaged [in his case pretty much downtown]. He cost me $200 a month while in college. Neither had any tickets or anything before they got to college though. I think a lot will depend on where the vehicle is garaged, and of course under 21 boys cost more, probably without exception. My advice would be to list the boy as a driver only on one vehicle, something like a Toyota and definitely not on a Vette.

3 years ago when we added our daughter, the policy went up $600.00. That includes the good student discount, drivers ed and behind the wheel training. And thats in New Jersey too!!! Then, a year later I got my vette as a pleasure car and the insurance went up $1200.00!!!! Go figure.

Talk to me next year when we add our son!!!!! :W

Looks like a person can pretty much count on a least a couple $100 monthy for having a noobie on the road for a regular car and up to $ungodly for a corvette.

He obviously will not be on the car as a driver and will be setting him up with his own ride. This will be very interesting........

Although I don't have children Driving yet, I would highly suggest any one young drivers in the home to insist they get there own policy if they have there own car.

The reason being statistically a young driver is at more risk of having an auto accident. Depending on what your personal assets are I think the added layer of you not being associated Thu insurance is an added security to protect your personal assets

Understand your policy limits. The folks who are driving around with the state minimum limits are putting all of there assets on the line. Speak to your agent

Lastly your actually doing the child a favor by insisting they have there own policy. We had a fellow who was on the parents policy till he was 26 he purchased a new truck and his insurance payment was higher then his truck payment because he was put in assigned risk because it was his first payment.

Now I love my kids the much as the next but I am not willing to put all of my assets on the line in order for them to have inexpensive insurance.

Well said. Protecting your personal assets is much more important. My son(now 20) is on a seperate policy for that very reason. If your child is involved in an accident(other than being hit from the rear or at a stand still) he will be assigned a percentage of liability. You could be sued!!!! And trust me ....depending on the circumstances, you will!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom