Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New intake for crossfire = more HP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just saying the renegade really works, it performs like my TPI with the 3.54 gears, has power torque from a dead stop to the top end. It ran like a pig until I got the timing set right. Now it is pure fun to drive. It has alot of get up and go now. I was testing it with no insurance, tomorrow I will insure my renegade equiped crossfire and try to do some 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs. I think I will bump the timing up a little more.

I just got back from testing my 84 crossfire with a renegade intake with DCS 2" TB's. I have my timing set at 6 degrees(I will bump it up to 8) and my fuel pressure set at 15 psi.

My crossfire would run 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and now I am getting 5.6 with alot of wheel spin. I will try a 1/4 mile run with my g-tech when there is less traffic on my flat straight road.

I am very pleased with the performance of the renegade, it was worth the wait. It performs like a TPI but with a broader power range. My crossfire pulls harder now from a stop all the way up to 5500 rpm(that is where I shift my automatic manually). Before the renegade it would run out of pull at about 2800 rpm now it pulls all the way up to 3500 rpm and then pulls harder to 5500. I would bet that my top speed will be well over 150 mph now. Have not tested that yet, but it gets to 100 mph in a flash when you get on it on the highway.

I give the renegade my stamp of approval. DCS did a good job.

I would bet that my top speed will be well over 150 mph now.
It's a bet you'd lose. Guestimating top speed is one of the easiest ways to disappoint yourself when you actually learn the truth via testing.

To give a somewhat obtuse point of reference...
The Bugatti Veyron needs a paltry 270hp to hit 150mph.
It needs an additional 730hp to add on another 100mph.

The point? Top speed acceleration tapers off real fast after a certain point. Continued acceleration is not linear just as your tq and hp curves aren't linear.

Wait a minute...this is a much better reference and much closer to home.
Take the 1987 Callaway TwinTurbo. It had 365hp and 465tq. Top speed was around 160-170mph. You ain't anywhere near that, Bro...

Nonetheless...glad you're enjoying the new mod. :thumb It doesn't matter what the numbers end up being. If it puts a big ol' smile on your face, then it's worth every penny.

160-170mph.

Having driven a C5 at those speeds... it does take a big, wide stretch of road with no traffic to get up to that speed. I've gone that fast a couple of times on the A6 just outside Frankfurt in Germany in a C5.

Honestly, I'm not sure where in the US you'd get the chance to do that. Or Canada for that matter.

Like 'Dre says... as long as you got out of it what you wanted- that is all that counts.

:upthumbs

My crossfire would run 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and now I am getting 5.6 with alot of wheel spin. I will try a 1/4 mile run with my g-tech when there is less traffic on my flat straight road.
That is a significant drop in 0-60 times, indicating a 40+ HP increase. You must have an excellent running stock L83. 7 seconds flat is what I hear from 1984 owners with either autos or manuals. What performance levels did you g-tech post for the TPI?

It's a bet you'd lose. Guestimating top speed is one of the easiest ways to disappoint yourself when you actually learn the truth via testing.

To give a somewhat obtuse point of reference...
The Bugatti Veyron needs a paltry 270hp to hit 150mph.
It needs an additional 730hp to add on another 100mph.

The point? Top speed acceleration tapers off real fast after a certain point. Continued acceleration is not linear just as your tq and hp curves aren't linear.

Wait a minute...this is a much better reference and much closer to home.
Take the 1987 Callaway TwinTurbo. It had 365hp and 465tq. Top speed was around 160-170mph. You ain't anywhere near that, Bro...

Nonetheless...glad you're enjoying the new mod. :thumb It doesn't matter what the numbers end up being. If it puts a big ol' smile on your face, then it's worth every penny.

I don't know what you are getting at, an 85 does 150 easy, A stock 84 does 140-145 mph with a plugged off runners. Open them up and youwill get an improvement in top speed. I guess I will have to get out and hammer on it and let you know.

That is a significant drop in 0-60 times, indicating a 40+ HP increase. You must have an excellent running stock L83. 7 seconds flat is what I hear from 1984 owners with either autos or manuals. What performance levels did you g-tech post for the TPI?

They say 84 vette 7 second 0-60, 1/4 mile 15.5. But a number of people with bone stock crossfires run 15.1 with no mods. I will be interested what my 1/4 mile is.

I will be bumping the timing up to 8 degrees and see what happens.

My 85 vette has 3.54 gears, its 0-60 is 5.5 to 5.7 range.

They say 84 vette 7 second 0-60, 1/4 mile 15.5. But a number of people with bone stock crossfires run 15.1 with no mods. I will be interested what my 1/4 mile is.

I will be bumping the timing up to 8 degrees and see what happens.

My 85 vette has 3.54 gears, its 0-60 is 5.5 to 5.7 range.
You got me beat. I've timed my 1989 TPI with a stop watch and g-tech pro, and it averages low 6 seconds 0-60 and 14.9 seconds at 96 MPH in the quarter. This is a stock L98 with optional 3.08 axle. When I had my 1988 with 2.59 and auto, it averaged upper 6 seconds and 15.3 at 92. I don't ever remember a stock L83 keeping up with either vette.

I don't know what you are getting at, an 85 does 150 easy, A stock 84 does 140-145 mph with a plugged off runners. Open them up and you will get an improvement in top speed. I guess I will have to get out and hammer on it and let you know.
:eyerole:chuckle
No car's noted top speed is "easy" to get to. I didn't mention it last night, but I see it coming so I'll say it now. Speedometers are notoriously inaccurate at higher speeds. (Or inaccurate at lower speeds if they are accurate at high speeds). You can't go by just your speedo or the G-tech. You'll need another source of confirmation such as a radar/laser gun, a GPS, or a pace car of a different mfg. Or a really long stretch of road that you can mark off exact distances and have someone time you through it when you car gets to the point where further acceleration is minimal.

A chassis dyno can tell you top speed based on engine output and gearing, but it doesn't take into effect wind resistance / drag coefficients, so it's not an accurate measurement.

Take it easy, What do you want me to do to please you take it to the salt flats or something.;shrug

I don't know what you are getting at, an 85 does 150 easy
Evo - Don't you know you cannot use conventional or even unconventional wisdom to get a point across sometimes... Some people know what they know and that is all there is to it (sadly).

CG

Evo - Don't you know you cannot use conventional or even unconventional wisdom to get a point across sometimes... Some people know what they know and that is all there is to it (sadly).
It's all good. I deal with this mentality on a somewhat daily basis at work. I'm used to it. Water off a duck's back.
There's another thread currently in progress on the site with someone else disagreeing with me about other things. No big thing to me; everyone is entitled to be wrong, even me. :L
As I said previously...as long as he or anyone else is happy with the purchase, that's what matters; not bench racing numbers.

:beer

It's all good. I deal with this mentality on a somewhat daily basis at work. I'm used to it. Water off a duck's back.
There's another thread currently in progress on the site with someone else disagreeing with me about other things. No big thing to me; everyone is entitled to be wrong, even me. :L
As I said previously...as long as he or anyone else is happy with the purchase, that's what matters; not bench racing numbers.

:beer

:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

;LOL:rotfl:L:D:):confused I don't get it.

Thanks for the compliment and I do mean that. :thumb As you may already know, we have seen a 32HP gain to the rear wheels on a stock CF that we originally tested. However, we MAY have seen more than that and have NEVER posted it. WOW! Wouldn't that be nice? :D Your numbers will vary, but it will run well when done corretly.

We are rather curious to see how his 84 runs with those 2 incher TBs though since we don't recomend them on a stocker. In our tests we never tested a stock motor with the manifold and 2" TBs, but we did test it with a couple different 383s with nice results.

I don't know what you are getting at, an 85 does 150 easy, . Open them up and you will get an improvement in top speed. .
Terminal velocity has to do with a lot more than all out Hp .
Drag co-efficient / ability of engine to pull high revs in O/d factor in.
The ZF6 cars don't accel well in 6th ( .50 ) ; is only for cruising

Thanks for the compliment and I do mean that. :thumb As you may already know, we have seen a 32HP gain to the rear wheels on a stock CF that we originally tested. However, we MAY have seen more than that and have NEVER posted it. WOW! Wouldn't that be nice? :D Your numbers will vary, but it will run well when done corretly.

We are rather curious to see how his 84 runs with those 2 incher TBs though since we don't recomend them on a stocker. In our tests we never tested a stock motor with the manifold and 2" TBs, but we did test it with a couple different 383s with nice results.
Any chance you'd be willing to post the before and after torque curves from those dyno runs along with a detailed list of anything else that was tweaked during the install?

Any chance you'd be willing to post the before and after torque curves from those dyno runs along with a detailed list of anything else that was tweaked during the install?

Unfortunately John, no. There's a really good reason why we haven't posted any dyno runs that we have done and I'm not trying to be a jerk here in any way. I'd rather not go into those reasons, but they good ones.

I can tell you that the 82 that was last tested was bone stock, had about 135K+ on the motor, the FP was set to 14psi (before and after) and the timing was at 8* (before and after). The kicker was that the motor was missing at the time a little at around 5K and we still saw a good increase in power. It was later that the miss issue was found, but we didn't retest it at that point unfortunately. You will see the max power somewhere around 4800-5100rpm range on a stock CF, but like all things, this number will vary.

We can not and will not post something like... "by changing your manifold to ours, you'll get 32+HP gain") We can't do that for many different reasons including legal. We do say that, we did "see" this much of an increase in our testing, your gain will vary. Honestly, I wish we could post the numbers and then see what people said. Thanks for asking though.

Unfortunately John, no. There's a really good reason why we haven't posted any dyno runs that we have done and I'm not trying to be a jerk here in any way. I'd rather not go into those reasons, but they good ones.

I can tell you that the 82 that was last tested was bone stock, had about 135K+ on the motor, the FP was set to 14psi (before and after) and the timing was at 8* (before and after). The kicker was that the motor was missing at the time a little at around 5K and we still saw a good increase in power. It was later that the miss issue was found, but we didn't retest it at that point unfortunately. You will see the max power somewhere around 4800-5100rpm range on a stock CF, but like all things, this number will vary.

We can not and will not post something like... "by changing your manifold to ours, you'll get 32+HP gain") We can't do that for many different reasons including legal. We do say that, we did "see" this much of an increase in our testing, your gain will vary. Honestly, I wish we could post the numbers and then see what people said. Thanks for asking though.
I didn't mean to hold your feet to the fire for numbers. Peak Hp doesn't really interest me much.
Your intake looks like a nice quality piece, but I try to keep my power in the RPM range that I use on the street. My question comes from concern over the effect that the lower air velocity through the larger runners will have on low end torque. I understand the need for legal disclaimers but, is there any chance that some "example" curves will be published at some point so we can see what the power band looks like? Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom