Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New intake for crossfire = more HP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that tobroketoretire will have his renegade installed by friday.:thumb

Friday has come and gone. Any update on the renegade install? Pictures would suffice.

Friday has come and gone. Any update on the renegade install? Pictures would suffice.

You would have to ask him. I don't want to speak for him, but he did recieve it and he painted it first and installed it. I don't know if he has taken it for a test run yet. He might be fine tuning it, setting the tb's and timing. He did say the casting is top drawer.

I get mine on the 8th, according to UPS tracking. Unless ups goes on strike or the truck gets a flat tire.

You would have to ask him. I don't want to speak for him, but he did recieve it and he painted it first and installed it. I don't know if he has taken it for a test run yet. He might be fine tuning it, setting the tb's and timing. He did say the casting is top drawer.

I get mine on the 8th, according to UPS tracking. Unless ups goes on strike or the truck gets a flat tire.

I just got my Renegade installed then I broke the PCV valve. The new valve won't be in until Monday afternoon. In the meantime I have repaired my PCV valve with JB-Weld and I'm waiting for the JB-Weld to cure. I'll most likely drive my car Sunday morning. Can't wait.

Actually 33 at the wheels is (figuring 18% loss in the C3/C4 powertrain) 40 at the flywheel. You've spent probably a ton of money and development time for 40 horses....and at 245 you're right where a stock TPI engine can be. I think nitrous oxide would have been a lot easier.

I don't know why people keep trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Any low cross ram manifold has never worked on the street. Too much plenum volume and too low intake velocity such that, sure, you get a lot of power and a sharp torque peak but lousy driveability and no low end.

At the time GM did that, it didn't have big throttle body injectors and port injection was still 2-3 years in the future so some fool, who must have been looking at old SCCA Trans-Am engines, got the hots for a 2x4 TBI on a cross ram.

Bad idea.

Once protos were running they found out what others knew back in the 60s that low-rise cross rams don't work on the street.

The solution....they made the ports freakin' tiny to get the velocity up. A pal of mine, who used to work at GM for Herb Fishel's old group told me that he knew two engineers who paid for new homes with the overtime it took to get that system to run right and pass emissions.

The smartest thing you can do is convert L83s to TPI or some of the large port/large plenum aftermarket port injection systems.

On the other hand, I well-understand the cultural attraction of having 2xTBI, 3x2bbl, 2x4bbl or two or three of anything on top of your engine (I admit to be a recovering dual-four-barrel carb addict) and, if the goal is to keep those two nasty looking throttle bodys and have horsepower, as long as your willing to give up a good torque curve, any low cross ram with big ports will make power!:thumb
i don't think they ever got it to pass coastdown emissions with a manual trans.

The earliest UPS will go on strike is 2013. I hope you finally have your Renegade by then.

image001-1.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

Well, got a few thoughts on this at the moment.

-This thread is approaching the 2 year old mark, yet i constantly see a couple members over the time frame saying they are getting it soon. Just when is "soon?" Has anyone actually recieved, installed and tested this intake? And if so, would they please post some Dyno sheets and 1/4 mile times with the new setup?

-I imagine to make this new intake work "properly" i assume a new tune is needed? What is the RPM range on this system? Will you need to port your heads to match the larger runner ports? Will you need the larger TBs to recieve adequate flow to maintain the larger runners CFM capacity? It just feels like expense on top of expense right now for this setup.

Im not bashing the system, merely questioning it, especially on how long this thread has been going.

The earliest UPS will go on strike is 2013. I hope you finally have your Renegade by then.

Thanks dude, now you get to hear about the install and the serious torque that will pin you back in the seat. I think it is interesting to hear about all the renegade performance. Everybody seems to have different mods done to their crossfire. My engine is mostly stock with the stock cam and heads. We will see what it does.

Well, got a few thoughts on this at the moment.

-This thread is approaching the 2 year old mark, yet i constantly see a couple members over the time frame saying they are getting it soon. Just when is "soon?" Has anyone actually recieved, installed and tested this intake? And if so, would they please post some Dyno sheets and 1/4 mile times with the new setup?

-I imagine to make this new intake work "properly" i assume a new tune is needed? What is the RPM range on this system? Will you need to port your heads to match the larger runner ports? Will you need the larger TBs to recieve adequate flow to maintain the larger runners CFM capacity? It just feels like expense on top of expense right now for this setup.

Im not bashing the system, merely questioning it, especially on how long this thread has been going.

I know of 7 people that have the renegade installed, I will have my renegade on the 8th tuesday. I can take some pictures if you want but this forum won't allow any boobies so they will just be of the intake. Each renegade has a serial number, I will let you know what number I am and I will post 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It will take some experimenting to tell what rpm to shift at. This intake produces power well above 4000 rpm up to 6000. The automatic trans likes to shift below 5000 rpm so will have to shift it manually to try and get the quickest time.

I can take some pictures if you want but this forum won't allow any boobies so they will just be of the intake
Yeah, it's because in this forum, we prefer function over fashion. "Boobies" are easy to find on the net. The majority of our members don't come here for that. Worthwhile technical info takes a little bit more effort. That's what most people expect to find here or hopefully even contribute.
One doesn't pick up a Hustler mag expecting to find an article on quantum mechanics.

Anyways, it's obvious we do allow some boobs on the site. I mean, you're still here and posting, right??? :harhar

Yeah, it's because in this forum, we prefer function over fashion. "Boobies" are easy to find on the net. The majority of our members don't come here for that. Worthwhile technical info takes a little bit more effort. That's what most people expect to find here or hopefully even contribute.
One doesn't pick up a Hustler mag expecting to find an article on quantum mechanics.

Anyways, it's obvious we do allow some boobs on the site. I mean, you're still here and posting, right??? :harhar

Hey, I have seen corvettes in hustler.;shrug Corvettes and boobies go hand in hand. Why else do we drive them?:thumb This is starting to get a little off topic, now back to me and my renegade intake manifold. According to ups my renegade has now left Salt Lake City and is headed north. It is suppose to be here tomorrow, I hope so for this forums sake, everyone is on pins and needles waiting for my next post.

Stay tuned.:eek:hnoes

It doesn't matter as there are other carriers. I think the post office will also deliver them. The shipping weight was listed as 20 pounds when I was tracking my Renegade.

By the way. I got my Renegade installed on Saturday and I'm really impressed with the additional performance. My 60-100's improved by several seconds; proof that the Renegade breathes much better than a Crossfire.

It doesn't matter as there are other carriers. I think the post office will also deliver them. The shipping weight was listed as 20 pounds when I was tracking my Renegade.

By the way. I got my Renegade installed on Saturday and I'm really impressed with the additional performance. My 60-100's improved by several seconds; proof that the Renegade breathes much better than a Crossfire.

:thumb renegades rule.

Let the glittering seat of the pants, butt dyno performance reviews begin.:Twist

SO all you guys that pre ordered are getting them as we speak? I would like to see some feed back before I order mine. If I decide to order one I wonder if they are now on BACK order???;shrug

When can we see some before and after comparisons using a stop watch, gtech or iphone? Looking for 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 0-30 and 60 compares. I'm sure this intake will improve power in the upper RPMs vs. stock. Would really like to understand what was given up on the lower end of the RPM scale. I've raced two 1984s from dead stops, and both lost in the first 100 feet. I'm not trying to bash L83s, just trying to understand the real performance value of this modification.

I am curious as to what type of re-tuning is being done when the Renegade manifold is fitted?

CG

I was planning on installing the renegade as is with no adjustments, and see what it does. Then raise the fuel pressure and adjust the timing and see what happens. It will actually make driving my crossfire fun again. I actually didn't drive it last summer, I drove my 85 vette instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom