Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New exhaust! Woohoo!

MaineShark

Corvette
1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National
Mid-American 2 1/2" stainless steel true dual exhaust.

Dynomax Ultra-Flo stainless mufflers.

Very nice sound.

My previous exhaust had numerous holes in one of the mufflers, so the volume level is about the same, but the new system has a much nicer sound.

I'm pleased :)

Joe

Congrats MaineShark,:upthumbs did you notice anything different about your performance? How about your Torque? I am planning on buying an exhaust for my shark, and was thinking of buying something simular. I was going to buy my exhaust system complete with headers from Summit. Why 2 1/2 piping...just curious.
Louie:w

Sounds good, Joe. No pun intended:D.

:w
Guy - In the winter we work on them.

Congrats, MaineShark. I'm sure it sounds great. ;)

Did any of you guys ever think about going to side exaust? I think I might in the future do that to a Vette. What would be involved though to do this on a Vette with normal tail-pipe exaust? Any big mods you think?

TR

Most small-block combinations do not require exhaust any bigger than 2 1/2", in fact that's what most magazines recommend for most small-block projects that they build. Any bigger, and you usually end up sacrificing low-end torque for some horsepower at the top of the rpm range, where most people don't need it anyway. Similarly, you can go too big on your header tube primary size. I used headers with 1 5/8" primary tubes on my LT-1, to help maitain low and mid-range torque. My dad uses Hooker sidepipes with 1 7/8" primary tubes on his 70 automatic (L-79 cam, 10.25:1, LT--1 intake, Holley carb) and even with a 3.55 gear and short tires, it's a dog off the line.

Shark Chief: the system was available in either 2" or 2 1/2", so I went with the 2 1/2", since I think 2" is a bit small. I would have preferred 2 1/4", but that was not available.

Stallion: you ave to replace the exhaust manifolds with special headers which wrap under the side of the car, and back up. You also need to add the side exhaust pipes, themselves, and the covers and mufflers.

Joe

MaineShark, I'm planning on the same setup this spring...question, did they supply the hangers for the drivers side and are the pass. side hangers in the right spots?

You know, I honestly can't remember exactly what was included. I didn't have the time to install it myself, so I just handed the box to my mechanic and let him do it. It didn't require any additional parts, though, so everything was either re-used or included.

Joe

Thanks maine, I'll give them a call. Last question LOL...where do the 2 pipes join, is it after the xmember (towards the rear) and iof so, about how far past the xmember. Reason I'm asking, if I have to take the pipes out to do work, I would like to have a shop make flanges with bolts so they come apart ez.

Maineshark,
Who makes those headers? I want to put the factory style side exhaust on my car.

mvftw, I'll try and measure it next time I have the car in the air. It is well after the crossmember.

rebuild 68, a number of companies make them. Off the top of my head, I know that Hooker is one of them. I believe theirs are the sidemount headers listed in Eckler's.

Joe

Glad to hear everything worked out for you,Joe. I am sure you'll be happy with that set up.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom