Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New intake for crossfire = more HP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Nelson 84"....what's your best guess on peak horsepower now that you have a Renegade installed and where in the rpm band is that power occurring?
Wouldn't he be able to discern torque more than horsepower? :confused
(That's not me "calling you out"...:))

Wow if I need to mess with the tune this thing is going to produce more power than I figuired. I better get a 4 point harness so I stay in the seat.:thumb

The need for a "tune" has nothing to do with how much power the engine makes. Its simply different than stock...thus WILL require calibration.

Wouldn't he be able to discern torque more than horsepower? :confused
(That's not me "calling you out"...:))

Well...I know how my C3 performs via my "butt dyno".

I want to see what "nelson84's" butt dyno says.

All this Renegade talk is starting to give me the willies. I may have to put nitrous on my car to keep ahead of ole "nelson 84".:thumb

I have been following this thread for some time and I think I finally want to comment.

Why are we trying to get bigger HP out of a TBI setup??? You can get more HP out of a built SBC that is carbed for less $. Or you could go TPI for less $ and get more HP. Or stop messing around and put a LT1 or even BETTER a LSX in it.

To each his own I just don't see the point of modifying a TBI car. Unless you gut the engine and build it right with higher compression, better heads, intake, cam, etc...but by that time you could have had a LS1. Cause in the end you still have a SBC being fed by two big injectors that are barely better than a carburetor.

This is not a flame or anything like that, I just don't see the point of it.

This guy put his post in the wrong place but he has got the right idea.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c4-technical-performance/122477-82-guage-rewire-problem-first-post-what-great-start.html

I'm just saying...my 2 cents worth. Done.

Well some guys want to retain the functioning dash, they don't want to rewire their car, they dont want to cut holes in things that prevent them from going back to stock. I always thought it funny when someone tells earlier c4 owners to install an LT1, you want us to have those silly optispark problems those lt1 guys always have, no thanks.

I have been following this thread for some time and I think I finally want to comment.

Why are we trying to get bigger HP out of a TBI setup??? You can get more HP out of a built SBC that is carbed for less $. Or you could go TPI for less $ and get more HP. Or stop messing around and put a LT1 or even BETTER a LSX in it.

To each his own I just don't see the point of modifying a TBI car. Unless you gut the engine and build it right with higher compression, better heads, intake, cam, etc...but by that time you could have had a LS1. Cause in the end you still have a SBC being fed by two big injectors that are barely better than a carburetor.

This is not a flame or anything like that, I just don't see the point of it.

This guy put his post in the wrong place but he has got the right idea.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c4-technical-performance/122477-82-guage-rewire-problem-first-post-what-great-start.html

I'm just saying...my 2 cents worth. Done.
To answer some of your questions... Nostalgia and Evolution

Nostalgia - To preserve and appreciate the item for what it is.

Evolution - The Cross-Fire was a stepping stone to better EFI systems. TBI in itself is not a bad induction system, it has limitations just like anything else.

The most amusing part about all of this is that most people have no clue when it comes to getting more performance out of a vehicle. They are stuck in some time warp and just want to buy "that" cam that has a lumpy idle because it sounds cool. If it is not that, it is some other useless mod that nets zero power, but they did it because somebody else did it. Getting real useful power out of an engine is not a hard concept to comprehend, but it sure is misinterpreted.

CG

I would agree with the previous two posts. In addition, some of us just enjoy the challenge...call us crazy but its fun.

I came very close myself to going the LSx route with my '84, but eventually decided against it.

To answer the question above, because crossfire engines are unique and cool. That is why I am installing a renegade, to keep it CFI.:thumb

That is why I am installing a renegade, to keep it CFI.:thumb
And I thought it was because you wanted to keep a topic going on here for 18 months

As noted MANY times before on this and other C4 Forums ;
this thread is pointless without hard before and after data :BDH
Butt-O-Meter don't cut it

Like I said guys, you want to mess around with Cross Fire, go ahead, to each his own.
I can see the appreciation of the technological advance to TBI from carbs but getting nostalgic over a Cross Fire? It is not the Rochester FI from the 57-65 cars, that might be worth getting nostalgic over but hey that is just me. To each his own, besides having something a bit different can be a good thing. In the end its all Corvette, and its all good. :beer

"Nelson 84"....what's your best guess on peak horsepower now that you have a Renegade installed and where in the rpm band is that power occurring?

We don't guess on "corvette action center" We produce results, accurately calibrated in near perfectly matching conditions. I am not going to do any guessing. I will produce proper 1/4 mile times. This how we roll at CAC.

Well...I know how my C3 performs via my "butt dyno".

I want to see what "nelson84's" butt dyno says.

All this Renegade talk is starting to give me the willies. I may have to put nitrous on my car to keep ahead of ole "nelson 84".:thumb

There sure seems to be alot of interest in my butt lately.

Well some guys want to retain the functioning dash, they don't want to rewire their car, they dont want to cut holes in things that prevent them from going back to stock. I always thought it funny when someone tells earlier c4 owners to install an LT1, you want us to have those silly optispark problems those lt1 guys always have, no thanks.

Damn rights, I would own anything over a crappy LT1 anyday. At least I will make it home and not have a check engine light on steady.

And I thought it was because you wanted to keep a topic going on here for 18 months

As noted MANY times before on this and other C4 Forums ;
this thread is pointless without hard before and after data :BDH
Butt-O-Meter don't cut it

I don't get it more interest in my butt. I thought this was a forum for corvettes or unless corvette is french for hinney.

We produce results, accurately calibrated in near perfectly matching conditions. I am not going to do any guessing. I will produce proper 1/4 mile times. This how we roll at CAC.
So what are you 1/4 times now BEFORE the intake install?

We don't guess on "corvette action center" We produce results, accurately calibrated in near perfectly matching conditions. I am not going to do any guessing. I will produce proper 1/4 mile times. This how we roll at CAC.

Unfortunately since you did not collect any base line numbers, anything that you do produce now will have much less validity for the improvement of the intake.

Damn rights, I would own anything over a crappy LT1 anyday. At least I will make it home and not have a check engine light on steady.

I don't think LT1 guys would agree. Let me guess, you think the LSx stuff is crap too. Before posting think about it. I didn't see anyone in here telling you your crossfire was crap.

So what are you 1/4 times now BEFORE the intake install?

BTW, the multiple quote function works well. I can show you how that works.

Unless you plan on just drag racing your Cross-Fire, 1/4 miles times don't tell the whole story. How about overall drivibility, mileage, hot starts, cold starts, etc?

How long is the intake install going to take? We are all very curious about the results... I hope not another 18 months...

CG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom