Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New engine, no start

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
OK, finished replacing the 305 that somebody stuck im 86 coupe with an early 80's 350 4 bolt main that has been bored (.060), honed, decked and heads with new valves, seats, seals, guides, new cam (Lunati), cam bearings, new crank..yada yada yada. New chip in the ECM, long tube headers, eliminated egr and AIR plumbing. Turning it over and all I get is backfiring, burping and farting (sounds like the mens club on chili night). Thought might have been 180 out on the timing, so redid that and it turns over nice, but with out any farting and such. Scratchin' my head now on where to start. :ugh ;shrug. Any direction or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Basics........

Sometimes we get a little ahead of ourselves, especially with a major project. I've learned from banging my head against the wall, back to basics, check everything from step one 100%. Cam timing to the crank, initial valve settings etc. I've seen brand new engines internally bent up by a wrong setting. Let us know what you find, or don't.

Got to go back too basics.
Have you got fuel pressure at rail?
Are plugs wet.
Have you got spark at plugs now .( if it was coughing you must have had it then)

Tell us how you determined the timing is correct. Also, to what timing is the engine set prior to starting.

Is the camshaft properly indexed?

Are the plug wires connected in the right order?

I got fuel at the rail, will check pressure today. When the valve at the rail is depressed, fuel comes out, but not forcefully, just flows out. Did the timing by bringing number 1 cylinder to tdc, while watching number 6 valves just start to rock, then brought it ccw about six degrees to the approximate static timing location. Cam was properly indexed. ;help

I've always removed #1 spark plug and either w/remote starter switch connected OR have someone bump the starter/engine over a little at a time and when I feel pressure/compression on cylinder #1----I manually move the balancer/crankshaft to point at 0 degrees/TDC. At this point you should be able to drop in the distrutor w/rotor pointing close to #1 on dist. cap--snugging the dist. down enough where i can still move and have someone crank the engine while I move the distributor a little clockwise or counter clockwise to a point where it starts and runs---that is if the problem is ignition timing.

If that doesn't do then I'd guess cam timing is not correct OR the valves are to tight-- that's assuming the firing order is correct---As far as fuel pressure connect a gauge to it and see what you have while cranking. As someone else said sounds like you have spark because of the coughing/farting it was doing.

Put a pressure guage on the fuel rail, turned the key and it went up to 10psi, then dropped back to zero...tried it several times with the same result. pulled the supply line off, attached a hose on it then ran the hose into a container, turned the key on, got very little gas into the container, then none.

Put a pressure guage on the fuel rail, turned the key and it went up to 10psi, then dropped back to zero...tried it several times with the same result. pulled the supply line off, attached a hose on it then ran the hose into a container, turned the key on, got very little gas into the container, then none.
You have a bad pump,a 86 should run up to 34-39 lbs!:thumb:thumb:thumb

OK, pulled out the fuel pump...doesnt look like the picture in the FSM! No pulsator! A capacitor of some type, with a lead out of each end, going to nothing! What does the pulsator do?

While a fuel pressure test and pump inspection are a good idea, I'm not convinced this problem is lack of fuel. If it were, with a new engine and a dry system, you would have the backfire, burb and fart.

My gut feeling is that you've got an ignition timing problem.

I'd verify TDC with the postitive stop method. Verify the timing mark and index are correct then static time the engine for 15 deg adv. in order to get it to start easily. Once it's running you can back it off to 6-8.

OK, pulled out the fuel pump...doesnt look like the picture in the FSM! No pulsator! A capacitor of some type, with a lead out of each end, going to nothing! What does the pulsator do?

The pulsator was a sort of dampner---the idea was to make the pump quieter---many people remove them--that's likely what happened in your case---the fact that you don't have one is not your problem.

Replaced the fuel pump today, retested and had almost 40 at the rail, verified the plug wires were in the right order, turned the key...and PRESTO!!!!!! She fired up and ran great!!!!!!! Did thew whole cam break in period, shut down, looked for leaks...NONE!
Thank You Hib and vetteoz, twister and rowdy amd GMjunkie! Real men of genius at the Corvette Action Center!!! I hope to post a short video of her running by tomorrow!
Thanks again everybody!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom