Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Guy in New York

T

trespasser8

:w Hello from new C5 owner: Had a C3 & C4, just got a 2000....fassst!!!! Seller installed new non run flats so of course I had a flat. Lucky I have a phone & AAA! Now have jack/etc. in rear storage. How fast dare I go on a plugged tire? I don't think there is such a thing as a C5 spare?? A 2000 repair manual also seems hard to find! Any advice?? Glad to be onboard!:L
Thanks,
Chet

Congrats and welcome to the CAC. It depends on where the plug is in the tire as to how much you want to trust it. A bunch of folks use the GTO spare with their non runflats or most just get a plug kit, a small compressor that you can plug into you lighter and go! As far as getting a manual they're still sold new or try C5 Parts for sale or E-Bay for a used set!:w

Thanks jrose7004, I have the plug kit & compressor. The plug is right in the center
so I guess I'm good to go. I will have to get used to no spare!

:welcome

Glad you joined us Chet.
After Hurricane Katrina we had so much debris being transported to dumping areas that I had a standing appointment with a local tire repair shop.;) :chuckle I had two tires with one plug in them and two tires with two plugs... and I drove on them for nearly 6 or 8 months until the major amount of debris had been moved. It was risky but there was no way I wanted to put new tires on my Cinnamon Girl until the likelihood of nails and screws on the roads decreased.

:wJane Ann

Thanks Jane Ann! Cinnamon Girl is A beauty!

:welcomewelcome to CAC!!!!
enjoy!!!!!

Hi Chet,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!! We're happy to have you here.

People with Corvettes wearing runflats end up having to make decisions as to whether to replace the original runflat tires with more runflats or go with non-runflats. My husband's '02 reached that point last summer, and we chose to buy Michelin Pilot Sports (runflats). We wanted that little bit of security that the runflats bring, and the Michelins are great tires...good handling, much more quiet than the old GYs, and less expensive.

Sounds like others have given you good advice about plugged tires. Now, get out and enjoy that 2000!!!

Elaine

if you take the tire somewhere wont they pull it from the rim and put an actual patch on it from the inside that will last longer? i may be wrong about this but it would seem safer and better in the long run to me.

also has anyone had any expierience with the green slime after having to use it for a flat, was wondering how much of a pain in the ass it was for the tire shop when they replace the tire

Thanks hotshotzny, that is what the tire store did!!!

Welcome to the C.A.C.
I'm right around the corner in sunny Cheektowaga so hope to see you on the road. Don't forget to WAVE!!!!:beer:w

Thanks Booie, my son lives in Cheektowaga, I'll keep an eye out!

Welcome to CORVETTE ACTION CENTER trespasser8 glad you've joined us. As far as the parts/service manual for your 2000 they are available on line somewhere you can bank on that! What about having your tire broken down and patched from the inside, is that an option? Runflats are rough riding and more road noise from them esspecially on concrete but I've got to have them; without a spare there is not a lot of options in my book ;shrug I've said it beofore and I'll say it again; I can live with the noise and the rougher ride for the added security of runflats :thumb

Bill :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom