Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Guy

a65l

Corvette
1995 Torch Red Z07 Coupe
Subject says it all. I've had a 'vette bug for years, almost bought an '89 a bunch of years ago but things just didn't work out. I've been a lifelong car fan, and I've always had a performance oriented car.
I was sitting in my van at a light, and heard someone blowing around a corner in a new GTO. I wound up driving a couple, but on my way to a lot I saw a bright red hood on another lot, belonging to a red '89 coupe. I stopped and looked at it, but too many issues and the price was a little too high. But the hook was set, so back home that night I did a little research on the internet and came up with a nice '95 6spd targa coupe about 100 miles away. I drove up the next day and after some talking and looking I stroked a check and drove it home. Not knowing RPO codes, I thought I had bought a standard coupe with the Z51 adjustable suspension but after some time on the phone with a buddy of mine, turns out I had found a Z07 car. It's got the wrong size tires on it, but the door sticker tells all. 84000 miles, nice shape, I've been running around this AM gathering up lubricants and parts to do a service.
Issues I do see: the car has a thump, coming from the pass. side, that gets quieter and faster with road speed. It also gets quieter if you turn or bend left, and louder going right, so it's probabally a bearing. I haven't ahd the wheels in the air yet so I'll find out shortly. That's about the worst of it, some minor little things and I need to get an alignment and get proper sized tires on it.
vette2.jpgvette1.jpg

Congratulations...and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!!!

Putting on the correct size tires might help a lot!!

Let us know how you make out.

Elaine

Welllll......

I started in on the maintenance yesterday with a brake bleed and general look around while the wheels were off. Turns out at some point, the front wheels got swapped for 17 x 8.5's instead of the 9.5's they're supposed to be. I can't imagine why anyone would do that, I don't see any evidence of a front end crash or damage. Maybee it was for asthetics, one of the preivious owners didn't like the way it looked....

Other than that everything seems reasonablly tight and clean, no evidence of leakeage from the diff, and after some generous greasing the front ball joints no longer groan and complain when the wheel is turned.

Will have to shop around for some wheels, then, I guess.

Not sure why anyone would do that either. I like the idea of having the same size all 4 corners. Enjoy!!

Not sure why anyone would do that either. I like the idea of having the same size all 4 corners. Enjoy!!
Really? There's some weird ideas that float in here until we ejumicate them! :L

I like the corners to match, too, and am bummed that 315s are so rare.

Welcome to the Vette world, New Guy! I hope your brake fluid was a total change; cheap insurance!

Brake fluid flush was total, of course I forgot to bring it with me when I went to the hobby shop to change other fluids so the clutch will have to wait. AS will the fuel filter, I forgot to pick one up.
I got the car aligned that morning as well, the tech said the rear adn front were both off, there's a bit more road noise from the tires now but the thumping sound is all but gone. And the car handles much better.
I swapped the tranny fluid with the GM stuff, but the old part number has been superceded. Of course the parts guy who told me that also sold me the wrong oil drain plug bolt, but as near as I can tell from the interneck it's the correct superceded number. I found a local red line dealer, so I may try some of their shockproof oil, that's waht came out of the transmission.
Otherwise, I don't see any issues, a little oil around the shifting mechanism and some oil on the r/h side of the block but nothing out of the ordinary for an 80k car.
The rain this week has also shown that the roof leaks, oh well, but my new PSK from Ebay works perfectly. Give and take, right?

Really? There's some weird ideas that float in here until we ejumicate them! :L

I like the corners to match, too, and am bummed that 315s are so rare.

Welcome to the Vette world, New Guy! I hope your brake fluid was a total change; cheap insurance!

me too....
I remember how mine looked with 315 XGT miche mounted. From the rear it looked like the flintstones car! Only problem I had with that tire waz the rears wore out way faster then the fronts...for some reason.....

NOT a hijack!

the clutch will have to wait
Male sure you read how to do this or you'll have regrets. The slave has to be tilted upwards, 45* I think, or air will get trapped.

I remember how mine looked with 315 XGT miche mounted.
I was thinking of searching for either Michelin or G/Y GSCs. Were you happy with the Michelins?

Male sure you read how to do this or you'll have regrets. The slave has to be tilted upwards, 45* I think, or air will get trapped.

I was thinking of searching for either Michelin or G/Y GSCs. Were you happy with the Michelins?

I liked those 315 Michelins, but they did wear a little quick. I think they were XGT 315.
Michelin quick making the 315/16 XGT yrs ago. I looked everywhere. There might still be a 17".

Looks like it's Nitto, Kumho or Goodyear. I am leaning hard toward the only American tire company left, which is Goodyear. My experience with them on my car echoes others', with great performance and tire life exceeding most others, if not all.

Welcome to the cac, and luck with your new vette...................Billy:):)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom