Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New intake for crossfire = more HP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately since you did not collect any base line numbers, anything that you do produce now will have much less validity for the improvement of the intake.

I don't think LT1 guys would agree. Let me guess, you think the LSx stuff is crap too. Before posting think about it. I didn't see anyone in here telling you your crossfire was crap.

BTW, the multiple quote function works well. I can show you how that works.

How do you use the multiquote thing?

I will do before and after 1/4 mile times. I have been busy lately and I had to wait for my gaskets to come in the mail. Then fathers day today. I will do some 1/4 mile times tomorrow or the next day then start tearing down my intake.

If you want 1/4 mile times stay tuned. My engine is mostly stock with free flowing exhaust and a chip and some other junk K&N,pullies, etc...

Last time I ran it I think I got a 14.8- 14.9 1/4 mile So with this renegade I should hit 14.4 to 14.5 being realistic, leets hope remember it is just an intake swap no cam or heads.

I will do before and after 1/4 mile times. I have been busy lately and I had to wait for my gaskets to come in the mail. Then fathers day today. I will do some 1/4 mile times tomorrow or the next day then start tearing down my intake.

If you want 1/4 mile times stay tuned. My engine is mostly stock with free flowing exhaust and a chip and some other junk K&N,pullies, etc...

Last time I ran it I think I got a 14.8- 14.9 1/4 mile So with this renegade I should hit 14.4 to 14.5 being realistic, leets hope remember it is just an intake swap no cam or heads.

Is 14.8 -.9 average for crossfires? Seems slow, but I never took mine to the strip back in the day, so I don't know.

Is 14.8 -.9 average for crossfires? Seems slow, but I never took mine to the strip back in the day, so I don't know.
At least according to G-tech I pulled pretty close to a flat 14 with the stock intake.

A bone stock 84 crossfire will run 15.1 to 15.3 in the 1/4 mile. With my basic mods thats what I got with my g-tech. By the way My tear down of my crossfire has started last night should have it off today and all the gaskets scraped off and then tomorrow I should have it bolted back on if I don't run into any snags. I have read that some people put sealant around the water ports and some put sealant around the water ports or jackets and also around the air ports? Should I do both or a waste of time?

Intake is off and I have scraped the gaskets off and cleaned the surface. I will look it over today to see if I missed any crap on there from last night.

I checked out my crossfire and it is totally stock no mods done inside. So this will be a good example what a renegade will do on a stock crossfire.

I will bolt the renegade on tonight.:thumb

"G-Tech" data is generally not credible for other than A-B comparisons in the same vehicle because of the G-Tech's poorly designed mounting system. That compromise exists to keep the price of that device low. Credible data can be derived from accelerometer devices, but those devices need to be a little more sophisticated and accurate than a G-Tech. In short, a G-Tech is adequate for basic tuning but is not, IMO, acceptable if the task is acquiring data one would use to market or advocate a performance part.

Drag strip testing means nothing unless, it's a true A-B or A-B-A test using the same car, the same rear tires, the same driver, the same track, the same timing devices and under similar atmospheric conditions.

What's missing here is SAE-corrected data from chassis dyno testing.

I suspect it's missing because the parties acting as Renegade evangelists and doing the "testing" are not inclined to subject the Renegade to impartial testing.

What happened to the test and article "Super Chevy" magazine was going to do? If the magazine has tested the Renegade, why not reveal the test results?

I checked out my crossfire and it is totally stock no mods done inside. So this will be a good example what a renegade will do on a stock crossfire.
Glad you're finally getting it done, but it doesn't serve as a good example to the community because you have no hard baseline numbers to compare it to. Nonetheless... :thumb

Damn rights, I would own anything over a crappy LT1 anyday. At least I will make it home and not have a check engine light on steady

Crappy? The only thing we b***h about is the distributor/optispark setup because there is nothing else to b***h about. In addition, i dont have a SES light illuminated on my LT1. But as far as that is concerned, we LTx guys are proud of our engines just like you are with your X-fire. So i suggest that you dont make stereotypical statements about other engines. If you like your engine and want to mod it, thats great. Personally, its not the setup for me.

Aside from that, be sure to scan dyno sheets and 1/4 mile sheets if you ever get around to it.

Crappy? The only thing we b***h about is the distributor/optispark setup because there is nothing else to b***h about. In addition, i dont have a SES light illuminated on my LT1. But as far as that is concerned, we LTx guys are proud of our engines just like you are with your X-fire. So i suggest that you dont make stereotypical statements about other engines. If you like your engine and want to mod it, thats great. Personally, its not the setup for me.

Aside from that, be sure to scan dyno sheets and 1/4 mile sheets if you ever get around to it.

It is not just the opti crap that I don't like, its the all those crappy little buttons on the dash, and why do so many LT1 vettes have those crappy highway gears in them and don't get me started on those crappy square tail lights, etc .....

This is just my opinon on the later C4 vettes, I am glad you love your late C4 with the LT1 in it.:thumb

You want my dyno scanned, I could scan my butt dyno for ya.

Please stay on topic this is about the renegade intake.;squint:

Damn rights, I would own anything over a crappy LT1 anyday. At least I will make it home and not have a check engine light on steady.
OK you made the first strike..
and a second

It is not just the opti crap that I don't like, its the all those crappy little buttons on the dash, and why do so many LT1 vettes have those crappy highway gears in them and don't get me started on those crappy square tail lights, etc .....

This is just my opinon on the later C4 vettes, I am glad you love your late C4 with the LT1 in it.:thumb

You want my dyno scanned, I could scan my butt dyno for ya.

Please stay on topic this is about the renegade intake.;squint:
I'd take my crappy LT1 over your crossfire any day of the week even with the renagade....

Let me know when your renagade equiped engine hits 7000 rpm...my crappy LT1 does 7K every day..... using factory intake and head castings, and GMs OPTISPARK ....

....if you post your dyno results I'll post ones from my LT1 that are HIGHER....

As for older C4s I'd rather have a 5.0 mustang than a pre 92 C4 (ZR1 excluded)

I hate the locomotive nose and flat rear......and the stupid digidash..stupid seats...older c4s look like DISCO FEVER....

Intake is off and I have scraped the gaskets off and cleaned the surface. I will look it over today to see if I missed any crap on there from last night.

I will bolt the renegade on tonight.:thumb
Most of the crap is located under and to the rear of the crossfire intake.

LT1s forever....

Here's a datalog just a rch over 7,000 using a GM STOCK OPTISPARK.

Goodluck with your slow ugly ass round taillight disco dash car....

mike

Presentation1.jpg

Alright guys, let's bring this back on topic... If you want to compare engines, interiors, likes/dislikes, fine. You can either PM back & forth all day until one of you gets tired of the banter or you can start a new thread.
This topic/thread is almost nearing the end of it's 2 year run. Let's not completely derail it now.

CHHHOOOOO CHHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Ya stay on topic, I think someone is trolling or shilling or what ever it is called these days.

Anyways I am almost done my install I took a break the last few days. Deciding which way to go on the whole gasket install think.

Some people say to put the rtv sealant on the gasket and let it dry and other say to put it on and then install right away? Which is the proper way to do it? When it comes to the intake gaskets? What about the bolts some say to put thread locker medium gel on them and some say to put silicone on them? Which way do you guys do it for best results?

If you help me out, I will ease up on the threads, deal?:chuckle

Ya stay on topic, I think someone is trolling or shilling or what ever it is called these days.

Anyways I am almost done my install I took a break the last few days. Deciding which way to go on the whole gasket install think.

Some people say to put the rtv sealant on the gasket and let it dry and other say to put it on and then install right away? Which is the proper way to do it? When it comes to the intake gaskets? What about the bolts some say to put thread locker medium gel on them and some say to put silicone on them? Which way do you guys do it for best results?

How about some pictures?

If you use the gaskets with the silicone bead around the intake ports, I would not use any sealant except on the ends of the manifold (front / rear). Some guys use a dab of sealant to hold the gasket(s) in place while putting the intake on.

Intake bolts - for the one(s) that go into a water jacket, I would use a sealant on, but not on the other ones nor would I use thread lock.

"Ease up on the threads"? We can handle it... you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

CG

I would think that the Renegade guys would be the source for that info. A little post sales follow-up from the guys that created it. They should know and be willing to answer all your questions.

You'll want thread sealant on the bolts going from the intake to the head. Without it oil will seep up around the bolts to puddle on and in your pretty intake.

I took a break the last few days.
How long does a intake swap take? :eyerole
I can swap from HSR to Vic Jnr /750 DP in 3 hours; up and running
You don't even have to change the TB's or fuel supply

You'll want thread sealant on the bolts going from the intake to the head. Without it oil will seep up around the bolts to puddle on and in your pretty intake.

How much thread sealant do you put on just one light bead down the threads of the bolt?

I think I will put the sealant around the water jackets only, but what should I use, DCS says uktra blue rtv, I also permatex #2 and ultra copper. which would be best for the intake gaskets? I asked DCS and they told me to read the how to section on their website but it is unclear if I am supose to put the rtv on both sides of the intake gasket?????????

How much thread sealant do you put on just one light bead down the threads of the bolt?

I think I will put the sealant around the water jackets only, but what should I use, DCS says uktra blue rtv, I also permatex #2 and ultra copper. which would be best for the intake gaskets? I asked DCS and they told me to read the how to section on their website but it is unclear if I am suppose to put the rtv on both sides of the intake gasket?????????
On Chevy small block heads some of the bolt holes for the intake extend into the rocker area which is oiled. Your trying to keep this oil from seeping up the treads. I clean the bolt holes with mineral spirits on a Q-tip and use Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant (PX #59214) on each bolt to the head. I apply a bead down one side and then use the tip of the tube to push the bead around the bolt so that the threads are lightly wetted all around.

I'd spread a thin layer of rtv on both sides of the gasket. Part of the reason for the rtv is really just to hold the gasket in place as you install the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom